News   Apr 19, 2024
 858     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

St Gabriel's (Shane Baghai, North York)

scarberiankhatru

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's no thread about the St. Gabriel's project, but there have been pics and comments in a few other random threads that you might care to search for. Suburban projects under 30 storeys and/or with less than 2000 units invariably fly under the UT radar.

March 22

2353620226_2e96bfe9b2_b.jpg

2352788253_c38f0dfb53_b.jpg

2353614554_a9fd35bcdc_b.jpg

2352782487_b0554dcd61_b.jpg

Are those off-grid rectangles vents? They couldn't make more of an effort to line them up with the other elements?

I sure hope they use vents and grills that match the wall colour/texture.

It's weird seeing my name on a thread as 'creator' since I've never started a thread before...I feel compelled to contribute. All the pics that show this project in context remind me that the "luxury" Baghai-rises are almost indistinguishable from the 40 year old commie blocks next door, which I find hilarious. More towers are good for Sheppard, but this complex really shuns the new St. Gabriel's church, hiding it from view and robbing it of the prime Sheppard frontage the old church had and showcased with its huge mosaic.

I actually hate the fact that they, colour wise, look like the old towers to the west. A different colour would have been a plus. A different design would have been a major plus.

Those are some of the worst condos I've seen, and surprise surprise, they're in North York!

There is definitely a very odd and disconcerting juxtaposition between the commie blocks and St. Gabe's, not only in terms of colour but in terms of massing, relationship (or non-relationship) to the street, etc. It all makes for a very odd quintet of ugliness.

I think I remember reading in press clippings a few years ago that Shane Baghai and the city worked out an agreement whereby the buildings would have similar scale and massing to the existing "3 Sisters". They also agreed that the developer would pay for 6-month metro passes for each unit.

In the end, the victims are those of us with vision. Worst yet, these condos are just a slightly lesser shade of puke compared to the Daniel's developments across the street. Yes, this node will be dense. But with the exception of ARC Condos, this node is a disaster in terms of style.

I don't find the mid-rise on the NW corner (just west of Bayview) to be all that bad. Compared to St. Gabriel's and NY Towers they are actually quite good. Arc will be the best looking of the bunch.

What is with this tan/beige colour being used on all of these high end condos, especially in North York?

I am getting a sense that some members in UT tends to just bash any projects that is not downtown Toronto .... I do not believe anything built in North York, Scarborough, Markham, Vaughan, Missisissauga are just crap by default

Regardless ... I think this project is well design/built and if you know the builder's products, you may be impressed by their current profolio of upscale residences which I look forward to seeing here as well when completed ...

I agree the facade colour here was too similar to the '3 sisters' to the west, I suppose Shane Baghai was trying to fit in, but it would have been nice if they were more distinguishable .... and indeed the site is a bit tight much like most new developments along Sheppard ... but overall the design concept works

when the site was redeveloped, a new church was built on the northern part of the site away from Sheppard, I suppose lands with Sheppard frontage was more valuable to sell so that the church would get more out of the real estate transaction

Back