Toronto St Lawrence Centre Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO | Hariri Pontarini

Preferred choice for the St. Lawrence Centre Redevelopment Competition

• Brook McIlroy, Trahan Architects, and Hood Design Studio

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Diamond Schmitt, Smoke Architecture, and MVVA

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Hariri Pontarini, LMN Architects, Tawaw Collective, Smoke Architecture, and SLA

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • RDHA, Mecanoo, Two Row Architect, and NAK Design Strategies

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Zeidler Architecture, Diller Scofidio + Renfro, Two Row Architect, and PLANT Architect

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was an article in The Star about a report by D+S
due in the Fall about options to renovate/replace the St. Lawrence Centre. Did anyone else catch it?

I see DanCap involved; actually, they probably already are involved behind the scenes. They tried to buy CanStage a few years ago. Performing arts venues are really becoming Diamond+Schmitt's forté.

On one hand, it's an example of Brutalism that we may regret demolishing in 50 years; but on the other hand, it's certainly not an exceptional example of Brutalism, and the neighourhood definitely deserves something a little more fitting.

As long as there's various Shawn Micallef types out there, when it comes to something like this, "in 50 years" is now.

It'd probably be easier to dispose of painlessly were it half its age (cf. the 80s ROM, the 90s AGO)

Very interesting! From the article it looks like anything could happen here. I wonder if this location is even zoned for a condo? I would assume with the heritage towns and the park across the street (possible shadowing) a condo is not likely, anyone else with a POV?

Would be a shame as we need more art centres and a reno would be amazing for the area.

Hmm, I live on one of the top floors of the east tower (the mid-rise) London on the Esplanade which sits right behind the SLC. If the city were to sell this and build a performance centre + condo on top, the enitre east tower of LoE will be facing a wall (as opposed to just the first few floors with the SLC in its existing shape). I, for one, am not too thrilled, but one cannot stop progress, of course.

Shot was taken today. You can really see the size of the lot. You could potentially fit 2 condos if the land is sold to a developer. I wonder if it's even possible with the zoning. Does anyone know if there are height restrictions for this spot?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 548
Not too far from this site.. Does anyone know the status of the St. Lawrence Market - North?

I would hate to see the loss of this gem of a performing arts centre to yet more banal condos... and wouldn't this be a perfect solution for Dancap? Where would Canadian Stage go though??

Having said the above I'm not sure just how much 'architecture' there is left on view here, especially after recent 'improvements/. If the Front facade could be kept would it matter all that much if condos were set back, fronting the Esplanade?

... and if D+S do the work it'll be more respectful of this rather dainty, ladylike example of Brutalism than Libeskind's visually loud one-upmanship of the former O'Keefe Centre.

As far as the programming goes, DanCap and CanStage could share the facility such as is being done successfully at the Four Seasons with the COC, NBC and DanCap. Structurally, we could see theatres being stacked to free up space for towers.

Dancap only uses the FSC during the summer months when the COC and and the NB are on hiatus, so they really aren't sharing the venue in a true sense. Both Canadian Stage and Dancap offer subscription seasons so it could get complicated having them share the space, and all the more so if particular production has staying power like the Jersey Boys did for Dancap.

I think they should just leave the little thing the way it is.

No demolitions needed or, worse, new towers here. I'd like to see it stay. A zillion parking lots cry out for love, why go after this?

Back