Star: GO Trains get TV screens

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

TVs on GO trains to air news, weather

Mar 31, 2007 04:30 AM
Tess Kalinowski
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

The GO train is putting its passengers a little closer to their living rooms by installing TV screens on its rail cars.

The screens are showing news, weather, entertainment and sports highlights, but are designed as an advertising vehicle with the expectation they'll raise $8 million for the transit authority over 10 years.

About 50 coaches already have the screens but it will be another year before all 400 are showing On-Train TV (OTTV), said Nancy Pogue, supervisor of marketing and advertising. GO is slowly removing the old LED message boards from its trains.

The new screens, which run silently, are capable of broadcasting transit authority messages, said Pogue. Riders who want to hear the programming can tune their personal stereos to FM 88.1 or 88.5.

"It's not intrusive. We recognize many of our passengers like to sleep, read or chat on the train," she said.

Sound and some visuals may not be available in some cars until the installation is complete, a company press release said.

Speaking of screens, I've seen ones on the Viva buses. Sometimes they're on and displaying info, but more often than not I've seen them turned on but not showing anything and/or turned off.

Something to watch for all the passengers delayed on the GO train :lol

It's been a long time since I was on a GO train, but I think it's a great idea.

Back