Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Guys, given the constrained situation of the TTC budget, I don’t think we can afford to keep so many washrooms open. Close all of the low-usage washrooms, and redirect the funds to service improvements.

(Okay, I’m just rabblerousing)

Reactions: rbt
If I understand the Presto/fare strategy, there won't be any fare paid transfer platforms left. One will have to tap off the subway, and tap on the connecting surface vehicle.

- Paul

Last edited:
I stopped by Downsview Park station on the afternoon Saturday the 23rd to film some GO trains passing through without stopping.
Excellent timing to record the passing GO trains.
Unless I've missed the reference, the lack of a public toilet is for the TTC part of the station, and not the GO part? If there's a toilet lacking in the GO part, then there's a serious issue.

If I understand the Presto/fare strategy, there won't be any fare paid transfer platforms left. One will have to tap off the subway, and tap on the connecting surface vehicle.

- Paul
I still have questions as to how that will be practicably possible. Presto machines are still unreliable on streetcars and buses. What's going to happen when you "have to use the machine at the rear" or "use the machine at the front" when one goes down during peak use? It's going to be mayhem.

Someone really hasn't thought this through.

- Paul
I still have questions as to how that will be practicably possible. Presto machines are still unreliable on streetcars and buses. What's going to happen when you "have to use the machine at the rear" or "use the machine at the front" when one goes down during peak use? It's going to be mayhem.

Plus all necessary infrastructure needed to adjust the fare paid areas, and the fact that 2-hour transfers will now be a thing and really shouldn't require you to tap twice. You get to a station, the timer is still ticking, why tap again?

Agreed - having to tap when you get on the train seems like a huge step backwards.

The current system for getting on the subway is fine.

Agreed - having to tap when you get on the train seems like a huge step backwards.

Maybe like the "photo ID Presto Cards" idea, this will quietly melt away. When Presto can be read remotely w/o tapping, it might be workable, but then again, we're back to privacy issues, which may not matter to some, but are very important in this age of constant revelations of private info going astray.

It's ironic, as the TTC spent generations melding the flow of transferring at subways to be seamless and efficient. I haven't noticed much reference to the plan of late, so perhaps it *is* going to 'disappear'?

It would also have unintended consequences in terms of patrons no longer using the main entrance turnstiles, they could flood in on the service roadways into stations, still technically illegal, but no longer a case of fare evasion. Again, someone hasn't thought this through, they're so intoxicated with digitalis.

Reactions: syn

It's not just fine, it's the one aspect of our system that is better than anywhere else in the world.

It's not just fine, it's the one aspect of our system that is better than anywhere else in the world.

"Far better" is a gross exaggeration. Having to tap when you exit, then tap when you board the bus, is a minor inconvenience. It adds less than 5 seconds of effort to your day. And as you mentioned "anywhere else in the world"--exactly, it's much more common around the world to pay whenever entering a vehicle, fare paid zones are a bit of an oddity, it's much more logical to have a consistent, uniform, universal fare payment policy where you tap every time you enter/exit any station and where you tap every time you board any vehicle, period.

I was at Spadina Station earlier at the Walmer Street automated entrance. It is PRESTO only and when I was there none of the readers were working and most of the gates said out of service. Luckily there was a busted gate that people like myself who had metropasses could walk through.

If not for the busted gate (the paddles were stuck open), the entrance would have been useless for people trying to enter the station. It makes me wonder what will happen at the automated entrances on the extension.

I was at Spadina Station earlier at the Walmer Street automated entrance.
IIRC, that's one of the entrances that was blocked-off for installation of gates. They had minimum wage temp employees standing on the platforms to prevent passengers exiting there and at Bathurst and some other stations until the Presto units were installed.

And now they don't work or aren't yet operational, but they're allowing people through? (Or claiming to?). Maybe Presto needs Prestone Anti-Freeze? Or something for constipation?
If not for the busted gate (the paddles were stuck open), the entrance would have been useless for people trying to enter the station.
The station manager might have set that up to allow persons denied access, but with mobility challenges, to still get their ride. Collectors and staff have been pretty good at most stations knowing what a freakin' pain Presto implementation has been.

And the TTC wants to bitch about fare evaders? A good chunk of that is to provide the service that many people deserve but it's the system's own failings that means it's given free as a courtesy by staff who have a sense of right from wrong.

Last edited:
IIRC, that's one of the entrances that was blocked-off for installation of gates. They had minimum wage temp employees standing on the platforms to prevent passengers exiting there and at Bathurst and some other stations until the Presto units were installed.

And now they don't work or aren't yet operational, but they're allowing people through? (Or claiming to?). Maybe Presto needs Prestone Anti-Freeze?

You can exit through the gates at Walmer no problem. The green presto card readers are unresponsive when you try to enter however. I think this may be why the gate is stuck open...

The station manager might have set that up to allow persons denied access, but with mobility challenges, to still get their ride. Collectors and staff have been pretty good at most stations knowing what a freakin' pain Presto implementation has been.

Actually it was half a gate. It looked like someone forced their way in.

Back