Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Toronto could build a 3000-foot, LEED platinum, five-star hotel hotel and the New York Times wouldn't give it any credit.

this is totally false. they gave an excellent review to the Thomson Hotel less than a year ago:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/travel/hotel-review-thompson-toronto.html

they favourably covered the Queen West West fashion scene a week ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/travel/in-toronto-a-second-act.html?_r=1

they published an extremely favourable review of the city, as a place for a short jaunt in 2009:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/travel/17hours.html

and published a favourable overview of Toronto's burgeoning music scene in January of this year:

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/toronto-is-having-a-seattle-moment/

Trump defenders will do anything to avoid the obvious. Basically they spend their time getting themselves all pretzel-shaped, still insisting that this thing is somehow a success, throwing anything out there they can think of to avoid reality.

3e50c0a5.jpg

If you read the review, you'd see it's actually mostly favourable. "Find a deal, though, and it’s worth a visit." is the bottom line.

if you think Trump is a still a luxury brand you are seriously deluded. the guy has become a pathetic stooge, who threw his lot in with the extreme right-wing, flirted with racism, and torched his own reputation and his brand.

if you think having this moron's name emblazoned on our skyline is a good thing, you must not have been reading the news for the last three years. its a complete embarrassment to the city.

e946b915.jpg

6145656e.jpg

d0ff0311.jpg

29d6f69e.jpg

94414b82.jpg

e7043c4f.jpg

7961c3b8.jpg

7ba3bbcc.jpg

5f4d6e62.png

a16ea2b7.jpg

5d5c6427.jpg

2c65528f.png

6217d4c8.jpg

d02509b9.jpg

273f155b.png

86008957.jpg

ce353b15.png

fc1fb320.jpg

1aea165a.jpg

Everyone knows that Trump is deeply nuts Deepend, you don't need to go overboard with the pics to prove it, you start to look just as crazy.

It's too bad the building has his name on it way up on Toronto's fair skyline… yes, it is embarrassing to a degree. The building itself? I've been to a function there, and it's pretty nice inside. Luxurious, elegant, not OTT. As a hotel, it has a good chance of doing fine. You may never step inside, or never stay at this Trump or another one, but there are people who will. Calm Down and Carry On.

Everyone knows that Trump is deeply nuts Deepend, you don't need to go overboard with the pics to prove it, you start to look just as crazy.

It's too bad the building has his name on it way up on Toronto's fair skyline… yes, it is embarrassing to a degree. The building itself? I've been to a function there, and it's pretty nice inside. Luxurious, elegant, not OTT. As a hotel, it has a good chance of doing fine. You may never step inside, or never stay at this Trump or another one, but there are people who will. Calm Down and Carry On.

ok i went a bit overboard. i used to do visual research for a living, so it takes me 2 minutes to find things...
anyway, it makes no difference to me whether people stay at the hotel, like the hotel, etc. i am sure it is extremely overpriced and totally fine. we all know the exterior sucks, but so what. so do dozens of other buildings in the city (sadly). i am also aware that Trump did not personally design the building. (although he probably says he did).

what bothers me is the way Trump dead-enders, i mean defenders, persistently push the idea that it's some kind of 'honour' for Toronto to have a Trump building (even if said building is a disaster), that we should somehow be be 'grateful' to have this buffoon's name become a permanent fixture on our skyline.

ok i went a bit overboard. i used to do visual research for a living, so it takes me 2 minutes to find things...
anyway, it makes no difference to me whether people stay at the hotel, like the hotel, etc. i am sure it is extremely overpriced and totally fine. we all know the exterior sucks, but so what. so do dozens of other buildings in the city (sadly). i am also aware that Trump did not personally design the building. (although he probably says he did).

what bothers me is the way Trump dead-enders, i mean defenders, persistently push the idea that it's some kind of 'honour' for Toronto to have a Trump building (even if said building is a disaster), that we should somehow be be 'grateful' to have this buffoon's name become a permanent fixture on our skyline.

We don't "all know it sucks" so give it up. I like the building and I also think it's fantastic for the city.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Trump Hotel Collection ousted for someone else come renewal time. The name just doesn't have the cache outside the US and Middle East

While Trump's own personal credibility may be worthless, I think we should acknowledge that his hotel properties are still considered quality establishments, often in prime locations with star chefs helming the restaurants.

Consider the Trump Central Park's prime Columbus Circle location, Central Park views, Jean-Georges Vongerichten restaurant. Trump Chicago is in a new 92-story tower on the Chicago River. And I'm reading on his website that the historic Old Post Office building in Washington DC may be converted into a Trump hotel property.

I would personally never stay in one of his hotels, but he has somehow orchestrated these hotel developments and convinced some people that the Trump name stands for 5-star quality. One should at least acknowledge that.

In Toronto, time will tell who will win the big luxury hotel battle: Four Seasons, Shangri-La, Ritz-Carlton or Trump. A few short years ago we only had only the (old) Four Seasons. Now we've got four brand new 4/5 star properties, plus places like the Hazelton, the Thompson, and a growing number of boutique hotel properties. I think that reflects well on TO.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me to see Trump Hotel Collection ousted for someone else come renewal time. The name just doesn't have the cache outside the US and Middle East

I disagree. Please advise me what other 5 star hotel chains most people "know" as soon as you get beyond 4S and Ritz?
People recognize Trump... may equate it with over the top but it is clearly upscale. Yes, there is a disconnect between the actual reality of Trump's many successes and many failures, but when it comes to hotels, I do not think there is much denying that like him or hate him, a Trump hotel has cache even outside the US and the Middle East, though perhaps to a lesser degree than these 2 locations.

Back