News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Streets that best represent the "essence" of their neighborhood

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
Was thinking about this as I walked down Walmer Rd. today. It's probably the street that best "captures" the Annex. It has lots of classic Annex style houses as well as less distinctive early 20th century ones, then gives way to 1960s era high rise buildings and has a subway entrance right by Bloor. It's not too far east or west, lacking both the "Yorkville-ish" feel around Bedford and Avenue Rd. or the near-"Seaton Village"-ness closer to Bathurst.

What are some streets in other areas that fit the bill?

At the risk of being immodest I'm going to propose Metcalfe St. for Cabbagetown. The one distinctive Cabbagetown feature that Metcalfe lacks is the cottages that you find on places like Amelia, but Metcalfe is the best example of Victorian rowhouses, which (IMHO) are the heart and soul of the 'hood.

At the risk of being immodest I'm going to propose Metcalfe St. for Cabbagetown. The one distinctive Cabbagetown feature that Metcalfe lacks is the cottages that you find on places like Amelia, but Metcalfe is the best example of Victorian rowhouses, which (IMHO) are the heart and soul of the 'hood.
But if it's the essence we seek, shouldn't we have cabbages in CT?

What does "essence of their neighbourhood mean". What's the essence of Jane & Finch?

Another contender is Old Forest Hill Rd. It includes everything from the uber-wealthy section above Kilbarry to the more "normal" FH mix of neo-Tudors and McMansions and apartments at Eglinton. And it runs both east and west of Spadina and north and south of Eglinton.

Last edited:
How about Wallace Ave. being the essence of the Junction Triangle? Reasons:
  • Flanked by two of the most recognizable landmarks in the neighbourhood: The Wallace Ave. Footbridge and the GE Water Tower.
  • Still some remnants of industry around Wallace/Rankin/Ward area and factory-loft conversion at west end.
  • Old AND new houses typical of the area.
  • Notable corner stores at Perth, Symington, and Campbell
  • Level railway crossing at east end of neighbourhood
  • Train galore at west end of the street (UP, GO, VIA, etc.)
  • Connection to the West Toronto Railpath

Always cracks me up when people refer to Cabbagetown it's always the super wealthy pockets of it as if its neighbourhood boundaries are defined by household income.

Metcalfe is hardly representative of the "essence" of the neighbourhood.

Was thinking of just from roughly College St. down to the end. You get Cafe Diplomatico at the corner of College, Bitondo down the street, some Little Italy rowhouses and the little narrow streets that cross Clinton. Of course Little Italy barely exists as an "Italian" area anymore.

Riverdale Ave. in Riverdale, both literally and figuratively speaking. Good mesh of dwelling type - rowhouse, semi and detached - and architectural styles.

Was thinking about this as I walked down Walmer Rd. today. It's probably the street that best "captures" the Annex. It has lots of classic Annex style houses as well as less distinctive early 20th century ones, then gives way to 1960s era high rise buildings and has a subway entrance right by Bloor. It's not too far east or west, lacking both the "Yorkville-ish" feel around Bedford and Avenue Rd. or the near-"Seaton Village"-ness closer to Bathurst.

What are some streets in other areas that fit the bill?

Looking again, I don't think there's really a "Seaton Village"-ness on streets like Albany and Howland. Just couldn't think of a better way to say to far west to fit the bill.

Always cracks me up when people refer to Cabbagetown it's always the super wealthy pockets of it as if its neighbourhood boundaries are defined by household income.

Metcalfe is hardly representative of the "essence" of the neighbourhood.

If we're talking about prime Cabbagetown - east of Parliament, north of Spruce - then Metcalfe is the essential street...in particular the stretch between Carlton and Winchester. Arguably Metcalfe is the best street in Cabbagetown but any stretch in prime Cabbagetown is going to be pretty uniform. Check it out on Halloween!

If you're casting a wider net including South Cabbagetown, then sure it's more patchy.

Riverdale Ave. in Riverdale, both literally and figuratively speaking. Good mesh of dwelling type - rowhouse, semi and detached - and architectural styles.

Interesting choice. (You forgot the lack of on street parking.)

I say that because, as a (former) 27 year resident of Riverdale -- two different streets -- I was always curious about Riverdale Avenue because it seemed lined with houses much older than those on the streets around it and it has a curious "jog" as it crosses Pape where the Harris mansion stands. It's just by the John Cox Cottage as well as just south of the reportedly 5000 year old indigenous village and burial ground. Pape Avenue School is on Riverdale. It just strikes me as what might have been the first actual east-west street in the area.

Back