Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

The design looks pretty interesting. Nice contrast and use of mixed materials rather than just plan glass straight up and box like. The stepping levels give it some design.

TT:

at the risk of guessing the obvious... was the limestone (perfect fit for the neighbourhood of course) dumped in favour of granite for the "look at me dammit!" equity?

Nothing wrong with that of course, because Trump is totally unique on Bay Street (human beings hanging out, even living on site after 6 pm) and perhaps might be characterized as a pioneer/trailblazer of sorts in a wall to wall commercial district... so a bit of look at me is appropriate (not to mention selling the rest of the inventory).

So it's not a complaint just a question... and would love to see a snap of the sample you've seen. Hope it (the granite) has been lovingly sliced and diced from the Canadian Shield and not being delivered by ship from abroad. ;-)

Last edited:
it's a little disconcerting that in the 21st century when you can get cutting edge software like google sketchup for free, that someone could put out a rendering where the perspective was so totally and completely wrong. as the height increases the building in the rendering actually gets wider!

I'm sorry but I really really hate this building. It's such a dissapointment compared to his tower in Chicago. It looks cheap and unbalanced. What a missed opportunity. I pray that it turns out worlds better than the renderings.
Really? I think they are both pretty crappy, but if I had to pick one that is better, I'd pick TT.

Really? I think they are both pretty crappy, but if I had to pick one that is better, I'd pick TT.

I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and Trump Chicago is quite stunning, the height works really well with it's location on the river.

646d756767c040bebd4878f73d79f2a4

Yeah Trump Chicago works pretty well... it's basically Burj Dubai-lite (same architects.. SOM.., same glass supplier).

The only thing about the new, stubbier Trump Toronto that still makes me scratch my head a bit... is the tiny footprint from which this 280+ metre tower will rise.

At some point, the building will look like it shouldn't remain standing.

Yeah Trump Chicago works pretty well... it's basically Burj Dubai-lite (same architects.. SOM.., same glass supplier).

I don't think that tower is fancy enough to be compared to dubai. I've seen some of the dubai tower photos and I kind of envy them for having such daring and innovative designs. I doubt we will see much of that in Toronto. One of the designs that did catch my attention is Emerald whatever at Sheppard and Yonge and L Tower before the redesign (though I do have some reservation of it being a big L created after Libeskind). The other tower I find interesting is the curvy shape of Absolute Tower.

There are some setbacks with a glass facade. It's not bad, but I could picture a similar tower built in Toronto. Perhaps it's harder to imagine because of Toronto's Modernist heritage, which has resulted in many sophisticated buildings without setbacks.

The Chicago Spire is will be the building that will truly impress, because that corkscrew design is a fairly recent innovation. Applied to such a scale greater than the CN Tower, it will surely be the tower that reminds you of Chicago's lofty position in the area of skyscraper architecture. But it's on hold currently.

The Chicago Spire is will be the building that will truly impress, because that corkscrew design is a fairly recent innovation. Applied to such a scale greater than the CN Tower, it will surely be the tower that reminds you of Chicago's lofty position in the area of skyscraper architecture. But it's on hold currently.

That's if it ever gets built.

Back