News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 855     0 

Stockyards, The (30 Weston Rd. @ St. Clair, retail, Trinity, 2s, GreenbergFarrow)

Yeah it's just an observation since I've lived in very suburban areas, right in the downtown core (Bay St), and in between, that in the latter two situations I rarely drive to a mall, and suburbanites seem to do much of their shopping that way.
I'm just wondering wondering if that's the reason it seems that suburbanites seem to believe that walking outside in the winter is impractical, whereas I find people in urban areas walk outside all the time all year. Personally in my current situation I always walk at least 20 minutes a day outside for daily travel, often 30-40, no matter what the weather is (I had to bundle up a lot for some days this winter).

I just find that in urban areas, while there are malls downtown like Eaton Centre, or Dufferin mall (depending on your definition of downtown), you end up walking by many stores anyways or it's just more convenient to walk to a store on the street than go to a mall. I did go to the Eaton Centre once in a while though so maybe my premise is wrong.

For example, if I wanted to go to the Gap (or any store you find anywhere), walking to the nearest one on the street (like at Bay & Bloor or Queen West) seems more convenient than going to a mall.

There'll be a number of fast food options here: Second Cup, Subway, Sunset Grill, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Marble Slab, Thai Express, Panda Express, Hero Burger, but no, it looks like no "casual fine dining" type places.

I went for a walk around the development and have the following thoughts:
- the restaurant row will be quite nice once it is complete. There will be almost a dozen of them along one street. Most are chains but with some patio furniture out front it'll be a nice place to grab lunch. There are a lot of low to middle class jobs around there are the cost for these restaurants fit into this clientele.
- Even though the multi-level retail is confusing it's a lot better than a traditional box-store layout (i.e. across the street). Significant more density than I expected
- To make it more pedestrian friendly, I wonder why they didn't put small retail on both sides of the new North-South road (with parking lots on the roof). It is currently on one side only.

Overall, once all the stores are finished I'd rate the area a B (an A+ compared to the box stores across the street). If it is successful (give it 2-3 years to build the clientele) it may be a blue-print for intensification at existing box-store locations. Either for more retail or freeing up parking lots for condos.

http://www.trinity-group.com/proper.../toronto-on/weston-st-clair-(the-stockyards)/

I checked it out on the weekend too. It is clearly better than your average power centre and shows some signals of trying to fit-into an urban(er) environment. It's far from perfect though and I can't help but wish parking were underground with public space on top.

A lot wasn't open yet, but we did find the Target (the first purpose-built in Canada I think) to be absolutely massive, (mostly) well-stocked and very clean.

From the roof of the parking deck you also get some great views south into the city and north where the rolling hills of the old City of York are apparent.

Went there over the weekend. It's pretty good overall, though I thought more could have been done to cover up the parking spaces (Ie; have retail on both sides in certain areas)

20141005_160811_HDR.jpg
20141005_160858_HDR.jpg
20141005_161355_HDR.jpg
20141005_161402_HDR.jpg
20141005_161414_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20141005_160811_HDR.jpg
    20141005_160811_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,733
  • 20141005_160858_HDR.jpg
    20141005_160858_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,890
  • 20141005_161355_HDR.jpg
    20141005_161355_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,844
  • 20141005_161402_HDR.jpg
    20141005_161402_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,716
  • 20141005_161414_HDR.jpg
    20141005_161414_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,615
I biked through The Stockyards one evening last week. Not a big fan, and the garage—which you've done a good job minimizing by not pointing the camera at it—is the biggest reason. The place is not terrible, but due to the vastness of the garage it's not especially welcoming either. The Shops of Don Mills is a way better model for this type of development where it parking is better tucked away behind more interestingly designed buildings, and where there's a central square. Why there wasn't more attention paid to the here I do not know.

I biked through The Stockyards one evening last week. Not a big fan, and the garage—which you've done a good job minimizing by not pointing the camera at it—is the biggest reason. The place is not terrible, but due to the vastness of the garage it's not especially welcoming either. The Shops of Don Mills is a way better model for this type of development where it parking is better tucked away behind more interestingly designed buildings, and where there's a central square. Why there wasn't more attention paid to the here I do not know.

Agreed, though it's better than your typical suburban Power Centre.

I think this is one of the worst retail developments in the City to be honest. A traditional suburban Power Centre would be better. I go to Stockyards often and I secretly like the fact that the development is so bad because it means the shops will not be busy. I just feel sorry for their sales numbers. This has white elephant written all over it.

I have been to both places and stockyards seems to have been built on smaller sq footage unless my eyes deceive me. The shops on Don Mills wins in my opinion as well... Was hoping to see the Home Depot turn into a Shops on don mills type in the future. I have no idea why home depots and ronas are right beside each other. The McDonalds Shoppers swiss chalet harveys can go condos and townhouses for all I care. Less parking lots the better.

I visited over the weekend and I don't mind it. It's good to see people actually on the street in an area that desperately needs foot traffic. The St. Clair frontage is fairly bland however and the garage is definitely overbearing. Maybe if it wasn't smack dab in the middle of the site it would look less intrusive, though I suppose it's the best location from a functional standpoint.

3SYWaey.jpg

LY0KXST.jpg

q7PFpXp.jpg

Vi4SpO2.jpg

rDgs7V0.jpg

R8gNZRR.jpg

CTGNsRo.jpg

wrJuQpf.jpg

I wonder what's going to replace Target here. There's already a Walmart, Canadian Tire and Home Depot close by. Maybe a semi-urban IKEA?

Lowe's may take another run at this.....they were supposed to be the original anchor.

A Costco would be my second choice after IKEA.

Tough to place a Costco, Ikea or Lowes on 2nd floor retail. People come out of these stores with huge shopping carts full of stuff or large bulky items that they need to place in their car/suv/truck parked on another level. 2nd floor retail for Loblaws, Walmart, CanadianTire, etc,... works better since people generally buy smaller baggable items from them that are easier to carry to different levels.

BTW, Marcananadian, the photos of the roundabout in your post# 159 are cool. I've never seem a roundabout on private property like retail shopping centre in GTA before.

Last edited:

Back