News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 373     0 

Steeles Construction

MindMe

Member Bio
Reaction score
Eeeeeiiiii! I take the bus from the Finch station to Jane/Steeles and it adds about 30 minutes to my trip. Anyone else experiencing this joy? It's support to run until the end of August. A summer of commuting hell? They do seem to be working on it in parts and it might not be for the whole summer in my stretch. And at least I can switch to the Finch bus and then take the Jane bus north.

They've needed to fix this for...oh, 10 years? Longer?
Toronto didn't want to pay for resurfacing since, even though it's their road, people from York Region use it. Now, they got federal infrastructure funds, solving the problem.
When it's done you'll have a smooth ride all the way to Scarborough for years to come.
I got stuck in the evilness around Hwy. 400 last week but, really, you can't bitch about this project. It's about time.

Yes, I sometimes have to use the 60 going eastbound to my folks place (Signet to Yonge street), so to avoid this construction/traffic mess, I simply leave work later (6 or 6:30pm ish). Steeles is such a shit ass commute.

It's too bad there's no widening going on because that is very much needed as well! (correct me if I'm wrong)

I've got a couple options. As you note, Finch West. Adds a short bus wait but better than the 2.5 hour commute I had monday. Geez. It was actually quicker to get off the bus at Keele and walk to Bathurst and simply hop on the bus at the head of the wall of unmoving busses. See photo. I fear Finch will over flow with people avoiding Steeles. I gather Monday Finch wasn't much better. All the North/South routes were clogged to hell with people moving north/south to avoid Steeles. Also I can take the 87 which makes its way to Yonge/Sheppard station. It's a bit of a hike but then the bus is empty when I get on it.

Attachments

• Img_4744.jpg
    Img_4744.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 166
Everything is in chaos, not only on the roads but in the workplaces, since hardly anyone can get to work in a reasonable time. However, what many people are saying is that while it's really annoying, they're glad that the work is being done, because Steeles was in such bad shape before.

It is painful but that is what we get after decades of neglect. I was driving on Steeles e near Leslie near 10am and there were times when a certain direction was just closed for almost 10 mins while machines were moving around. It is painful. I think the city needs to setup detour routes. I sincerely hope they can finish it all up by August.

My bus driver was WILD the other day. During the stretch of construction between Don Mills to Warden he would intentionally drive in the pylon'd off lanes because he was running late. It felt as if I was on a BRT.

Point in fact between Victoria Park and Pharmacy, he knocked down a few pylons along the way. When I got off the bus at Warden, as he was leaving he ran over a pylon, dragged it to the other side of the intersection.

What is usually a 30 minute bus ride was 15 minute bus ride from Finch Station to Warden & Steeles. I wish I could get the bus driver again.

Haha, sweet!

400 to Dufferin appears now to be cone free. Bathurst to Yonge seems to be the part they're working on in the western leg of Steeles. With any luck next week should be smooth sailing. The construction has the effect of scaring drivers off of Steeles for a day or two after a bad one. The bus then tends to fly. Wednesday there was zero construction from Yonge to Jane and my bus got me to Jane 10 min early. The driver seemed to be going no faster than 30 kmph at some points to actually slow the trip down, maybe, to not be too super early to time stops along the way.

what if any parts of Steeles have a new and smooth layer of fresh asphalt now? Are any parts now complete?

I've found the 53 to be completely unreliable for last 2 weeks, to the point of being unusable. Waiting 35 minutes at Finch Station is not acceptable. So for the first time ever I've found some appreciation for the Sheppard line, and the 224. I'm loving all the seating space on the subway (for me, and my bag), and the extremely consistent bus waiting for me at Don Mills Station is really nice.

Back