362     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 419     0 

Star: Immigrants and Suburban Commuting

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Star:

A new life, living in transit
Thousands of recent immigrants spend much of their day on public transit, watching suburbs blur by from home to work
Jun. 2, 2006. 06:14 AM
SAN GREWAL
STAFF REPORTER

It's mid-afternoon, two days since the TTC wildcat strike, and factory worker Zabiullah Obaidi waits patiently at a remote bus shelter that seems like it's on the edge of the world.

He's standing near the intersection of Steeles Ave. and Highway 27 just after 2 p.m., between the second and third legs of his two-hour commute to work.

About 35 other factory workers, all but one of them men, and all but one from visible minorities, have gathered here after stepping off one of three TTC buses that come to this stop.

They are among the thousands of blue-collar workers in the GTA who rely on transit for their livelihood, spending as many as five hours a day in a daily trek to and from sprawling suburban areas where industries locate, new immigrants may find housing they can marginally afford — and buses are few and far between.

Obaidi, who emigrated from Afghanistan six years ago, builds plastic window frames. Like the others waiting here, he works for Royal Group Technologies, one of North America's largest manufacturers of vinyl building products.

Because there is no existing transit route into the company's industrial park, two kilometres north of Steele the firm has chartered a York Region Transit bus to shuttle employees back and forth from the TTC stop.

"Depending on how fast I reach here, I spend 25 minutes, sometimes 35 minutes, waiting for the YRT bus," says Obaidi, who, unlike his colleagues squatting behind a nearby retaining wall, chooses not to take shelter from the intense sun.

For his 3 p.m. shift, he left his home near Jane St. and Wilson Ave. just before 1 p.m. to catch the 96 Wilson bus.

After a 10-minute wait, then a 20-minute ride, he arrived at a stop near Humber College to transfer onto the 46 Martin Grove bus.

There was another 10-minute wait, followed by a 15-minute ride that brought him here just before 2 p.m. The chartered shuttle won't leave 'til 2:35 p.m. and gets to his factory shortly before 3 p.m.

At the same time of day, the trip from Jane and Wilson to the factory takes 15 minutes by car.

But Obaidi's daily journey isn't bad, compared with Percy White's.

"Me come from Markham, mon," says White, laughing through his Jamaican patois.

"Sometimes I leave home around 12 noon for my shift that starts at 3." He says his waiting times between buses are much longer than Obaidi's.

"The worst is at night when I don't get home 'til after 2:30 in the morning," he said, noting that his shift ends at midnight. "I spend five hours a day commuting."

A report released Tuesday by York Region underlined the difficulties faced by recent immigrants who, increasingly, are settling in the region first rather than Toronto, but then face the isolation that comes with being poor, a long distance from many government and settlement services, and without a car in a setting that practically demands four wheels.

Stephen Lam, director of Immigrant Services and Community Programs for Catholic Community Services of York Region, contributed to that report. "For people new to the country, they often have to rely on public transit because they don't have a driver's licence or they can't afford a car," Lam says.

"They sometimes have to walk more than 20 minutes to get to a bus stop and then have to transfer multiple times before getting to work. It's not like downtown Toronto."

He says the extended commutes they must make to the factories where they find work bring extra problems, especially with child care and limited time for families to spend together.

That's an issue Kabir Enamul worries about.

"I spend about five hours a day commuting right now," says the former computer engineering professor from Bangladesh. Enamul has worked at Royal Group as a quality-control inspector for 18 months.

When he's on the 3 p.m. shift, his daily journey begins with a 15-minute walk from home just after noon to the Victoria Park subway station.

That's followed by a 45-minute ride, then a transfer at Kipling to a bus that takes him to the YRT shuttle stop. Enamul says that once his wife and children come from Bangladesh, he'll go back to school.

"Right now, because my family is back home, I have not bought a car — I need to save money — and I have been too busy to move. Right now, I only focus on work. All I do is go back and forth between work, that's all."

AoD

When I was a kid in Missy, the local bus came around only every hour. But saying that, there was no reason for it to come any more frequently due to ridership.

If the jobs though are that low paying, you can find a low paying job in the service industry along major transit routes. I suspect the 'afghan' is still making a respectable wage to make the commutte worth it.

I'm not a fan either of these human interest pieces. Recent immigrants will always have to work hard initially to make a better life for themselves. A lot of their motiviation also is to save mone, so they also tend to pick the cheapest alternatives, whilest, others probably would pay a premium to live closer to work or buy a car.

The guy they use as an example has been 'too busy to move closer', and plans to go back to school when his wife arrives?? Seriously, the writer could have found a better more extreme example then someone who appears to be not really in hardship, and is 'too busy' to help themselves. In addition, he's saving all of his money, and isn't exactly living paycheck to paycheck to just payoff the rent.

"For people new to the country, they often have to rely on public transit because they don't have a driver's licence or they can't afford a car," Lam says.

