Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

This is supposed to be a primo hotel but the look of the entrance belies that. The mixed messaging of the branding here is relevant for discussion. The granite's fine but that detail has to fight against other aspects which, taken together, suggest a certain creeping negligence. It certainly doesn't scream "deluxe" to me.

Oh yeah, it will. Don't mean to suggest otherwise. Only a tiny fraction of the hotel's guests would bother to scrutinize such details as they stride into the building.

I don't know how long the sign has been up there, but I saw it lit up for the first time last night. My camera isn't capable of taking decent zoomed-in night shots, so here's a daytime closeup.

P1000378.JPG

The St Regis has this to crow about today:

The St. Regis Toronto and DesignAgency Win Best International Hotel Design Award for LOUIX LOUIS at the 2019 Restaurant & Bar Design Awards
LOUIX LOUIS
Toronto, ON, October 7, 2019 — Toronto-based DesignAgency has been awarded the prestigious International Hotel Design Award at the 2019 Restaurant & Bar Design Awards for its design of LOUIX LOUIS, the gilded 31st floor grand bar and restaurant inside The St. Regis Toronto.

Now in its 11th year, the Restaurant & Bar Design Awards is a prestigious, globally recognized competition, dedicated to the design of food and beverage spaces. The award was presented at the annual gala event at London’s King’s Cross on October 3, 2019. LOUIX LOUIS was selected from hundreds of projects submitted from 70 countries by a celebrated jury, comprised of industry leading professionals working in design, architecture, hospitality, and lifestyle media.

A mystical and alluring place to enjoy forgotten classics and rediscover the lost charm of conversation, LOUIX LOUIS soars 31 floors above the glittering Toronto skyline in the heart of downtown. Inspired by Toronto’s heritage as one of the largest distillery districts in the world during the turn of the 19th century, the dramatic interior and its 60-foot ceiling mural ‘Bouquet of Whisky’ by Toronto muralist Madison van Rijn, is designed to represent the inside of a glistening crystal whisky glass. At the heart of the restaurant is the glamorous two-storey-high grand bar showcasing over 500 dark spirits.

In response to the win, DesignAgency Principal Allen Chan stated, “We are delighted to receive this international recognition for LOUIX LOUIS and are proud to be a part of the team that worked so diligently to equate The St. Regis Toronto with sophisticated and luxurious hospitality.”

According to Tim Terceira, General Manager of The St. Regis Toronto, “We are thrilled that DesignAgency has received this prestigious recognition for their work, in partnership with the Marriott Luxury Design team, for LOUIX LOUIS. The striking design and modern elegance have set a new standard for luxury hotel restaurants within Canada and we are proud to receive this honour alongside DesignAgency."

Back