News   Mar 28, 2024
 141     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 289     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     0 

Stand Up Shower Stall or Tub Shower Bathroom ?

Stand Up Shower Stall Bathroom or TUB Shower Bathroom

• Stand Up Shower Stall Bathroom

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • TUB Shower Bathroom

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RezBoy

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you are given an option for the bathroom condo would you pick a Stand Up Shower bathroom or TUB shower bathroom ?

There should be one tub shower bathroom in a condo. Where you not only could have the occasional bath, but could also use it to wash your clothes in an emergency, hang dry clothes, bathtub gin, wash your dog or cat, or increase the resale price.
If there are other bathrooms, a stall shower is acceptable as an extra bonus, but not required.

If you are given an option for the bathroom condo would you pick a Stand Up Shower bathroom or TUB shower bathroom ?

Tub shower bathroom with a glass wall and door instead of a shower curtain.

Stand up Shower or Tub

I agree that at least one tub-shower combination is worthwhile and functional.

It seems like an oversight to presume that each person, regardless of age, is capable of standing in a tiny glass-encased shower.
They certainly look nice... but I'm thinking about functionality for all ages (young & old).

Travelling and living in Europe for awhile... it would appear that Europeans have aversions to tubs.
It seemed most urban homes had only stand-up shower stalls, either encased in glass, or with floors slightly slanted towards the drain.

At first I thought it was because older buildings couldn't fit a tub.
Then I noticed that "newer" buildings were also lacking tubs.
One couple I knew from work had recently renovated their downtown apartment (condo-equivalent).
They were so happy with it... they had installed a second bathroom, among other home improvements.

In looking at the renovated bathrooms, I noticed that neither had a tub, rather each had only a standup shower.
I asked them how would anyone be able to give a bath to preschoolers or young children?
The couple, both of them, gave me a blank stare.
Finally the girlfriend said... " I suppose we could fill up a plastic washtub."

So I guess kids in Europe are forced to forego the pleasures of "rubber ducky" bathtub playtime.

p.s. The odd home had a tub, but these were most often townhomes or bungalows of coworkers who lived in suburban areas or in smaller towns where a larger home provided more space. Nevertheless, I was surprised at how many newer urban townhomes and condos appeared to lack a tub.

p.s. 2 - On the opposite end of the scale, one coworker had a really old apartment flat that had a bathtub in the kitchen. The toilet was a separate cubicle near the bedroom, with just a tiny wash basin. A rare case of a tub, with no stand-up shower option.

p.s. I was living in the Netherlands and visited throughout Germany, Belgium, Denmark and France.

If by European you exclude the UK, then maybe so, but the UK is full of properties with a full bath and/or shower....We brits do like a good soak.

My preference is one of each, I was given 2 tubs in my unit, but switched the master to a double headed shower room, the guest bathroom retains the tub/shower combo, problem solved.

Sometimes I feel like people in europe just dont know any better. When I ask people in older houses why they have seperate faucets for hot and cold water.... they give me a look like "how else would you have it?".

I have a tub shower combination in my condo. I actually like my tub - which I use sparingly - since it is larger than your average tub (I just wish it were also longer than average). Still have to take a shower first before using the tub :rolleyes: I don't see the cost/benefit to having a seperate shower (unless I had severe mobility problems).

Now if I won a lottery, I would like to combine the following bathroom styles (Japanese, British, Thai). Japanese - I like there toilets seats. British - I like the towel electric warming/drying rails. And Thais - that found out how to make it easy to clean the bathroom (floor has a little lip at the door and angled ever so slightly to the back corner where there is a drain - so you can take the shower head and wash down the floor quickly.....

I like the idea of a door. The stand up shower I had when I lived at 24 Noble was quite lovely as it had the same width and length dimensions as a tub.

I find many stand-up showers too confined, and I end up elbowing the walls while lathering up. I'm taller than average, so maybe it isn't a problem for most, but it drives me crazy. I appreciate the extra width you get in a tub shower.

Now, I don't mind large showers with room to move around. I just find them to be somewhat rare.

I have seen a lot of new hotels with just large shower stalls and fancy rain shower heads. I would rather have a shower stall and separate tub in my place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tub Shower.

Higher resale value in the end.

In what way ?

afransen - I hear you re small showers, this is why we swapped the original tub/corner shower stall for a proper 2 headed shower enclosure, the shower door had a rather narrow 28 inch doorway and a low set mantle, I am 6ft 5, so getting into it would have been similar to a wet coffin (to my mind) I like room to move around, with our new shower 2 can happily shower together.

Attachments

• earth hour 012.jpg
    earth hour 012.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 803
In one of my places they offered a shower and tub in the ensuite. I had it modified to remove the shower, keep the tub and make the laundry room larger. The second bathroom had one of those bang-your-elbows shower stalls.

Before & After

before.jpg

after.jpg

Ever consider changing the entrance to the main bathroom to the east side wall in the picture and moving the door to the bedroom further up to create
the illusion that it's larger or would it make your foyer look smaller? Nice work
with the bath/laundry!

Back