Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I presume it's only because this is affecting students way at the City's edge that this isn't a big news story every day.
(i.e. if people trying to get to U of T and Queen's Park were being forced to get off at Dundas and walk, it would be.)

It's an utter failure of policy and everyone at York U, TTC, Metrolinx and YRT should be roasted for it. They had a decade, supplemented by a two-year construction delay, to work out something to avoid this precise issue which everyone could see coming a mile away. It's embarrassing, not just because of the specifics but because of what it says about the total inability of our transit agencies to function coherently for the riders they serve at a systemic level. People who live just north of Steeles have longed complained about the fare wall and you can see people parking their bikes and cars at Steeles to avoid paying it. You could stand at Yonge/Steeles and watch half-empty YRT buses live "TTC riders" standing at the stop waiting for a packed bus that's actually allowed to pick them up.

And now we've institutionalized and formalized this counter-productive, outdated system. It doesn't bode well for RER/SmartTrack, which is useless without integration, and while I don't think Doug Ford's uploading plan could possibly be done sensibly, at least someone is attempting to grab the bull by the horns. No one else seems to much care; and in an election year, no less. In the meantime, every day, 1,000s of riders suffer because of it.

That's my two cents, anyway.

At York U:
upload_2018-9-6_12-31-56.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_12-31-56.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-6_12-31-56.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 755
Wish they would extend the artwork to the walls to give that Torontoesque feeling of pulling in to different consecutive stations.

those look a bit like the lines on the platforms in Montreal......when started using the metro there semi-regularly it was one of the first things that struck me....how people waited for their trans on either side of those lines and how it automatically created space for people to leave trains before people started boarding.

those look a bit like the lines on the platforms in Montreal......when started using the metro there semi-regularly it was one of the first things that struck me....how people waited for their trans on either side of those lines and how it automatically created space for people to leave trains before people started boarding.

Really? What struck me is how people would still block the door despite the presence of those markings.

I mean, I think the markings are a great idea and will encourage the right behaviour. It's just that from my daily experience commuting in Montreal, I don't think the etiquette around letting people exit before entering has developed there yet, even with the platform markings.

I find myself constantly glaring at people, sometimes I'm even forced to shove through in order to exit the train.

I mean, I think the markings are a great idea and will encourage the right behaviour. It's just that from my daily experience commuting in Montreal, I don't think the etiquette around letting people exit before entering has developed there yet, even with the platform markings.

I find myself constantly glaring at people, sometimes I'm even forced to shove through in order to exit the train.
We clearly have experienced different things on the Metro.

I transfer from the green line to the orange line everyday at Lionel-Groulx where there are markings, and at rush hour, 99% of the people say clear of the area indicated by the markings. Sometimes you have lines-ups on each side of the markings that go almost all the way to the opposing platform. Going between the line-ups feels like you just won a marathon or something :)

Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.

I really think they made a mistake not making the sheppard west busses stopping primarily at Downsview Park. Sure you can get off but theres a long walk to the station so most people simple stay on until Sheppard West. It also doesn't make much sense to me if there is a GO train there that people can transfer to.

Back