Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another problem with Google Maps and TYSSE is that Maps is refusing to use the 84 and TYSSE to get to YorkU from my area (this would be the optimal route). Instead, it insists on using the Finch and Steeles buses. No matter how I play around with the departure time and route preferences, it just won't show the 84+TYSSE option. What the hell is going on?

EDIT: I entered "York University Station" as opposed to YorkU and it worked. For f*cks sakes.
Kind of related, this is what it show for Union Station to York University, it tells you to get off at Pioneer Village Station...
upload_2018-8-1_12-23-41.png

Attachments

Transportfan

Member Bio
Reaction score
it was a major selling point of the extension and presto that the york campus would no longer have to be a de facto bus terminal for regional buses. theoretically, york region users that would have taken a bus directly to york would take a bus to a station north of york u, use presto to get on the subway and tap back out at york u to have their "double fare" reimbursed.
Would the double fare elimination apply at all stations from York U to VMC? That would make sense for bus connections at the various stations (eg: a passenger boarding at VMC from YRT to transfer to GO at 407 or another YRT bus at PV). I assume there'd be a time limit for the deduction too.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
it was a major selling point of the extension and presto that the york campus would no longer have to be a de facto bus terminal for regional buses.
That part I remember....i just don't remember reading anything outside of these boards about that potentially leading to a double fare.

theoretically, york region users that would have taken a bus directly to york would take a bus to a station north of york u, use presto to get on the subway and tap back out at york u to have their "double fare" reimbursed.
York Region bus riders are not the only people getting potentially hit with a double fare......there are a lot of Zum501 riders that were facing this and, I suspect, this was the reason that BT did not get to realize some cost and route efficiency savings by having their buses terminate at either/both VMC or 407.....because the backlash from the thousands of York Students they transport every day would have been huge.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also worth noting that the extension is still fairly new, I'd assume Google monitors the route people look up vs. what they actually take (just look at your Google Maps timeline if you want to be scared you can see all the location history google has of you and its suprisingly accurate even when you are offline) if they notice big discrepancies I am sure they will resolve them.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Big week for the extension coming up....first Rogers Cup tennis tournament since it opened! Hopefully this will lead to some bi-directional off peak traffic for the line.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Big week for the extension coming up....first Rogers Cup tennis tournament since it opened! Hopefully this will lead to some bi-directional off peak traffic for the line.
I wonder how many people will get off at Sheppard west expecting to find a shuttle bus to get them there?

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder how many people will get off at Sheppard west expecting to find a shuttle bus to get them there?
Hadn’t thought of that.....I presume people going to an event at York University might apply logic and get off the subway at the station with the name York University....I hope some of them would check in advance and see that getting off at Pioneer Village is smarter.....never dawned on me they would get off st Shepard West.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
York Region Transit is pulling out of York University as of September 2.

They're telling their passengers that only five routes - Route 3 - Thornhill, Route 20 - Jane, Route 96 - Keele-Yonge, Route 107/107B - Keele, and Route 165/165F - Weston will serve the Pioneer Village Station, and you'll have to walk across Steeles and into the campus to avoid a double fare.

Viva purple will be cut back to the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal - they're told to transfer at Richmond Hill Centre to Viva Orange, and then transfer to a YRT bus or pay a TTC fare at VMC to get to campus.

It's a failure of the subway to actually make it easier to get to campus from York Region, a failure of York Region Transit, which is cutting back service (the Viva Purple, which used to go to campus), and regional transit coordination in general.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score

They're telling their passengers that only five routes - Route 3 - Thornhill, Route 20 - Jane, Route 96 - Keele-Yonge, Route 107/107B - Keele, and Route 165/165F - Weston will serve the Pioneer Village Station, and you'll have to walk across Steeles and into the campus to avoid a double fare.

Viva purple will be cut back to the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal - they're told to transfer at Richmond Hill Centre to Viva Orange, and then transfer to a YRT bus or pay a TTC fare at VMC to get to campus.

It's a failure of the subway to actually make it easier to get to campus from York Region, a failure of York Region Transit, which is cutting back service (the Viva Purple, which used to go to campus), and regional transit coordination in general.
York doesnt want busses on its campus. A fare integration agreement between yrt and ttc for the 4 subway stops from vmc to york u station should have long been worked out prior to the opening.

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

This is probably what BT/Zum should do too.

The southern entrance to the station is already on campus....so it is a pretty obvious place to take the buses to (assuming York wants them all off campus) and people have the choice of switching to the subway or walking under Steeles and onto campus.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
York doesnt want busses on its campus. A fare integration agreement between yrt and ttc for the 4 subway stops from vmc to york u station should have long been worked out prior to the opening.
This is probably what BT/Zum should do too.

The southern entrance to the station is already on campus....so it is a pretty obvious place to take the buses to (assuming York wants them all off campus) and people have the choice of switching to the subway or walking under Steeles and onto campus.
Now if only GO buses were moved to Highway 407 Station completely, but that mean people going to YorkU MUST pay a second fare to get on the subway. YRT on the other hand can just terminate that Pioneer Village Station Terminal instead, which is a (not insubstantial) walk away. A true buses-less York Commons would be a great place and less noise.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Now if only GO buses were moved to Highway 407 Station completely, but that mean people going to YorkU MUST pay a second fare to get on the subway. YRT on the other hand can just terminate that Pioneer Village Station Terminal instead, which is a (not insubstantial) walk away. A true buses-less York Commons would be a great place and less noise.
At least GO passengers will pay $1.50 instead of $3 each way using Presto. Not the case for YRT and/or Zum passengers (Brampton Transit hasn't announced what's going to happen yet).

Transportfan

Member Bio
Reaction score
They can't even do that, as there's no single concourse level at PV station.

PS: Did anyone go the tennis event to see the ridership at the station? I think it was this weekend.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
At least GO passengers will pay $1.50 instead of $3 each way using Presto. Not the case for YRT and/or Zum passengers (Brampton Transit hasn't announced what's going to happen yet).
Well, Vaughan's five wards could be merged as one ward in the City of Toronto, to get the bus routes into the same zone as Toronto. That should happen with the PC Premier after Ford.