Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Use the sidewalk. Are you a part of the Viet Cong?
YOU use the sidewalk.

All the smokers are on the street, not to mention exhaust fumes, strong wind, and bad weather. We have bad weather six months of the year, so once again, PATH system is justified.

I can reach eight food courts, four shoppers drug marts, two post offices, countless bank machines, and colleagues at other companies within 5-10 minutes walking distance without ever having to put on a coat or ruin expensive shoes.

I think the parisian catacombs would be a closer analogy.

catacombeshi2.jpg

I am by no means an expert on architecture, but I like this building.

I think it does a good job of responding to its surroundings. For one, the height of final setback (i.e. the functional roof) is roughly equal to Commerce Court West and TD. So from the East or West (the most prominent views of the tower) it will have the effect of buttressing the pinnacle towers of the skyline, FCP and Scotia Plaza. BA does this as well, but is a little too short to achieve the same effect. Overall, I like that Trump and BA will balance CCW and TD.

Also, Trump has very boxy elements to its design that acknowledges the other boxes around it. At the same time, however, Trump distinguishes itself from the other towers with that quarter-onion, PoMo, doo-hickey, which makes the statement that it is a residential building and not an office tower - the tower prizes flare over function. Post modernist buildings work best next to modernist buildings in my opinion because they contrast one another so well.

Plus, I think that the dark green will add variety to the CBD next to the red, blue, black, and greyish white of the adjacent towers. Of course, we’ll have to wait for the final product, but considering the cost of this project, I’m assuming that good materials will be used.

And that’s the breadth of my ability to analyze architecture.

YOU use the sidewalk.

All the smokers are on the street, not to mention exhaust fumes, strong wind, and bad weather. We have bad weather six months of the year, so once again, PATH system is justified.

I can reach eight food courts, four shoppers drug marts, two post offices, countless bank machines, and colleagues at other companies within 5-10 minutes walking distance without ever having to put on a coat or ruin expensive shoes.

What are you? A withering, subterranean vegabond?

Back