News   Apr 26, 2024
 250     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 735     0 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
When was the last time a streetcar ran the length of Adelaide (not just the little loop it does near Spadina.

Anybody know if there are any plans to rips these tracks up? Or will they just be left to crumble and provide a tripping and cycling hazzard?

Are there other streets that have unused tracks?

:(

When was the last time a streetcar ran the length of Adelaide (not just the little loop it does near Spadina.

Anybody know if there are any plans to rips these tracks up? Or will they just be left to crumble and provide a tripping and cycling hazzard?

Are there other streets that have unused tracks?

:(

I believe Richmond street has some un-used tracks.

The tracks on Richmond are used frequently from Church to Victoria and less often from Victoria to York, usually as a diversion to by-pass Queen. They are supposed to be redone in 2012 (presumably a single track as it is now a one-way street.) The TTC are about to string new wires on new poles.

The track on Adelaide has not been used between Victoria and Charlotte for well over a decade. It had been scheduled for rebuilding in 2012 or 2013 but was not listed on last TTC trackwork listing but they still talk about fixing the intersections with York in 2013 (when York will be relaid) so who knows.

Ideally both would run from Spadina to Church.

Last edited:
I think the Adelaide track repair from Charlotte to Victoria was delayed several times to allow for construction projects like Trump, BA and FCP to occupy a lane. Once those are cleared out this year, the TTC should be able to proceed with the repairs.

The tracks on Richmond and York are certainly an adventure to ride on.

I believe these three streets and the Bathurst bridge will be the last of the track repair backlog, assuming Queen's Quay actually gets started this fall.

Last edited:
I think the Adelaide track repair from Charlotte to Victoria was delayed several times to allow for construction projects like Trump, BA and FCP to occupy a lane. Once those are cleared out this year, the TTC should be able to proceed with the repairs.

The tracks on Richmond and York are certainly an adventure to ride on.

I believe these three streets and the Bathurst bridge will be the last of the track repair backlog, assuming Queen's Quay actually gets started this fall.

Victoria and Wellington are scheduled for 2013 - they are quite heavily used tracks and I am surprised they have been left so long. Steve Munro lists the 2011-2015 5-year plan at http://stevemunro.ca/?p=4948

anyone consider the rob ford factor?

For having control of the comission since November, they don't seem to be slowing down the planned work. There's construction going on all over the system right now. When were the contracts signed for the Bathurst/King reconstruction or the Gerrard bridge? Is Spadina from King to QQ still going ahead this fall?

For having control of the commission since November, they don't seem to be slowing down the planned work. There's construction going on all over the system right now. When were the contracts signed for the Bathurst/King reconstruction or the Gerrard bridge? Is Spadina from King to QQ still going ahead this fall?

Given the fact that the rail for Spadina is sitting on Front St, which the cars folks as well cycles are piss off with it there and not seeing anything in the way, Spadina work will take place in Sept as plan.

Adelaide is still plan to be rebuilt after all the construction works is done.

TTC has to rebuilt part of Bathurst Bridge as well replace the poles. The poles are brace with 4x4 at this time and that something new in the last week or 2.

As for Bathurst/King reconstruction, contract sign this year.

What are they doing specifically on Spadina? The tracks look great to me. I'm confused do they need to tear them up for some reason?

They are replacing the tracks on Spadina from King to Queen's Quay this fall and from Spadina to Bay on QQ next year. They are not built to the new standard and are always buckling and shifting.

Huh. Well it least it shouldn't disrupt traffic since it's a dedicated right of way. Can't imagine what shutting down Spadina would do to commuters. How long will construction last a few weeks?

anyone consider the rob ford factor?

what rob ford factor? he doesn't mind upgrading existing tracks that are useful and would coincide with other infrastructure works...the man may be opinionated, but he isn't dumb.

what rob ford factor? he doesn't mind upgrading existing tracks that are useful and would coincide with other infrastructure works...the man may be opinionated, but he isn't dumb.

Based on their remarks about libraries, I wouldn't go that far just yet.

Honestly, when's the last time anyone used a library? I think they could shut them all down and no one would notice.

Back