News   Apr 18, 2024
 337     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 425     0 

Submission 16: O.R.E. - "The Braided Strands"

How would rate Submission 16 out of ten?

Votes: 78 56.1%

Votes: 26 18.7%

Votes: 15 10.8%

Votes: 8 5.8%

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 6 4.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
While the design is stunning, I have to ask: why would anyone want to sit on a bench, listen to music or meet others over noisy, smelly train tracks?

I agree that the design could use some greenery incorporated within and the Front St. amenities don't show a ramp for cyclists. Many cyclists heading to the waterfront are hauling trailers and trail-a-bikes and some ride heavy trikes. Carrying them up steps is cumbersome for most and impossible for some.

Have a look at comment #17 and 18

I said the same thing and the reply is really fun!
I'm sure this design will win this contest as it is well considered and beautifully rendered. I'm also dubious that it will be built. Have a look at my cheap and cheerful #2 offering!
m

How many man hours did this take?

Total of 200 hours - about 100 hours for the renderings and another 100 for the design and development etc. If we had more time, we had more ideas, especially for lighting, the front street landing portion and some "green" aspects. Gotta eat and sleep though too!

While the design is stunning, I have to ask: why would anyone want to sit on a bench, listen to music or meet others over noisy, smelly train tracks?

The inspiration for this was partly from observation on the bridge from Front St over the tracks to Skydome. You'd be surprised how many people/tourists stop and take in the view, take a picture of the CN Tower on the bridge. From the vantage point of this new pedestrian bridge west of Spadina, the City view will be even more spectacular, especially as the the City continues to grow. The future development of the Wellington Place neighbourhood (Globe and Mail site and the new boutique hotels, condos, offices) as well as the completion of CityPlace, the amount of traffic on this bridge will be dramatically increase, thereby attracting ancillary uses and opportunity. We like to think of it as "more than a bridge". For example, an artist contributing to Luminato could probably find a creative use for that space and tower as a canvas over a couple of weeks. It could be a great journey.

I agree that the design could use some greenery incorporated within and the Front St. amenities don't show a ramp for cyclists. Many cyclists heading to the waterfront are hauling trailers and trail-a-bikes and some ride heavy trikes. Carrying them up steps is cumbersome for most and impossible for some.

The last image in our submission is the Idea Diagram which shows a bike/wheelchair ramp on the east side of the Front St. landing. As for additional greenery on the Front St. side, we didn't show too many details of our landscaping in this area, but there is more on the east side than the west side. Our rendered view just didn't show it unfortunately because of the vantage point we chose. Agree generally, that the more the better.

S'Bus

This is my third-favourite design. It's nice, but I feel it would be too expensive and from some angles I don't like it as much. But I do like the tall part of it and the interwoven bridges.

raised landings?

Great design. I haven't looked closely at the site, but my main comment is that I was surprised to see the significantly raised landings on either end. Seems like this introduces an unnecessary barrier for a bridge that is supposed to be removing barriers to the south. If this design could somehow shrink those stairs & ramps, it would have my 100% support. I'd love to see seemless integration with the surrounding pedestrian realm.

As undesirable as the raised landings are, it meets the design criteria. GO requires so much height clearance over the rail tracks because of future electrification and sightlines, it makes it really difficult to avoid having these stairs and ramps.

This was my favourite... I loved the ideas of multiple ramps which cover winter crossing. bike crossing and good ol summer pedestrian crossing. Great design!

A pretty good proposal overall. The bridge itself doesn't match the tower as well as it could. I also don't know how much could really be done in those spaces, but it's an interesting, well thought out proposal that's also practical.

Congratulations!

picoftheday_large.jpg

The Braided Strands: A good winning choice...

3D: Good choice from the voters and the verdict of the Jury!
I hope to see this design become reality and hopefully the builders note that a great design has been proposed for this location. I really like it!
LI MIKE

Congrats. My favorite too. :)

Unfortunately, Adam Vaughan will have none of it.

I should mention however that the judges and the UT voting members turned a blind eye to the budget rule. I don't think that this bridge could be built for $10M, let alone the $2M that CityPlace is willing to spend on this span.
Nonetheless, the best design won. It's beautiful, functional and an instant go to spot in Toronto.

It won't get built as this CityPlace bridge, but hey, Fort York is looking at proposals. Maybe Joe Pantalone will be more receptive to community ideas (that's rhetorical: he often is ;) ).

I should mention however that the judges and the UT voting members turned a blind eye to the budget rule. I don't think that this bridge could be built for $10M, let alone the $2M that CityPlace is willing to spend on this span.

So #14 wins by default? :D The two sweetest words in the English language!

^ This wasn't a real RFP, otherwise O.R.E. wouldn't have been chosen. But because this is a design competition, I think the best proposal did win.

Heck, even my proposal wouldn't be considered (#5 - Ivy Tunnel). While I weighed heavily on the budgetary constraints which resulted in the segmented, pre-fabricated span beautified by nature, I threw the budget out the door by proposing that the north landing be on the empty lot that isn't owned by the city and would have to be expropriated (probably for more than $5M considering the location).

Back