News   Dec 02, 2021
 3.7K     4 
News   Dec 02, 2021
 1.5K     1 

St Lawrence Market

CityPainter

Member Bio
Reaction score
The City have now broken out their red paint supply to tell motorists that the block (or most of it) between Lower Sherbourne and Princess is for buses only! Will it work? We shall see!
Just came here to post this photo of the same thing, from the other side. So far I've seen several non-transit vehicles driving in the red area (including the truck seen in my photo).

Another vehicle coming south on Princess was halfway through a right turn before realizing their mistake and doing a weird u-turn in the middle of the intersection that was pretty... dangerous.

Whether people will follow the rules after an adjustment period or just totally ignore the signage (like on the King Street Transit Priority Corridor) remains to be seen. I know where'd I'd put my money if I was betting.

esplanade_bus_lane_paint.jpg

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This block IS confusing as vehicles CAN go to/from the construction site entrance until the building is finished/ The truck COULD have been heading there, though I bet it wasn't!

CityPainter

Member Bio
Reaction score
This block IS confusing as vehicles CAN go to/from the construction site entrance until the building is finished/ The truck COULD have been heading there, though I bet it wasn't!
That's true, I thought of that, this truck didn't stop at the construction site entrance though, and it looked like just a regular delivery/cube van. The driver looked confused and stressed (probably like I do on the rare occasions I need to drive downtown...)

Reactions: DSC

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I see so many cars turn off the Esplanade onto Lower Jarvis I never would have imagined it was no left turns allowed.

In light of this discussion, interesting that I just stumbled across this:

1634787366815.png

Owen is with the City's Transportation Dept

tripwire

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah I'm quite undecided about the street changes. It feels complicated and idiosyncratic which is not good street planning IMHO.

The new arrows at Esplanade / Jarvis will be a big help alongside the no left turn sign though. Should've done that at the same time honestly.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City have just announced a public meeting to discuss their (firm, it appears) plan to open an Indigenous Men's Shelter at 67 Adelaide St E. (Corner of Church) in 2024. It will replace the Women's Drop-in Centre that has been there for some years. .(This is a few yards from the recently opened men's shelter at 76 Church Street, in the former back-packers hostel). SEE; https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...lacement-expansion-projects/67-adelaide-st-e/ and https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/9794-Final76-ChurchPublicEventPresentationAODA.pdf

Though I support shelters it does seem that this part of St Lawrence is seeing more than its fair share as it is not far from the Novotel on The Esplanade and the Salvation Army hostel on Jarvis at Adelaide. Interestingly, a familiar face is the coordinator of the "public consultation" Joe Mihevc, Community Engagement Facilitator

Last edited:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City have just announced a public meeting to discuss their (firm, it appears) plan to open an Indigenous Men's Shelter at 67 Adelaide St E. (Corner of Church) in 2024. It will replace the Women's Drop-in Centre that has been there for some years. .(This is a few yards from the recently opened men's shelter at 76 Church Street, in the former back-packers hostel). SEE; https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...lacement-expansion-projects/67-adelaide-st-e/ and https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/9794-Final76-ChurchPublicEventPresentationAODA.pdf

Though I support shelters it does seem that this part of St Lawrence is seeing more than its fair share as it is not far from the Novotel on The Esplanade and the Salvation Army hostel on Jarvis at Adelaide. Interestingly, a familiar face is the coordinator off the "public consultation" Joe Mihevc, Community Engagement Facilitator

Person for person bed for bed, I'd rather see the same number of new Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing units instead.

The object is to get people out of the shelter system, not into it.

Shelter beds are a necessary evil as first-point-of-access kind of help, as an emergency bed for right now.

But they are not the medium term or long term solution.

Its a misallocation of resources unless it is offset other shelter beds that are being closed and/or are of the old 'dorm' style and these new ones are Single-Room-Occupancy.

CityPainter

Member Bio
Reaction score
this is a few yards from the recently opened men's shelter at 76 Church Street, in the former back-packers hostel
This slipped under my radar. The Hosteling International website (and Google) seem to indicate this is a temporary COVID-related closure. Is the conversion to shelter now permanent, do you know?

