Star: Seniors' transport has long way to go

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

Seniors' transport has a long way to go
May 23, 2006. 01:00 AM
NAOMI CARNIOL
STAFF REPORTER

This is the second instalment in a series about how seniors are coping with life in the regions outside Toronto.

Maureen Harwood doesn't take buses, although she'd like to. But she never knows if a bus will have a ramp for her walker.

So Harwood, 81, takes taxis when she leaves her seniors' building.

"That's what most of the other ladies do here," the Markham resident says.

While Greater Toronto suburbs are pouring money into expanding bus systems, many seniors believe cities have overlooked something in their plans — them.

From not enough benches at bus stops to buses without ramps, the transit expansion hasn't yet fulfilled their needs. This not only affects their pocketbooks but also decreases their mobility and increases their risk of isolation.

Planners didn't think about buses when the older suburbs were conceived. "They're designed for the car," says Glenn Miller, the Canadian Urban Institute's director of education and research.

Shops, hospitals and other amenities were placed separately from houses. "That was fine as long as people were able to drive," Miller says. But when older people in car-dependent suburbs "lose access to their car keys ... they can become seriously affected."

After almost being in two accidents, Harwood gave up her car a few years ago. "I miss it terribly," she says. "Yesterday, I had to phone my daughter at work and ask her to bring me food and milk. Whereas (in the past) I would have hopped in my car and gone."

In the Greater Toronto suburbs, "public transportation tends to be inadequate," says Joey Edwardh, executive director of Community Development Halton. "It doesn't run everywhere and certainly after a certain hour in the evening you couldn't go anywhere. Not to mention weekends."

It's a far cry from Toronto where the subway runs until 1:30 a.m. "We're in the Bay Area Learning Centre along Harvester Rd. in Burlington. Many volunteer committees meet here in the evening, but there's no bus that runs along Harvester in the evening," she says.

While Oakville, Burlington, Halton Hills and Milton are all part of Halton region, "there's very limited transportation between the municipalities," Edwardh says. If you live in Burlington and want to visit a friend in Oakville, it's not easy to get there. "There are some buses that link to the GO line and the VIA line, but in terms of a public transit system that covers the communities out here ... it's very limited," she says.

The Ontario government requires drivers to take a knowledge test every two years once they turn 80. The test comes up often in conversation at the Thornhill Seniors Centre, says board member Marg Jones. "We have people here in their 80s who have driven all their lives. They panic months in advance of the test."

Not everyone lives as close to a bus route. York Region Transit wants "to put a transit route within a 10 to 15 minute walk of 90 per cent of the population," says Don Gordon, the transit authority's general manager. "We want transit to be within a reasonable walking distance of everyone."

That's already been accomplished in most parts of the region, Gordon says. But it's not always possible in the older subdivisions because of their design, he says. Transit planners need to look at the system through different eyes, Miller says. Seniors may walk slower and have less energy than younger people. More benches should be installed between bus stops "for people to rest along the way." That's only part of the answer for improving seniors' mobility in the suburbs, Miller said.

In the suburbs, residential areas are spread over large distances. "There isn't really the intensity of demand that you have in the inner city where we can afford to provide a bus every 10 minutes all day long," says Michael Roschlau, president of the lobby group Canadian Urban Transit Association. "You're lucky if we can justify a bus every half-hour...."

York Region Transit's newest five-year plan outlines its goal to have buses every 20 minutes during peak periods on main routes and every 30 minutes on local routes in residential areas and business parks.

It's not waiting for buses that bothers Jessie Lunge, 79. She just wishes more bus stops had benches. Back pain makes it hard for her to walk. "Standing is almost impossible," she says.

Sometimes she waits 30 minutes for a bus. "If there is no bench, I'm stuck," the Mississauga resident says. "I've wasted so much money on cab fare. I wish it was more convenient for seniors to get around."

The regions and municipalities are making an effort to be more accessible. All new York Region Transit buses have low floors to accommodate wheelchairs, scooters and walkers, Gordon says.

This fall, some routes will be designated as fully accessible. All buses on those routes will have low floors and bus shelters will be retrofitted so "people in wheelchairs and scooters can move around ... without any difficulties," Gordon says.Transit authorities in York and Durham also operate community bus routes that go to libraries, stores and hospitals. Both plan to expand these community bus services.

Lunge hopes they remember the benches, too.

Sorry to sound harsh, but sometimes people should think about this before.

My parents may not take the TTC everyday, but one of the reasons they always stated for not moving to the 905 suburbs, is because they want to know they have good public transit for when they are older and incase they can't or don't want to drive. And also to be close to everything from healthcare to shopping.

Some of these seniors just ask for transportation problems, by moving out to the 905. Now they have to deal with it.

This happened to my uncle. North York was not longer good enough for him and my aunt. So they go buy a monster house in Woodbridge, and then he has a heart attack and was not allowed to drive for like a year. And they where stuck in their house, because the buses where so bad in their area of Woodbridge.

So you gotta think about things like this when you get older, and when you are younger and buying a house.

^ There may be some truth to that. However, for better or worse much of the 905 and big chunks of the inner suburbs as well were built in the 60s and 70s, with the long loopy crescents, long walks to arterial streets, single-use zoning which didn't permit other land uses close to the residential areas, ... etc. etc.

Some retrofitting needs to be done, where it can be done, including better use of some of the properties on the arterial streets. We need condos along main streets in these suburban residential areas so that older people can stay in the neighbourhood when they move out of their houses. We need medical offices, stores, and libraries within walking distance of some of these. It's all part of good urban design, which has been so badly neglected.

All 416 inner suburbs for the most part have a bus route within a 5min walk or less from all homes. There is no problem with access to transit in 416 for the most part, and I see seniors on the buses all the time.

Maybe we could improve access in some spots with community buses or something.

Personally i think transit should be LESS accomodating for old people. As a student I have to pay $82 for a month's worth of transit passes and old people only have to pay $25? It's ridiculous.

^Yeah, that is harsh, but I see your point.

There are fewer and fewer transit systems that provide discounts on single fares. Instead, discounts are to be found when purchasing monthly passes. That is the whole point behind a monthly pass - cheaper individual rides. Nevertheless, I don't see anything wrong with a reduced cost for seniors. Many live on fixed incomes.

At the same time, a general reduction in monthly pass costs would go a long way to potentially drawing more users to the system. As someone who is neither a senior nor a student, I too would benefit by seeing my transit costs drop. But I would prefer to see that on the monthly pass rather than on the single fare.

I think accomodation is also about access, and there is nothing wrong with proceeding to make buses, streetcats and trains accessible for everyone.

I wonder how much of a trend senior ridership will be though? More and more seniors are staying healthy. Seniors today are different then the ones even 20 years ago. Today seniors act like they are 50 year olds yet, and they are going to want to drive. They are not going to stop and start taking the bus, just for the hell of it.

Hell, I got an uncle who is like 76, and he friggen just bought a Harley motorcycle, and goes on motorcycle trips. This is the kind of senior we have today. They are not the old kind of seniors who sit at home, and ride the bus to the market, and then go home. Today's seniors have more energy then us younger people :)

And they are going to drive.

Yes, but the way 76-year-olds were then might be the way 96-year-olds are now...and there are more 96-year-olds now than then...

Back