News   Mar 28, 2024
 152     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 595     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Submission 13: Andrew Moore - "Skyspan"

How would you rate Submission 13 out of ten?

Votes: 18 16.8%

Votes: 12 11.2%

Votes: 25 23.4%

Votes: 14 13.1%

Votes: 8 7.5%

Votes: 5 4.7%

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 4 3.7%

Votes: 4 3.7%

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: Andrew Moore

Bridge Type: cable suspension

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION

"Skyspan"

Methodology - A cable suspension bridge clad in irregular shaped tiled blocks each containing a glass window looking out onto the city. These blocks can be multi-coloured to represent the many cultures of this city, or a more uniform choice can be implemented. Some of the glass windows can be etched with local history, images and facts. The block shapes represent the city skyline tapering off to the lake. I was toying with the idea of setting up the blocks to mimic the skyline from Eglinton south to the lake but i didn't have time.

At the support column I've added two sitting platforms creating a rest points and vantage locations out onto the city. I separated the pedestrian traffic from the bike/roller blade traffic. The centre bike/roller blade lane will be concrete and the two side pedestrian paths as well as the observation platforms would be cedar. The bridge itself would be clad in material found on the skywalk to tie it in with the other pedestrian bridges over the tracks. The colour is still up for negotiation.

Designer Notes:

1. "Skyspan" - gets its name from the Toronto skyline which inspired the design, and to tie it in with the Skywalk and Rogers(Skydome) Centre.

2. I was unable to light, texture and do beauty renders of this model as I lost the disc during my move on the weekend and was only able to locate it this morning. Now that I've moved and have a bit more spare time I'm going to finish this, tweak it and light it for you.

IMAGES

Moore-5.jpg

Moore-1.jpg

Moore-2.jpg

Moore-3.jpg

Moore-4.jpg

Moore-6.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, now that the deadline is fast approaching, there is a huge influx of new entries. This one is great! Perhaps the structure is a little to grey, but other than that, it's all good.

Wow! this one is great. the only thing that i don't like is the multi coloured glass(alot of people are going to disagree with me, i know) I guess maybe only a couple of colours like the podium of murano would be good but. blue green yellow blue purple and red just looks out of place for me. ohh i just notice the overhang on the side of this. GREAT idea!!! only haveing 1-3 colours on the side would make it better for me but anyway amazing bridge!!! great job.

jks, thanks for the comment.

What you're seeing is just a default texture applied to the whole file.

I'm not sure if we can post updates on here after 6pm today so I'll make this my last submission.

Just a few examples of the materials, colours, and materials I'd like to use for my final renders.

The glass, clear and or coloured I'd like to see etchings like this:
etched_glass_vinyl_sample_3.jpg

The glass wouldd be this vibrant, for whatever reason maya kept rendering out my glass faded.
red-glass-box-thumb.jpg

The rounded bottom section I'm going to clad to resemble the black tile on MLS

The pedestrian walkways would be hard wood running lengthwise
15-swiss6-450.jpg

Divided paved bike/rollerblade path
bike_path_westbound.jpg

The side boxes would be a translucent material with lights inside so at night the bridge could have a random light pattern effect. Not as over the top as this but the option would be there.

greenpix_led_wall.jpg

exposed cables

And finally the towers would be clad in a white or light tile same as the underside and from MLS.

I'll post final designs and hopfully some animations after the polling closes on the 12th.

Cheers.

The Skyspan: An interesting design!

A3D: I agree with your comments on the bridge and the use of colored lights make it even more interesting along with the colored glass panels above.
Picture lights on the towers and cables also making it even more interesting!
LI MIKE

I'm not sure if we can post updates on here after 6pm today so I'll make this my last submission.

i would definitely love to see your renders before the polls close, if you can get them in before then.

if you apply the things you set out in the post above, it'll be a very interesting design.

No Ramps

Lots of submissions have no entrance ramps to deal with the need to have the bridge high enough above the tracks. This is one. Nevertheless, I quite like this concept, It looks like it would stay up if built and answers the outcry for cable suspension. I think someone should pay you to make a less boxy drawing of it.

Oh! Oh!, I know...

...make the center support look like the CN tower in profile, sending out rays down over the city! The rail people ought to like that image!

Updated design using some suggestions mentioned here.

- Lost the cable supports in favour of a rigid frame design to cut costs
- Gave the bridge a "C" curve for added design
- Chose only blue-green hues for the glass
- Added temp stairs and off ramps for mobility
- Tried to emulate the city skyline from Bloor to the lake using the blocks

- Still need to Texture / Light

update_05.jpg

update_01.jpg

update_04.jpg

update_02.jpg

update_03.jpg

Last edited:
- Tried to emulate the city skyline from Bloor to the lake using the blocks

this is a cool and original idea. gives a neat relationship with the city.

looking forward to those textured renderings.

Great update Andrew... the gentle arc really elevates this design.

Would a 50-60 metre rigid frame span (the portion from Front to the pier location) be possible without disruption to train traffic? I assume it would have to be a single span lifted into place.

Andrew, are you going to create a night render of this bridge? I hope you have a chance to finish it. I really like the updated version you have on here.

Back