News   Apr 23, 2024
 292     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 344     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 574     0 

St. James Park Revitalization (PMA Landscape Architects)

Work on Phase 1 of the Master Plan - the children's playground where the Holt sculpture used to be - is starting 'in the spring.

Architectural design for Phase 2 has just been put to tender: https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/ca...1005FBFE8/$file/9118-17-5072 Viewing Copy.pdf

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number: 9118-17-5072
Commodity:
Professional Services, Architectural Services
Description:
St. James Park, Phase 2 Improvements, Professional and Technical Landscape Architectural Services. For: Professional and Technical Landscape Architectural Services to implement the second phase of park improvements, St. James Park – Phase 2 Improvements.

IMG_8252.JPG
IMG_8254.JPG
IMG_8253.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8252.JPG
    IMG_8252.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_8254.JPG
    IMG_8254.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_8253.JPG
    IMG_8253.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 623
Yes, work is going well and it is expected that the playground will re-open (or open) in early fall. Once it is open the work on the rest of the park will be able to start and that will go on through next summer.

The playground looks really fun and shares elements with the new playgrounds at Grange Park and 420 Sackville (still under construction). I noticed that they've installed a metal slide, which has been hilariously controversial at Corktown Common recently. There's a better tree canopy here, though.

Last edited:
It's been well over a year since they removed most of the benches from the garden area. Can't help but wonder why it was necessary.

It's been well over a year since they removed most of the benches from the garden area. Can't help but wonder why it was necessary.
Not sure about the benches but in phase 2 the "Victorian Garden" will expand eastwards to 'take over" the rather desolate area where the horse trough is. Apart from that the Garden will not change.

Not sure about the benches but in phase 2 the "Victorian Garden" will expand eastwards to 'take over" the rather desolate area where the horse trough is. Apart from that the Garden will not change.

That's good news. It is a lovely garden and I used to enjoy sitting there.

It's really reassuring to see that we've managed to overcome the overly safe and sanitized play structures that proliferated in the early 2000s. The park near my house lost a great wooden fort that had some real ways to be adventurous and sometimes hurt yourself, with one that that is lower, plastic, and just boring after a couple uses. I never see kids on it. This is such a great trend to see, I'm sure most would agree.

I quite like these new themed playgrounds. This market one is fun, as is the art supply-themed one in Grange Park. If memory serves the playground in Mimico Waterfront Park has a sailing theme. It just makes them a bit more memorable even if they all use common elements.

The play structures in the Grange Park, and this one in St. James, are both by Earthscape. They build really fun and interesting playgrounds.

Back