5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Still cookin' at the Canary

E

Ed007Toronto

www.thestar.com/article/179144

Still cookin' at the Canary

Proud old greasy spoon serves burgers and fries, with a slice of life on the side
Feb 08, 2007 04:30 AM
Bill Taylor
Feature Writer
The Canary roosts at the corner of Front and Cherry Sts. and waits for better times.

Not that life is bad. But the neighbourhood is a bit of a wasteland. It's only a stone's throw from the ritzy Distillery District but in a different world.

Still, the Canary Restaurant is all a-bustle at lunchtime with everyone from construction workers to white-collar LCBO office staff chowing down on basic, honest diner food. You want breakfast for lunch? Not a problem, says waiter Mary Polito. "The only difference is french fries instead of home fries."

The walls are a mix of canary yellow paint, fake brick and real wood. Chrome-backed chairs, Formica tables and a row of stools at the counter. Christmas lights and streamers; Maple Leafs and motorcycle pictures; autographed photos of celebrities; model police cars in the window; hanging planters with artificial plants. It's the sort of place where you go to the cash register to pay and get a genuine "thank you" for your tip. The sort of place where everyone quickly knows your name. Where, whether you're a downtown lawyer or a down-and-out, you'll be treated the same.

"There used to be a flophouse down the street," says Nick Vlahos, who runs the Canary with his brother Tommy. "We'd get them all – hookers, druggies, rubbies. But they were all pretty respectful. We'd help them out, feed them if they were broke. Sometimes you'd get a guy asking for money for food. I'd say, `The food's right here. I'll feed you.' And he'd say, `No, I'd rather have the money.' So you know what he really wants to buy."

"Mom's Special" is in crayon up on a mirror: Three eggs, two strips of bacon, two sausages, ham, a pancake, potatoes, toast and coffee; $8.95. Or perhaps you'd prefer the Vegetarian De-Lite: "One chilled celery stick, seasoned to your taste, along with one carrot stick, washed by hand. Served with a glass of chilled tap water (vintage year). Only $19.95 (seasonal)."

Vlahos put that on the menu "because people used to come in and want vegetarian stuff and get upset when we didn't have it. This is a greasy spoon! I thought, `I'll fix you up ...'"

It's a greasy spoon with a history, relocating from University Ave. and Dundas St. in 1963, with the original Canary sign coming with it. "It's always been in the family," says Vlahos, 48. "I've been working here since I was 13. We're open seven days a week so Tommy and I take alternate days cooking.

"I learned to cook from my dad, except he was very secretive about it. I did a lot of peeking around the corner. This was the industrial heart of the city back then; really thriving. We still get people who remember coming here as kids. We have a great breakfast and lunch business, mostly regulars."

He pauses to fill an order for fries to go, gravy on the side.

"What makes a good short-order cook? Taste-testing everything? Look at the size of me."

The 150-year-old building, with the restaurant as its centrepiece, has a lot of history, too. It first housed a school and then a hotel. Polito swears it's haunted. "There's a sort of vault in the back. I hear whimpering sometimes. The guys say I'm crazy but I know what I hear."

What Vlahos hears is the sound of a new boom in the neighbourhood. "There'll be some highrises going up. Better times are coming."

Next to a giant, plastic Budweiser bottle, a stuffed owl roosts at the end of the Canary's counter and waits.

I wonder what'll happen to the place after the West Don Lands is built out. It's kind of absurd that so much of the neighbourhood plan is designed around that restaurant when it will almost certainly be forced out/will sell out within the first year.

The ex-Canary Restaurant building is going to be fixed up. (In fact, it got a new roof a few years ago.)

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Under Review

TORONTO M5A 1G9

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#:
13 280462 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date:
Dec 20, 2013

Project:
Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description:
Proposal to repair existing windows, roof repair, and brick re-pointing on existing mixed use Heritage Building. PAN-AM Games.

I took this in 2008, the restaurant had just closed, judging by the cups and detritus on the counter (and the lights were still on)

dynamo063xEkta100small.jpg

Attachments

• dynamo063xEkta100small.jpg
    dynamo063xEkta100small.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 904
I miss that place. Used to go there several times a week when I had a studio in the old trucking terminal on Mill Street. The food was nothing to crow about but the clientele and the staff were something else. You'd have this mix of Street City people, blue collar and film techs going there. Even actors for productions shooting locally. Felt like a place out of time. Grand old building.

Restoration work will begin on this building:

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3482263

Application: Building Additions/Alterations

Application#: 13 280462 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date: Jan 30, 2014
Project: Multiple Unit Building , Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to repair existing windows, roof repair, and brick re-pointing on existing mixed use Heritage Building. PAN-AM Games.

Is this the Canary building?? The Canary seems to be 445 Cherry so 425 is in middle of the parking lot!

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3L6

Application#: 16 127251 BLD 01 BA Accepted Date: Feb 23, 2017

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: Revision 1: To create a platform/hanging system to support the relocation of the kitchen exhaust as per the mechanical revision Proposed interior for fit-up of new restaurant, "Suhko Thai".

BA Zoning Review Not Started
Zone 3 South District - Central Plan Review

Last edited:
That address isn't correct -- Sukhothai is going in next to Souk Tabule (at 494 Front E.). Work has been going on at this location for a long time (around the same time work started on Souk), so it's good to see some progress.

(Good neighbourhood food also includes Dominion at Sumach and Queen, and of course the various spots in the Distillery. And Riverside spots are just a short walk across the bridge. I love living in this neighbourhood.)

I've heard from people living in the area that the Canary and the empty lot to its south was purchased by an indigenous group, intending the area for first nations events, but that it became more lucrative to leave it for rentals to movie shoots. I'll do some Google fo and see what I can find on that.

I've heard from people living in the area that the Canary and the empty lot to its south was purchased by an indigenous group, intending the area for first nations events, but that it became more lucrative to leave it for rentals to movie shoots. I'll do some Google fo and see what I can find on that.
I think you are thinking of the Anishnawbe Health Toronto building that is still 'in process" (or, rather, discussion) and has a thread here at: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...anishnawbe-health-s-quadrangle-stantec.26610/ This is on the land surrounding the Canary (Block 10) but does not, as far as I know, INCLUDE the Canary building.

Last edited:

Back