6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

St. Patrick Market (Queen Street) Closed

MindMe

Member Bio
Reaction score
market.jpg

I noticed the Queen Street market is closed... possibly undergoing reno. They might have kicked out all the cheap fast food places that came to take over what the city promised back in the last 1980s/early 1990s as a real market... akin to St Lawrence market. But it seemed to quickly fill up with fast food joints. Oh well. Anyone have the skinny on this closure and future plans?

Attachments

• market.jpg
    market.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 308
When Ben & Jerry's left, didn't they imply it was because of a terrible landlord?
Is it still the same one?

There is a 2 year old "confidential" staff report regarding this site online here. Sounds like it might be related.

The banner hanging on the front indicates it's being reno'd and reopened. There is a contact for leasing.

The interior of the Market is completely gutted; it's down to bare concrete.

IIRC, when the Sandwich Box left, they also were grumbling about the lousy landlord. Something about their lease not being renewed because they had the temerity to demand basic maintenance and cleanliness. That's obviously hearsay, but I'm inclined to believe it. Over the years any good tenant has left that building and has been replaced with either a vacant slot or a greasy, unappealing fast food dive.

I hope someone more competent can make the same business model work. A market there is a very cool idea. I'm not surprised the City picked them in the first place.

I was wondering what happened to this place. A real market here would work so well! I hope it reopens properly soon, but it seems that not a single thing has changed in the building yet.

The interior is gone and there's a lease sign up now, I wonder if they're waiting for some tenants and will allow them to make whatever changes they want.

Back