Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I don't have any sympathy for York Region :)

Chacun son gout. They're paying their share and it's not their transit commission that screwed up the construction in what appears to be every possible way, however. Anyway, you don't have to have a sympathy for an entire municipality but it seems only fair to acknowledge that, despite it being primarily Toronto's screw-up, they're not the only ones footing the bill as a result.

Well it's not Toronto that decided YR needed a useless subway :)

It won't be a useless subway. It will be an integral part of the region's transit network.

Some people can't get over things that happened 10 years ago; best to let it lie or we'll find ourselves arguing about how nobody rides Sheppard either.

In the meantime, I think what's relevant is that it was TTC's construction project, they muffed it hugely, and that Toronto taxpayers won't be the only ones who have to pay for the over-runs. When it's all said and done, they may be minority contributors. I don't actually care if people in Alberta are upset about it (indeed, I think it's a national embarrassment we have no federal funding for transit), I'm just pointing out that money from York Region, Queen's Park and Ottawa will likely factor into making this project whole but so far the focus has all been Toronto Toronto Toronto. (It should be, to an extent, I grant. Particularly for people who think a Scarborough subway is likely to fare any better if TTC builds it.)

Some people can't get over things that happened 10 years ago; best to let it lie or we'll find ourselves arguing about how nobody rides Sheppard either.

In the meantime, I think what's relevant is that it was TTC's construction project, they muffed it hugely, and that Toronto taxpayers won't be the only ones who have to pay for the over-runs. When it's all said and done, they may be minority contributors. I don't actually care if people in Alberta are upset about it (indeed, I think it's a national embarrassment we have no federal funding for transit), I'm just pointing out that money from York Region, Queen's Park and Ottawa will likely factor into making this project whole but so far the focus has all been Toronto Toronto Toronto. (It should be, to an extent, I grant. Particularly for people who think a Scarborough subway is likely to fare any better if TTC builds it.)

or complain about it in twenty years when we had the opportunity to do it but didn't because we just kept arguing lol

Since we are not able to ride the Spadina extension as yet, let us take a ride on the CTA's Brown Line instead.

Too fast? Here's the same ride in real time:

Note the level crossings at near the beginning and end of the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you will have no problem in navigating through a subway map like this
View attachment 43303

I don't think that's an official Tokyo Metro map. Tokyo actually has a very good system that's easy to navigate and the TTC would have been smart to steal it.

Each line has a name, a single letter abbreviation and a colour. Each station has a name but also takes the abbreviation and colour from the line(s) it's on and has its own number.
Even when the maps aren't in English, it's pretty easy for tourists to get around. You know you want to take the yellow line and get off at G02 station.

Each station also has all the exits numbered. A business or tourist attraction can post on their website not just which station to get off at but which exit to take once you are there.

For the TTC, I'd have the Yonge Line (Y) and the University Line (U) with Union as both U01 and Y01 stations. With separate platforms now, you could label them separately as well. The platform that is used by the Yonge bound trains would be Y01 and the University bound trains would be labeled U01. Any expansion north would just add a new numbered station to the end. Easy.

I don't think that's an official Tokyo Metro map. Tokyo actually has a very good system that's easy to navigate and the TTC would have been smart to steal it.

Each line has a name, a single letter abbreviation and a colour. Each station has a name but also takes the abbreviation and colour from the line(s) it's on and has its own number.
Even when the maps aren't in English, it's pretty easy for tourists to get around. You know you want to take the yellow line and get off at G02 station.

Each station also has all the exits numbered. A business or tourist attraction can post on their website not just which station to get off at but which exit to take once you are there.

For the TTC, I'd have the Yonge Line (Y) and the University Line (U) with Union as both U01 and Y01 stations. With separate platforms now, you could label them separately as well. The platform that is used by the Yonge bound trains would be Y01 and the University bound trains would be labeled U01. Any expansion north would just add a new numbered station to the end. Easy.

I am aware of that. Tokyo's subway signage is excellent. I used it for 4 days without needing to ask for directions.

My point of showing a subway map with only Japanese characters is that in Toronto, it helps non-English speakers to identify lines with a number or yellow pattern than by their route name (yonge line, Spadina line) because many visitors, and many residents as well, can't read in English (nor should it be a requirement to navigate the subway system). Latin alphabets and English words are not global in case some people didn't know, but the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 are.

And Toronto will pay up as well. There is no way either government can say no this far into the project.

And it's confirmed - they approved it at council not long ago

Off topic slightly but Tokyo subway? One of the most insanely convoluted and difficult subway systems I have used. The nodal ring of transportation stations is brilliant urban planning but I quickly learned not to use the subway when possible and stick instead as much as possible to the Japanese rail lines. The redundancy of stations and confusion of the dual private operators makes the subway an example of what no to do. Connecting from one line to another can require going outside, inside, up and, down, around the block etc. to the point where it is just faster to walk from a to b.

Off topic slightly but Tokyo subway? One of the most insanely convoluted and difficult subway systems I have used. The nodal ring of transportation stations is brilliant urban planning but I quickly learned not to use the subway when possible and stick instead as much as possible to the Japanese rail lines. The redundancy of stations and confusion of the dual private operators makes the subway an example of what no to do. Connecting from one line to another can require going outside, inside, up and, down, around the block etc. to the point where it is just faster to walk from a to b.
I have to disagree with this. I spent 10 days in Tokyo two summers ago and found it to be quite easy to navigate. That map is insane but once you've taken a moment to look at it you can plan your upcoming trip quickly. It's fairly easy to figure out considering how large the system is and that it's operated by more then one agency.

I think Toronto could benefit significantly by taking a page out of Tokyo's book in this regard.

PRESS RELEASE

TTC, Bechtel sign project management contract

April 13, 2015

The Toronto Transit Commission has entered into an agreement with Bechtel Canada Co. for project management of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) for up to $80 million.

The contract value to Bechtel is based on staffing costs, management fees and incentives to open the subway extension by Dec. 31, 2017. Bechtel staff begin work today and will form an integrated team with existing TTC personnel. The Bechtel contract will expire March 31, 2018. Bechtel's project director will report directly to TTC CEO Andy Byford.

On March 26, the TTC board approved a report from staff that recommended TTC enter into a sole soTurce agreement with a project manager with a proven track record of delivering similar-sized projects on time, and with experience working with multiple contractors, in order to have the TYSSE in service by Dec. 31, 2017.

Toronto City Council subsequently authorized the expenditure of $90 million, while the Regional Municipality of York authorized the expenditure of $60 million, for a total of $150 million (third party contractor, plus in-house project costs), to fully deliver TYSSE by the end of 2017.​

Back