Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
But it is infuriating that a subway brought worst transit to York University for some riders.
I hope something can be worked out.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
But it is infuriating that a subway brought worst transit to York University for some riders.
I hope something can be worked out.
The reality of an extensive system with many lines that works for EVERYONE not just those going a particular place is that transfers are required.

Sandpit

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to a TTC Customer Service Agent, this was a unilateral move by YRT which took many at the TTC by surprise. Yes there is that "Binding Agreement", but that agreement presumes that there would be fare integration by now, and the TTC wasn't going to force them to withdraw service without fare integration in place (plus if you read the agreement, it only mentions "north-south routes" anyway). If he's right, this is something that YRT wants to do (for whatever reason) and they're just using the agreement as an excuse.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to a TTC Customer Service Agent, this was a unilateral move by YRT which took many at the TTC by surprise. Yes there is that "Binding Agreement", but that agreement presumes that there would be fare integration by now, and the TTC wasn't going to force them to withdraw service without fare integration in place (plus if you read the agreement, it only mentions "north-south routes" anyway). If he's right, this is something that YRT wants to do (for whatever reason) and they're just using the agreement as an excuse.
If what you're saying is correct, then it seems YRT wanted to reduce service. It's almost like they don't get enough funding to run more frequent and farther reaching service.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
What's the status on the U-Pass for York University students. U of T voted against it in March. Has any school approved it yet?

That would end this issue. And make it easier for GO to move most service to Highway 407 station.

I'm not sure how there's that much benefit for a lot of routes, trying to cross the bottleneck south of the 407.

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
Time for an anecdotal ridership account.

Took the extension today northbound at 1:30 in the afternoon. Stations between Sheppard West and YorkU were ghost towns, but most seats in the train taken by students. Big crowd disembarked at YorkU. Going southbound in the PM peak, ridership from the north was decent with an enormous crowd at YorkU. This station is an absolute Taj Mahal. But it won't have any problems with ridership, buzzing with students throughout the day.

It was really disappointing to see the water stains on the walls.

Also saw markings on the platform that looked like guidelines to line up with doors. Are these for ATC?

Sheppard West was bustling as well, somewhat busier than I remember it last year.

Last edited:

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score

TJ O'Pootertoot

Member Bio
Reaction score
I presume it's only because this is affecting students way at the City's edge that this isn't a big news story every day.
(i.e. if people trying to get to U of T and Queen's Park were being forced to get off at Dundas and walk, it would be.)

It's an utter failure of policy and everyone at York U, TTC, Metrolinx and YRT should be roasted for it. They had a decade, supplemented by a two-year construction delay, to work out something to avoid this precise issue which everyone could see coming a mile away. It's embarrassing, not just because of the specifics but because of what it says about the total inability of our transit agencies to function coherently for the riders they serve at a systemic level. People who live just north of Steeles have longed complained about the fare wall and you can see people parking their bikes and cars at Steeles to avoid paying it. You could stand at Yonge/Steeles and watch half-empty YRT buses live "TTC riders" standing at the stop waiting for a packed bus that's actually allowed to pick them up.

And now we've institutionalized and formalized this counter-productive, outdated system. It doesn't bode well for RER/SmartTrack, which is useless without integration, and while I don't think Doug Ford's uploading plan could possibly be done sensibly, at least someone is attempting to grab the bull by the horns. No one else seems to much care; and in an election year, no less. In the meantime, every day, 1,000s of riders suffer because of it.

That's my two cents, anyway.

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wish they would extend the artwork to the walls to give that Torontoesque feeling of pulling in to different consecutive stations.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
those look a bit like the lines on the platforms in Montreal......when started using the metro there semi-regularly it was one of the first things that struck me....how people waited for their trans on either side of those lines and how it automatically created space for people to leave trains before people started boarding.

aquateam

Member Bio
Reaction score
those look a bit like the lines on the platforms in Montreal......when started using the metro there semi-regularly it was one of the first things that struck me....how people waited for their trans on either side of those lines and how it automatically created space for people to leave trains before people started boarding.
Really? What struck me is how people would still block the door despite the presence of those markings.