734     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 538     0 

Subway train in service with lights out

W

wyliepoon

This morning I was on my way to work, taking the Bloor-Danforth subway westbound to Bathurst. I was really tired, so I slept past Bathurst and had to get off at Christie and backtrack. The time was about 7:15am.

The train I took eastbound back to Bathurst was quite a shock. The train was one of the old H-3s that still run on the B-D, but the interior lights in the centre two cars were off. While the guard's car (the fourth car) was empty except for the guard, the third car had passengers in it, and there were even some standees! I did not feel like experiencing stygian darkness this morning, so I rode in the fifth car, which was packed (but on second thought I should have gone to the third car to take a video and send it to CityTV).

I've been in some H-6 trains that are notorious for lights that dim whenever they go through a switch, and I've seen trains that lost power and were stuck in stations, but this is, in my opinion, even more strange.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but I'm sure you're thinking of the H-4s.

My story is that I was riding north on a 6 Bay bus from Dundas earlier. The destination sign said "160 Bathurst North/to New Westminster/Extra Fare Required/North of Steeles". The driver said the sign was stuck.

And going north on Keele at Dundas, I saw a southbound bus showing "52 Lawrence West".

Both were GM New Looks.

Apparently lights going off on subway cars, normally caused by a tripped breaker, is quite common. They'll just have to call in one of the roaming subway mechanics (who may well have been waiting for the train to arrive at Yonge or St. George) who knows what panel to remove and which breaker to throw. If, after this, the breaker trips again and the lights refuse to stay on, then the train would be taken out of service.

"The train was one of the old H-3s that still run on the B-D"

Are these the trains that still display pre-Sheppard subway maps? After not seeing one for months, I thought they were extinct, but last week I spotted one migrating from Kennedy to Kipling.

In regards to screwed up route/desitination signs on buses, I followed a 192 Rocket to the airport last week that declared it was a 23.

What's up with the signs?

A Warden bus I took last week was signed "Rochester Ferry" after it went out of service.

That's really weird. The 23 and 192 are from completely different operating divisions, as are the 6 and 160, and with the Rochester Ferry example, I wonder how a sign could be "stuck" after being set.

And the 192 uses all low floor buses, with newer signs.

Back