News   Dec 06, 2021
 305     0 
News   Dec 03, 2021
 2.7K     1 

St Lawrence Market

evandyk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I told them no one will ever visit those patios in large numbers while the street is choked with cars all circling in the hopes that one of the eight parking spots will open up, or trying to sneak by the gridlock at Front and Jarvis.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I said it should be pedestrianised 365 days a year!! They are really SO timid!

I used the comments to take aim at the value of the parking; the preferability of patio space and live music and a tree or two.

Additionally, I mentioned that I sometimes drive to the area (like twice a year tops, but I may have omitted that).......
and....that the Green P lot by Church was far preferable to circling the block on Market St. looking for a spot.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Turning onto Market Street from Front Street is now prohibited for westbound vehicles, with big planters in place to stop traffic.
This was approved by Council about 8 weeks ago as part of the plans for The Esplanade bike tracks. The aim is to stop vehicles using Market to circumvent the new one way sections that are coming in 2022. When the new Market is finished and Market Lane Park is restored the intention is that the median on Front will be properly extended to replace the pots and something - special paving, maybe - done to better link the North and South markets.

Andy_in_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
How long is the pedestrian zone staying with us on Market St.?

I was expecting this much earlier to happen. Should be full week and not just the weekend. Even the Bymarket is Ottawa implemented pedestrian only areas.

Rufus8

Member Bio
Reaction score
How long is the pedestrian zone staying with us on Market St.?

I was expecting this much earlier to happen. Should be full week and not just the weekend. Even the Bymarket is Ottawa implemented pedestrian only areas.
Even the tourist bus was caught off guard by the barriers.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Andy_in_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
@DSC - I filled the survey if it makes any difference. I spotted the following as a question: “The I Heart Market Street pilot is currently planned for two consecutive weekends at the end of August. Do you support continuing these closures each weekend until Thanksgiving?”

So to completely assign Market St. for pedestrians after those two funny weekends is possible. Who is deciding on this and what is the latest?

Thank you very much.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@DSC - I filled the survey if it makes any difference. I spotted the following as a question: “The I Heart Market Street pilot is currently planned for two consecutive weekends at the end of August. Do you support continuing these closures each weekend until Thanksgiving?”

So to completely assign Market St. for pedestrians after those two funny weekends is possible. Who is deciding on this and what is the latest?

Thank you very much.
The survey (which I agree is not well constructed) is by the BIA and they are only one of many interested in this matter. There are certainly merchants (primarily IN the Market) who think the parking on Market St is essential for their survival but there are merchants (primarily restaurants on Market St) who want it totally closed, at least in summer. The SLNA is, I think, in favour of total closure as is the City's own Market Precinct Advisory Committee. If you want it closed I suggest you write to The Chair of the Precinct Advisory Committee c/o Market Manager daniel.picheca@toronto.ca you could also copy President of SLNA (president@slna.ca) and Councillor Wong-Tam Councillor Wongtam <councillor_wongtam@toronto.ca> The final decision will be made by the Toronto & East York Community Council - I think a Report on it is expected at their November meeting.

Rufus8

Member Bio
Reaction score
As noted up this thread, the closure is a 2 weekend experiment. I must say I have NEVER seen a tourist bus on Market Street and am surprised if one has attempted it. If you want Market pedestrianised fill in the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflJwE8tsOv2vqaZqSqWqUkXnHWQnIFjwEJquy_FqK2X6WdgQ/viewform
he didn't try to turn he was just weaving around someone who was trying to turn. Then of course first driver realized he couldn't turn and then decided to just "pop" in front of a moving bus. The most entertaining thing downtown is watching people drive.

Andy_in_Toronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Market St. next to the SLM was open to pedestrians only for the last weekends. The Old Town BIA is in charge and calls it I Heart Market Street: http://oldtowntoronto.ca/marketstreet/ The person leading it is Stephen Maciejowski – Director of Operations & Special Projects, stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca

I wrote him to ask to be bold and move with the project forward. Of course, some market vendors are afraid loosing their free parking spot on Market St, but clients, visitors and restaurants are overwhelmingly in favour to have Market St. reserved for pedestrians only. Great discussion on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/StLawrenceNeighbourhoodMarketplace/permalink/3120923544803724/

This upcoming weekend it will be same mess on Market St. as the project stopped already. Clearly to stop this right now and not to continue the initiative will cause to lose a big opportunity to create a better public realm and increase sales for businesses. Stephen is saying that it might come back in Sept or Oct. if more public interest is there. On Facebook he was admitting that he is overwhelmed by the positive feedback to have Market St closed to cars, SUV and Pick-up.

He is asking for feedback - https://forms.gle/Dsd3ehdzTPmWbHgBA

I would like also to encourage everyone to write Stephen an email (stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca) to keep this pilot alive. I even brought up the idea to host a Christmas Market in Nov. Dec. Stop endless consulting and start just doing something with improvements over time!

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Market St. next to the SLM was open to pedestrians only for the last weekends. The Old Town BIA is in charge and calls it I Heart Market Street: http://oldtowntoronto.ca/marketstreet/ The person leading it is Stephen Maciejowski – Director of Operations & Special Projects, stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca

I wrote him to ask to be bold and move with the project forward. Of course, some market vendors are afraid loosing their free parking spot on Market St, but clients, visitors and restaurants are overwhelmingly in favour to have Market St. reserved for pedestrians only. Great discussion on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/StLawrenceNeighbourhoodMarketplace/permalink/3120923544803724/

This upcoming weekend it will be same mess on Market St. as the project stopped already. Clearly to stop this right now and not to continue the initiative will cause to lose a big opportunity to create a better public realm and increase sales for businesses. Stephen is saying that it might come back in Sept or Oct. if more public interest is there. On Facebook he was admitting that he is overwhelmed by the positive feedback to have Market St closed to cars, SUV and Pick-up.

He is asking for feedback - https://forms.gle/Dsd3ehdzTPmWbHgBA

I would like also to encourage everyone to write Stephen an email (stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca) to keep this pilot alive. I even brought up the idea to host a Christmas Market in Nov. Dec. Stop endless consulting and start just doing something with improvements over time!
Also write to the St Lawrence Market Precinct Advisory Committee c/o Daniel Picheca <Daniel.Picheca@toronto.ca> (Daniel is the Market Manager) and the president@slna.ca

Rufus8

Member Bio
Reaction score
I disagree, don't think Market Street should be pedestrianized at all. When the North Market is back on Front Street the one way street will be useful again, even more so when/if the market's lower level is reconfigured. It's a bloody nightmare with all these pedestrians all over the place, because of course the traffic has to go somewhere and that makes the surrounding area even harder to navigate for local residents. All those pedestrians get here somehow and not all via public transit.