Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Fritter

Member Bio
Reaction score
How about Jedi Knights? There's more Jedi Knights living in Canada than there are Scientologists, just from using official census data alone.
But how well does the TYSSE do the Kessel Run? Does it do it in less than 12 Parsecs?

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ehh, you'd be surprised. Lectures start at 8:30 am. The campus is usually pretty busy by 11.
That's what I mean, no one is really riding the subway at 11 because everyone is already at campus. I've never had a class later than 10 (though admittedly, Waterloo is different from York, and engineering is a lot more demanding than most programs).

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
That's what I mean, no one is really riding the subway at 11 because everyone is already at campus. I've never had a class later than 10 (though admittedly, Waterloo is different from York, and engineering is a lot more demanding than most programs).
You may want to re-work that because it reads as “engineering is so demanding that my day was done by 10 every day” :)

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another ridership update. Took TYSSE northbound just before 11 am today. Every station between Sheppard West and YorkU is a ghost town. Few students coming to and from YorkU. SB a few hours later wasn't much better with maybe about half the seats occupied.
That's generally what you can expect from this line moving forward.

Busy during rush hour, minimal usage at all other times.

Is it really any surprise? Look at where it's located:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.784202,-79.5244738,3a,75y,157.12h,76.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJz88EIW4VCTR6wxO72pD7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Walking Dead episode.

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
You may want to re-work that because it reads as “engineering is so demanding that my day was done by 10 every day” :)
My mistake, "start of classes has never been later than 10 am for me" is probably a better way of doing it. Note to all young people: if you don't like being on campus after 7:30 for classes/tutorials, don't do engineering.

That's generally what you can expect from this line moving forward.

Busy during rush hour, minimal usage at all other times.

Is it really any surprise? Look at where it's located:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.784202,-79.5244738,3a,75y,157.12h,76.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJz88EIW4VCTR6wxO72pD7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Walking Dead episode.
It really makes me wonder why they built the extension underground, there's so much open space out there, you could probably fit in another yard if you wanted to or something (it would be a very redundant yard, but a yard nonetheless).

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
My mistake, "start of classes has never been later than 10 am for me" is probably a better way of doing it. Note to all young people: if you don't like being on campus after 7:30 for classes/tutorials, don't do engineering.

It really makes me wonder why they built the extension underground, there's so much open space out there, you could probably fit in another yard if you wanted to or something (it would be a very redundant yard, but a yard nonetheless).
could you provide an example of where exactly this line could go above ground?

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

What planeted do you live on and have you every travel on the surface to really see what there in the first place????

The University was very concern about the underground section that they wanted the line to be some where else than it currently is.

Where do you see the new yard going to be???

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
The University was very concern about the underground section that they wanted the line to be some where else than it currently is.
This is a bit off topic, but is this a similar explanation for the University Line not going under UofT? But the more likely reason is probably planning for Bloor-Danforth Line and the wye at St George and Bay.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't say it'd be too possible south of Steeles, but agree with Streety that north of Steeles an open-air solution could've been beyond feasible. The roadway's ROW seems to be in the area of 40m. In other words you could put an el or open cut within the ROW and still expand the road for centuries to come. It's massive. No residents (nimbys) to complain, much of it is zoned parkway with some agricultural, then ultra-suburban commercial/employment. That right there is like the epitome of where open-air is optimal, where seemingly most cities would build open-air, just as Toronto used to do.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
What planeted do you live on and have you every travel on the surface to really see what there in the first place????

Where do you see the new yard going to be???
Of course it would never be aboveground through YU, but north of Steeles, there's plenty of room. Given that @syn was quoting HWY 407 station, I was referencing that part of the line.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course it would never be aboveground through YU, but north of Steeles, there's plenty of room. Given that @syn was quoting HWY 407 station, I was referencing that part of the line.
Ok.....but if you are underground up to PV station at Steeles.......how much saving would there have been going above ground for the last 2 stations? (And it is not clear to me that the best route from PV to 407 is above ground).

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
North of Steeles along the general ROW, it is fairly dense commercial/industrial use, as well as crossings of 407, CN, Hwy, arterial roads, etc. I just don't see it as any kind of open ground. Granted, some of this infill could have been prevented by land acquisition back during planning phases.
Although it is for 'the public good', expropriation is a fairly heavy handed approach to land use that, if used on a large scale, might send a chill to industrial/commercial investment. You could use the same argument for the Scarborough extension or DRL, it becomes a matter of how many lives and businesses you are willing to disrupt.
Given that it has to be done by land parcel, I could see it getting it getting convoluted if done on a large scale. As we have recently seen, governments using heavy handed tactics to achieve its ends isn't always popular.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ok.....but if you are underground up to PV station at Steeles.......how much saving would there have been going above ground for the last 2 stations? (And it is not clear to me that the best route from PV to 407 is above ground).
That's the question though, how much. We don't know. Maybe a bit, maybe a lot. It's also a high water table, which apparently was a surprise late into construction (but shouldn't have been to anyone that has the sense of vision to see a creek). Perhaps it wasn't as conducive to tunneling vs an alternative.

North of Steeles along the general ROW, it is fairly dense commercial/industrial use, as well as crossings of 407, CN, Hwy, arterial roads, etc. I just don't see it as any kind of open ground. Granted, some of this infill could have been prevented by land acquisition back during planning phases.
Although it is for 'the public good', expropriation is a fairly heavy handed approach to land use that, if used on a large scale, might send a chill to industrial/commercial investment. You could use the same argument for the Scarborough extension or DRL, it becomes a matter of how many lives and businesses you are willing to disrupt.
Given that it has to be done by land parcel, I could see it getting it getting convoluted if done on a large scale. As we have recently seen, governments using heavy handed tactics to achieve its ends isn't always popular.
Not sure if what's along Jane north of Steeles qualifies as fairly dense. Until a good bit north of 407 it's parkway, open space, or agricultural - i.e nothing there. Then a very wide arterial with commercial/industrial that have built structures well back from the road. Any expropriation should seemingly be minimal. These are large expansive properties, not exactly a built urban environment.