6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

St Joseph's Hospital Expansion

News Release
Ontario Supporting St. Joseph's Health Centre Redevelopment in Toronto
January 7, 2020
Province Building Hospital Capacity to Help End Hallway Health Care
TORONTO — As part of its comprehensive plan to end hallway health care, Ontario is investing $27 billion over 10 years to build new and expanded hospital infrastructure while also supporting the delivery of new community-based programs and services.
Today, Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, was at Unity Health Toronto — St. Joseph's Health Centre to announce that the province is supporting the major redevelopment of the hospital, starting with an initial investment of up to $5 million to fund early planning. When complete, this project will include a new patient tower and renovations to the existing facility to expand integrated health care services and reduce wait times.
"As part of our plan to end hallway health care, our government is building much-needed capacity by investing in major hospital infrastructure projects like the redevelopment of St. Joseph's Health Centre," said Elliott. "This project will reduce wait times and help more patients and families in southwest Toronto and beyond access the coordinated care they need in a modern, state-of-the art facility."
The new infrastructure will also allow access to new and emerging technologies that will support better patient outcomes. The proposed redevelopment project includes:

• Construction of a new clinical services tower;
  • Infrastructure upgrades to existing hospital facilities;
  • A new and expanded emergency department;
  • Expanded medical and surgical inpatient programs;
  • Adult, child and adolescent mental health programs; and
  • Outpatient procedures unit and clinics.

"Ontario is building a connected and sustainable public health care system centred around the needs of patients," said Elliott. "This investment is another example of how we are increasing access to reliable, quality care, while building the capacity we need to help end hallway health care."

"Next year will mark 100 years of St. Joseph's Health Centre providing care in west-end Toronto. As we enter into our next century of service, we are looking forward to the impact this funding will have in reimagining how we will provide the best possible care experiences in the future," said Dr. Tim Rutledge, President and CEO of Unity Health Toronto. "On behalf of our staff, physicians, and the more than half a million people we serve in our west-end communities, we thank the government of Ontario for this investment into a healthier future."
QUICK FACTS
  • Unity Health Toronto has three sites: Providence Healthcare; St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital.
  • St. Joseph’s Health Centre is a Catholic community teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto.
  • The Ministry of Health will work with Unity Health Toronto to develop a budget for the redevelopment of the St. Joseph’s Health Centre.

I didn't know @Edward Skira was now UT's breaking news reporter! The man wears so many hats!

While the above announcement is good, it's really only $5M for planning.

The Ontario hospital planning process is a labourious and slow one; so (seriously) don't look for any constsruction tenders for about 5 more years, all going well; and a new hospital open, maybe, in 2029-2030.

For those that are interested in what the process looks like, I found this descriptor online that sums it up well.

1578423467402.png

1578423508287.png

I lifted that from Hamilton Health Sciences at this url: http://ourhealthyfuture.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/OHF_BN_PlanningProcess.pdf

In their case, they note the process may take 20 years (that's unusually long, to say the least); But around 10'ish including construction is normative.

Ontario Building a Stronger, More Resilient Unity Health Toronto

TORONTO — As part of its plan stay open, the Ontario government is investing over $1 billion to redevelop and expand Unity Health Toronto’s St. Joseph’s Health Centre. This funding will build a stronger Ontario by delivering a new state-of-the-art patient care tower and supporting renovations to the existing hospital to expand much-needed health care services and improve access to high-quality care for the residents of Toronto and the surrounding communities.

Ontario Building a Stronger, More Resilient Unity Health Toronto

TORONTO — As part of its plan stay open, the Ontario government is investing over $1 billion to redevelop and expand Unity Health Toronto’s St. Joseph’s Health Centre. This funding will build a stronger Ontario by delivering a new state-of-the-art patient care tower and supporting renovations to the existing hospital to expand much-needed health care services and improve access to high-quality care for the residents of Toronto and the surrounding communities.

This is such a pre-election presser...........they haven't actually approved anything close to construction..........they've approved the move to Stage 2 of the process I posted above.

Three more stages to go to get to construction. This one is still years away.

Last edited:
This is where my brother spent the last 4 months of his life, stayed on a ward with no working shower for patients. The 1930's building needs to go, it was poorly planned to start with. There are beautiful common rooms facing the lake full of broken furniture and tvs, it was surreal to be in such a run down place full of vulnerable sick people. No wonder he got so many infections, he survived covid but not sepsis. Poor bastard. I guess you get a billion when you bump off the population before they claim pensions.

This is where my brother spent the last 4 months of his life, stayed on a ward with no working shower for patients. The 1930's building needs to go, it was poorly planned to start with. There are beautiful common rooms facing the lake full of broken furniture and tvs, it was surreal to be in such a run down place full of vulnerable sick people. No wonder he got so many infections, he survived covid but not sepsis. Poor bastard. I guess you get a billion when you bump off the population before they claim pensions.
Ontario needs to go on a massive hospital building spree.

Ontario needs to go on a massive hospital building spree.
This is what planning and development should be. These buildings have a place in our community, the questions should be what is the purpose of the new construction, how does it contribute, how will age, how will it interact with the community and the changes we can see coming down the road. It's not about getting money to fund decorations it's about the bricks and mortar of our community. I feel like I'm on another planet, how is it all that is visible is marketing??? Can't do this nonsense again, glad they got a billion, I'm off to check the 50% discounts at Loblaws........

As there is an election in 6 weeks time, I suggest we do not get too excited about this or any other such announcement. Christmas is not the only season when shiny baubles are waved at 'the children". Not that I think St Joe's should not get a new building but ......

these projects tend to get announced right before an election, regardless of party, and enter delivery over the following years.

The Liberals pulled the same thing. Election year is always the "goody" year of initial announcements, and the years following focus on implementation.

The hospital building here isn't going to magically pop up next year, but 3-4 years from now will likely be starting construction as a result of this announcement.

A little history on the site...

From link.

A surveyor and architect who is woven into much of Toronto’s 19th century history is John George Howard. He had built himself a home, Colborne Lodge, in what is now High Park, and continued to look around at other properties. In 1844, he and one partner purchased Park Lot 25, consisting of 100 acres. Four years later he was sole owner and decided to build a house near the lake, which he named Sunny-side. This is the name used later to define an amusement park and, even later, to define a host of small business enterprises. Howard intended the building as an attraction among the many building lots he laid out on the Park Lot, and called the house a “marine villa” as it looked out to the lake. From the house, he watched a famous ship founder in a storm and engaged in the rescue of its crew, but he did not live in the house. Howard was also selling off timber cut from his land. Eventually, all of the building lots were sold and by this time the area was known as Sunnyside. The last sale made by Howard was of the house and the 9-acre lot on which it stood. George Cheney purchased it and converted it into a picnic area. There were subsequent owners, the last of whom became aware of the space crisis at the House of Providence on Power Street and its problems in accommodating children.

At first, Sunnyside was loaned to the Sisters of St. Joseph, who used it as a boys’ orphanage. In 1881, the Roman Catholic Diocese purchased the property and the institution became Sacred Heart Children’s Orphanage, still run by the Sisters of St. Joseph, but accommodating both boys and girls. The original four-storey house had many additions, but the basic structure was octagonal in shape and Romanesque in style. It soon disappeared as the work expanded. In typical fashion, the City of Toronto decided to expropriate the property for use as a school in the growing residential area. To prevent the expropriation, the Sisters of St. Joseph and the Diocese decided to convert the property into a hospital, which could not be expropriated. The hospital opened in 1921. During successive expansions, Howard’s house was demolished in 1945.​

Back