Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Regarding the debate over the height to the spire, the final report for 88 Scott lists Trump as being 269 metres (i.e. almost 6 metres shorter than Scotia Plaza), but I'm not sure how accurate that number is as it looked like they were ball-parking some of the other numbers in there.

Both towers work together. Trump makes BA look more elegant and BA makes Trump more over-the-top.

Agreed. Two over-the-top towers next to each other would've been too much, and two glass boxes next to each other would be too sterile. I think they make a nice couple and really add character to the area.

Last edited:
Everyone hates Trump buildings. Chicagoans loathe Trump Chicago, long suffering New Yorkers hate his buildings there. Why would we expect anything more than "second rate" by way of design, from Trump? Whomever buys into the Trump "brand" (equating Donald with taste and class, or whatever he is supposed to represent) got exactly what they deserve IMO.

really?... since when?

You don't like Trump, we get it. Is anybody else confused about that??

Here is what I find so interesting about this forum... for the life of the project, and since this forum's inception... some 560 pages later, there are still folks on here who love to remind us how they feel Trump Toronto is "ugly" or "out-dated" or personal comments about Mr. Trump etc., etc. And of course, it has taken until we near the end of construction for the "it's never going to get built" crowd to quiet down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but honestly, if you had any idea into just how much thought has gone into every last inch of the tower, from the inside out, it would astonish you. I am biased obviously, but there is nothing in Toronto that exudes luxury like this building. It is truly unique. It has a soul. There is a great deal of warmth to the design and style that carries throughout the building. Having seen the spa and restaurant nearing completion this past week... I simply don't have any words left to describe it. It blew me away--even though I knew what was coming, having seen the renderings and floor plans for quite some time.

I love the Bay-Adelaide tower across the street. Especially at the street level. It provides an absolutely beautiful contrast to Trump Toronto. But it serves a much different purpose. It's a beautiful clean design. Think about this same corner five years ago. And compare it now. For those of you who have had the opportunity to tour Trump Toronto, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, take a close look at the fine details inside when you visit some time... the hand-laid tile work, the onyx, the crystals, the lazer-etched designs, the ceilings, the mouldings... it is simply a work of art. The ballroom and meeting spaces are just incredible. Even the hallways. If you are a fan of stark, minimalist, modern design, than this probably won't be your cup of tea.

The negativity that has endured throughout the life of the project is something I have enjoyed--and even those who said it would never be built. One of the greatest joys in life is proving people wrong. Hume aside, the response to those who have the seen the interiors has been nothing short of "wow!" The proof is in the pudding. And I encourage you to stop by and take a peek inside. There is nothing like it in Toronto.

Here is what I find so interesting about this forum... for the life of the project, and since this forum's inception... some 560 pages later, there are still folks on here who love to remind us how they feel Trump Toronto is "ugly" or "out-dated" or personal comments about Mr. Trump etc., etc. And of course, it has taken until we near the end of construction for the "it's never going to get built" crowd to quiet down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but honestly, if you had any idea into just how much thought has gone into every last inch of the tower, from the inside out, it would astonish you. I am biased obviously, but there is nothing in Toronto that exudes luxury like this building. It is truly unique. It has a soul. There is a great deal of warmth to the design and style that carries throughout the building. Having seen the spa and restaurant nearing completion this past week... I simply don't have any words left to describe it. It blew me away--even though I knew what was coming, having seen the renderings and floor plans for quite some time.

I love the Bay-Adelaide tower across the street. Especially at the street level. It provides an absolutely beautiful contrast to Trump Toronto. But it serves a much different purpose. It's a beautiful clean design. Think about this same corner five years ago. And compare it now. For those of you who have had the opportunity to tour Trump Toronto, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, take a close look at the fine details inside when you visit some time... the hand-laid tile work, the onyx, the crystals, the lazer-etched designs, the ceilings, the mouldings... it is simply a work of art. The ballroom and meeting spaces are just incredible. Even the hallways. If you are a fan of stark, minimalist, modern design, than this probably won't be your cup of tea.

The negativity that has endured throughout the life of the project is something I have enjoyed--and even those who said it would never be built. One of the greatest joys in life is proving people wrong. Hume aside, the response to those who have the seen the interiors has been nothing short of "wow!" The proof is in the pudding. And I encourage you to stop by and take a peek inside. There is nothing like it in Toronto.

While I'm sure that the interiors are outstanding and luxurious, the main criticism of people on this forum have been related to the architecture, not the crystals and moulding. Furthermore it's not just devotees of "stark, minimalist, modern" design that are hurling criticism at the tower. Initially I loved the concept but with every week that went by I saw something in the execution of the design that disappointed me further and further. I wanted to like this tower but it honestly looks like very little attention was paid to the exterior architectural details; from the god-awful east facade of the parking garage to the incredibly heavy and mish-mashed use of spandrel to the awful colour choices for the glass and granite to the loss of proportionality due to weakened setbacks to the permanent crow's nest around the spire... the whole thing is clumsy and amateurish. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we have it, but an architectural masterpiece it is certainly not.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself. For me, the final insult is the giant mosquito proboscis sticking out of the top. Not only is it cheap, tacky, clunky, inelegant, half-assed and pathetic, but from some angles, irritatingly off-kilter.

Like I said before, this tower is nothing special, its over rated. L tower gets no love but this is getting praised as the holy grail.
Its not bad in any way, but not anything special either, very forgetable.

The Trump name gets more credit that it deserves, I hate Donald he is stupid and as cheasy as it gets.

I don't know, I'm not hyperactively *negative* about Trump. I can see it becoming more endearingly than offensively "mediocre" over time. (More endearingly than the "Trump" label deserves, I suppose.)

While I'm sure that the interiors are outstanding and luxurious, the main criticism of people on this forum have been related to the architecture, not the crystals and moulding. Furthermore it's not just devotees of "stark, minimalist, modern" design that are hurling criticism at the tower. Initially I loved the concept but with every week that went by I saw something in the execution of the design that disappointed me further and further. I wanted to like this tower but it honestly looks like very little attention was paid to the exterior architectural details; from the god-awful east facade of the parking garage to the incredibly heavy and mish-mashed use of spandrel to the awful colour choices for the glass and granite to the loss of proportionality due to weakened setbacks to the permanent crow's nest around the spire... the whole thing is clumsy and amateurish. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we have it, but an architectural masterpiece it is certainly not.

Yep, that's sums it up for me. I don't hate it; but it is a strange, strange building, one that leaves me feeling pretty underwhelmed.

Back