Well, isn't the fix for the immigrants who face issue #1 is to get their drivers licence? The second issue is a lot deeper obviously, ie. immigrant screening - should they prove they have enough resources to settle in Canada, or should the gov't help out on settlement?

The issue is not just about how immigrants cope with an irregular commute. It's also about how poor city planning has made efficient transit unviable in the city. The transit system was never planned for these irregular commutes, but better service can easily be implemented if there is enough density to support it. Hence planners should consider how the commercial and industrial areas outside the downtown core are positioned and whether there are ways to make them more accessible by the workers.

The problem won't be solved once these immigrants get richer. They just drive, and choke the streets with more emissions.

Interesting. I don't myself see the article as an issue with city planning. A N.A. city is always going to need segregated areas for light/medium/ and heavy industries, hence, the segregation of these industrial zones are always going to have low densities, which is always going to generate transit servicing issues.

Getting everybody to take transit is good in theory, but its not cost efficient/nor practical. The areas surronding Pearson is very industrial/warehouse based and isn't serviced well by transit. But the region gets by being car dominated, which really I think is the most efficient mode of transport for the blue collar workers. If everybody started work and ended work at the same time as their white collar counterparts, yes, traffic would be too much of a problem. But the fact is that most companies work on shifts, that start early in the morning, hence end earlier, and have night shifts. This reduces the stress on road infrastructure during peak times, by shifting use to lesser peak times.

The solution always isn't going to be transit. Industrial zones of city that are already fully developed arn't going to see an increase in workers, ie. you can't just stack processing plants. In anything, these zones are going to see drops in employment due to automation. Also, these types of jobs in general in atleast 416 is on the decline. The issue the article alludes to is more an issue of recent immigrants not wanting to spend money on a car (who are making a respectiable wage) in an industry where having one to get to work is most practical.

When I commutted from Missy when I graduated to downtown Toronto, if I started at 7am like the worker in this example did, I would have few problems driving to the financial core, or anywhere else (seeing you hit the road at 6:30 to get to work by 7). Even in NYC if you start at 7:30, you could drive into work from an outer borough quite easily, with the only issues arrising from poor weather.

Nobody wants it, but what our cities need is some high-density crappy box housing. Somewhere an immigrant can spend $250/month to live in the smallest bachelor you've ever seen, close to the factories.

It sounds pretty bad to us but it's a huge step up for sudanese refugees who are willing to move here and sweep floors.

"For his 3 p.m. shift, he left his home near Jane St. and Wilson Ave. just before 1 p.m. to catch the 96 Wilson bus.
After a 10-minute wait, then a 20-minute ride, he arrived at a stop near Humber College to transfer onto the 46 Martin Grove bus.
There was another 10-minute wait, followed by a 15-minute ride that brought him here just before 2 p.m. The chartered shuttle won't leave 'til 2:35 p.m. and gets to his factory shortly before 3 p.m."

We're supposed to sympathize with him because he decided to arrive 10 minuites early for his bus (and this bus has a frequency of only 10 minutes) so that he could arrive 35 minutes early for another? Sorry, but that's just stupid. And the factory is only 2km north of Steeles - that's the kind of 20 minute walk that suburbanites are used to. Instead of standing in the sun for 35 minutes, why not walk for 20? Oh yeah, because then his plight wouldn't make it into the Star.

The guy from Markham can get on Viva - yes, it costs more, but everyone can afford to spend a few dollars a day to slash 2 hours off their commute. The "busy" guy that lives near VP station should just move...he says he saves all his money so he probably has nothing to pack up and drag across town. He was an engineering professor back home and can't reduce his commute to less than 5 hours? What a fool.

Seriously, maybe 1 in 1,000 or fewer people that take the TTC in this city have ridiculous commutes like these, from one random isolated point to another random isolated point at odd hours of the day. The network isn't designed to easily accommodate them, nor should it be.

On the other end of the spectrum from the immigrants in the Star article... there are some Chinese garment factories (sweatshops?) at McCowan Road and Milner near Scarborough Centre. During the afternoon rush hour you can usually see five or ten Chinese women from the factories waiting at the bus stop for the McCowan North bus. They take a short, leisurely 15-minute ride up to their homes in North Scarborough, with ample time to buy groceries at the supermarket and make dinner.

I bet most non-immigrants don't have that short a commute.

Getting workers to use transit is far more efficient than having them get in their cars to drive everywhere. Hence planners should intensify the density of industrial and commercial developments so a reasonable transit schedule can be set up. It is indeed a planning dilemma when what is being built is not sustainable.

Otherwise everyone is going to be stuck in a nasty traffic jam.

This particular case has little to do with density or sustainability. YRT does not yet serve this area because Royal Group was one of the first occupants of the Vaughan Enterprise Zone - everything beyond it is still farmland (and it's not even that sprawlly since it's filling in the gap between Brampton and Vaughan). If the factory was in the 416, people in Vaughan and Brampton wouldn't be able to get there easily by transit either (and if there's a Bangladeshi guy from Scarborough working there, you can bet there's people from Brampton working there). A consolidated transit system would at least mean Zabiullah would be able to get to within a 15 minute walk of work using only 2 direct bus routes and maybe 45 minutes of travel time (Wilson bus to Martin Grove bus that continues north of Steeles).

