News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 574     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

St. James Park Revitalization (PMA Landscape Architects)

August 11, 2020

2E0B5AB6-FEC9-4F19-8DF0-A9CB1B117CC1.jpeg

Yesterday they were finishing the installation of the 'bandshell' lighting. Some strips of LED up the 'arms' and, I think, some from the 'roof''. I look forward to seeing how it looks and have high hopes as their other lighting looks pretty good ; see the under-seat lights' in photo above (Adelaide entrance near Church). It will be interesting to see how Park and Cathedral lights 'interact' too.

Word on the street (or in the Park) is that the Park will fully-reopen later this week. They were busy today laying sod on the Adelaide Street side where the workers have been parking their trucks etc and they replanted a new tree that had clearly died.

Pavilion is still a bit too heavy-handed even at night.

Also not a particular fan of how its arches essentially come down to the ground in the middle of the stage.

Overall, the park feels "refreshed" and I like the upgrades, ex. the added benches, lighting, stage cover. But the design language is too chunky and contemporary for this particular park, IMO. I would have preferred a modern take on a more traditional design sensibility, something "thinner" and more refined-looking.

Back