The downtown east does feel overrepresented by shelters, and I have seen a noticeable increase of mentally ill people and others in distress on the streets near those shelters and facilities in recent months. Some appear to be a danger to themselves and (occasionally) others, based on numerous unfortunate incidents I have witnessed personally. I have never seen any police or any others interested in assisting.

I understand facilities need to be where the need is greatest, but I also feel there's a chicken-egg factor, particularly if other parts of the city or suburbs can wash their hands of responsibility for helping people -- leaving them to cluster in the few areas where assistance is provided, stigmatizing those areas where others don't wish to visit.

The St. Lawrence Market remains lively and vibrant despite the challenges of the post-COVID era but with so many restaurants and cafes closing and being replaced with blank-fronted cannabis shops, and now hotels and backpacker hostels being replaced with shelters, it's hard not to be feel a bit concerned if you live or run a business in the vicinity.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City website says: The temporary shelter at 76 Church Street provides approximately 55 beds relocated from Seaton House as part of the George Street Revitalization. The shelter is operated by the City of Toronto and supports people experiencing homelessness to stabilize their lives, improve life skills, address needs and goals identified by clients, and move toward securing permanent housing and independence. and The City is currently leasing this site, and in February 2021, the lease at 76 Church Street was extended until April 30, 2026.

evandyk

Member Bio
Reaction score
The last two years have been pretty hard on this neighbourhood. Even before the pandemic, it had a lot of people with marginal housing, depending on social services. The pandemic has obviously hurt a lot of people in both of those situations, and then we have added a bunch of temporary shelters.

It will bounce back eventually, but there are a lot of problems right now. Just yesterday, my wife stepped out of our place with the toddler to head to daycare and there was a bunch of used needles scattered around the doorway. I have no animosity to people who are living on the streets in difficult situations around here, but the City (and province/feds) could do so much more to help. There are a bunch of organizations who provide housing that could step in if only there was funding.

dusk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Genuine question, is there a reason other neighbourhood cannot pick up the slack? This area is slammed with shelters as it is. I read through the material above and it seems very wishy washy.

CityPainter

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a touch outside the St. Lawrence Market area and into Corktown, but it's part of the same project as the Esplanade reconstruction recently discussed, so I hope it's ok post it here. The bike lane now extends along Mill St from Parliament St to Cherry St, and here they have included planters to help separate the bikes from the cars. They are also in the midst of building a curb cut where the Parliament Square park path meets Parliament Street, which will lead the bikes directly through the middle of the intersection into the bike lane, rather that through the crosswalks.

mill-bikelanes-1.jpg

mill-bikelanes-2.jpg

I'm not sure when the separate path for bikes will be added through the park -- I hope the Ontario Line work does not interfere with that plan, because even though I'm in support of these bike lanes I have some apprehension about more cyclists speeding through the park on the current path that is shared with pedestrians.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a touch outside the St. Lawrence Market area and into Corktown, but it's part of the same project as the Esplanade reconstruction recently discussed, so I hope it's ok post it here. The bike lane now extends along Mill St from Parliament St to Cherry St, and here they have included planters to help separate the bikes from the cars. They are also in the midst of building a curb cut where the Parliament Square park path meets Parliament Street, which will lead the bikes directly through the middle of the intersection into the bike lane, rather that through the crosswalks.

View attachment 358955

View attachment 358956

I'm not sure when the separate path for bikes will be added through the park -- I hope the Ontario Line work does not interfere with that plan, because even though I'm in support of these bike lanes I have some apprehension about more cyclists speeding through the park on the current path that is shared with pedestrians.
There are more pics on the Bike Lanes page https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...s-headed-downtown.15478/page-236#post-1750950

The path through Parliament Sq Park will be redone in 2022. Pedestrians will use current one and cyclists will have a new separate one running through southern part of what is now the Green P lot. That MAY be what all the roadwork in your photo is preparing for.