The two 416 residents interviewed are mindnumbingly stupid, while the Markham resident's commute is not described in any detail, which makes no sense since the whole point of the article is to highlight the difficulties of taking transit to 905 destinations, especially for new immigrants living in the 905.

"Nobody wants it, but what our cities need is some high-density crappy box housing."

Yeah, there's a bit of this in the 905 but not enough and what's there is not as well-connected to jobs, etc., by transit as they are the 416.

The problem here is two things.

One. Our transit systems don't understand the need for express buses. Of course commutes are going to be long, when buses only run on main roads, and stop every two blocks.

Second: Decentralization is causing these problems. When you scatter employment like that, of course its going to cause problems. Because transit can not serve decentralized areas.

Another issue, these people should live closer to work if they can. Factories use to always have housing near their factory. Tell Vaughan to build some houses near the factories.

Transit must adapt to our riders needs though or we are just going to push more people into cars.

Immigrants, as with most other people, have particular reasons for living where they do. They may live in a particular location to be close to family or fellow members of their ethnic group, or close to ethnic stores, places of worship, etc. or just because they like the area for whatever reason. All of these people could surely move closer to work if they really wanted to.

On another point: large one-storey factories aren't being built in Toronto any more. There is a reason for this. It's awfully hard (read: impossible) to "centralize" manufacturing, unless it's a relatively small plant producing relatively high-value items. A typical new manufacturing plant is, say, 60,000 square feet in area. At 40% coverage, it would require a site of 150,000 square feet (well over 3 acres). Even if sites of this size were available in the "central" area (generally they aren't), they would tend to be used for other, higher, uses (commercial or residential). New manufacturing plants will be built out in the burbs, as the more centrally located land will always tend to go to a higher use.

One. Our transit systems don't understand the need for express buses. Of course commutes are going to be long, when buses only run on main roads, and stop every two blocks

Express buses? MT has express route on Eglinton, very industrial area and the buses are way overcrowded and very slow (even though the buses pass by some stops because of closed doors). So express buses don't seem to make things better. Buses are slow. Period.

I have worked in the industrial area west of the airport, and I can tell you slow buses were the least of my problems. Much bigger problems are the infrequent service, lack of late night service, and the constant closed door situations.

Second: Decentralization is causing these problems. When you scatter employment like that, of course its going to cause problems. Because transit can not serve decentralized areas.

Industry must locate where land is cheapest and in Toronto that is definately not the core. The fact that high land values have pushed industry out of Toronto's core into the suburbs only proves how healthy our downtown is.

"Immigrants, as with most other people, have particular reasons for living where they do. They may live in a particular location to be close to family or fellow members of their ethnic group, or close to ethnic stores, places of worship, etc. or just because they like the area for whatever reason. All of these people could surely move closer to work if they really wanted to."

None of that seems to apply to the third guy, who said "Right now, because my family is back home, I have not bought a car — I need to save money — and I have been too busy to move. Right now, I only focus on work. All I do is go back and forth between work, that's all."

"So express buses don't seem to make things better. Buses are slow. Period."

Sorry, but all the express buses I take are very fast - some faster than subway, even. I got from Unionville to Union in 24 minutes on an express bus on Monday, which is faster than the GO train. Express buses are probably the best and only way to take care of unusual commutes like these.

Sorry, but all the express buses I take are very fast - some faster than subway, even. I got from Unionville to Union in 24 minutes on an express bus on Monday, which is faster than the GO train. Express buses are probably the best and only way to take care of unusual commutes like these.

But why not have train service from Union to Unionville instead? Express bus is not the only way, and it sure isn't the most cost-effective or convenient solution so people won't use it. All GO Train lines should have all-day service in both direction and GO Train stations should be closer together and have good connections to local transit service and there, problem solved.

Too bad GO Transit is run like a business so the focus is on cutting costs instead of expansion.

^ "Problem solved"? For some, maybe, but for most, unlikely. Yes, I'd like to have all-day, both way service on every GO line (to get downtown, not around town) but it would cost like a billion dollars and there seems to be no one clamouring for it other than half a dozen people on this forum. Tons of people still won't be anywhere near GO stations and unless they run with subway-like frequencies, the wait times may be significant since you're on one train south to Union and another train up to wherever...potentially two trains and 4 buses going each way, not to mention the added stops you propose. If someone's able to get from their home to a bus that takes them to a GO station and onto another train at Union and from there to a bus that takes them to their job all with minimal transfer headaches, some people will use it...maybe the GTTA will permit this. The GO bus I took was faster than the GO train, anyway.

Express buses can fly along the 407, leaving it to pick people up and drop them off at hubs like Markville, York U, etc. The good thing about buses is that their schedule can be changed at will and they're small enough to cater to groups like the few hundred people working at Royal Group.

Back