Kitchener Station Park | 184.95m | 50s | VanMar | Kirkor

Phase 2 does look nice but it is really generic and does not have the unique character of phase 1. Anyways here are some night photos I took while on a walk tonight. This is probably my favourite development in the Waterloo region right now.
PXL_20230504_030014338.jpg
PXL_20230504_025918547.jpg

The two existing towers, viewed looking up King Street W (northward) from the ION Train's Central Station.
DSC_0040.JPG

Site hoarding along King Street W, looking west across from Google HQ. The existing towers are just to the right of this photograph.
DSC_0052.JPG

Southern and Middle parts of site
DSC_0077.JPG

Train tracks east to west across the middle distance. Site for the new transit terminal is just off-camera, to the left of the shot, on the other side of the tracks.
DSC_0094.JPG

Former Ratz-Baechal funeral home being incorporated into the development at this view of King W and Wellington Streets.
DSC_0081 (2).JPG

Looking west across King St. W
DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0104 (2).JPG

Excavation on the west side of the site.
DSC_0106.JPG

Last edited:
Phase 2 consists of towers C and D, 36 and 40 storeys. They are now under construction. Phase 3 is the 50 storey mixed-use tower. Not in sales yet.

Last edited:
Looking north on the west-ish side of King St. W
sp2.jpg

Looking eastward, back out to King W, through the carport of the old funeral home. Back of the sales center at the right.
sp4.jpg

Back/side of the funeral home, first stage of the development complete behind it.
sp5.jpg

sp6.jpg

DSC_0040.JPG

Looking west-ish from the middle of the site. GO Layover Yard visible in middle background.
DSC_0044.JPG

Looking south from the middle of the site. Google HQ on the left.
sp9.jpg

Looking south-east from the middle of the site. Google HQ on full display, along with everyone's favourite abandoned fast-food outlet.
sp101.jpg

More Station Park.
The old funeral home with the first phase behind it.
sp11.jpg

Looking between the old funeral home and the first phase, from King Street W.
sp12.jpg

First Phase, from King St W
sp13.jpg

Looking south along King St. W from the first phase. I'm surprised that the new phase's streetfront doesn't quite come to the sidewalk. I guess the designers wanted to keep it more or less flush with the frontage of the old funeral home. At first I thought the setback might be a liability, but although the treatment is a wee bit clunky around the base, someone did put in some extra effort to keep the form of it interesting as you walk around.
I really do like the fact that whoever did the landscaping went extra on the paving tile. It really animates the base.
sp14.jpg

sp15.jpg

Flat-on elevation view of the King St. W base facade.
sp15b.jpg

The finished phase one. Corner of King St. W and Wellington
sp16.jpg

The drive-in entryway on Wellington
sp16b.jpg

sp17.jpg

The eastern corner of Phase One on Wellington, looking south-east here. There is still more excavation to the right.
sp18.jpg

Considering that the other towers don't even reach 150 meters, this will stick out insanely on the kitchener skyline

Kitchener has 5 building 150+ meters proposed/approved and a few right under that mark so it's definitely getting a dense skyline. Not to mention the city is currently working on updating the zoning through much of the core which will at least based on the draft plan allow for unlimited height and FSR (and no parking requirement) in about 25% of the downtown core.

Projects 150+ meters
50 Borden ave S Tower 1 (188m proposed)
Station Park Tower E (185m proposed)
417 King St W (180m proposed)
50 Borden ave S Tower 2 (175m proposed)
200 Victoria St S (152m approved)

Projects 130+ meters
10 Duke St W (45 floors proposed)
TEK Tower (145M under construction)
TEK Tower 3 (44 floors approved)
TEK Tower 2 (44 floors approved)
459 Mill St Tower B (144m approved)
Station Park Tower D (40 floors approved)
DTK condominiums (131m complete)
459 Mill Tower C (131m approved)

Back