Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Here we go again with the TTC messing with another art installation in a station:rolleyes:. Although I understand the concern, their should be a way to remedy the concerns they're having without blocking the whole system off.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/12/22/ttc-backtracks-on-500000-station-art-installation.html
It amazes me how much the TTC is struggling with this. Dealing with profanity on public services isn’t unique to the TTC at all. Thousands, if not tens of thousands of companies have to do similar filtering on their products. In fact, I would be shocked if there wasn’t already an online database/API to assist companies in filtering out profanity and offensive content from user submissions.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
It amazes me how much the TTC is struggling with this. Dealing with profanity on public services isn’t unique to the TTC at all. Thousands, if not tens of thousands of companies have to do similar filtering on their products. In fact, I would be shocked if there wasn’t already an online database/API to assist companies in filtering out profanity and offensive content from user submissions.
TTC isn't struggling with it. The artist commissioned to install it is struggling with it. TTC just has the requirement (now at least) that filtering be in place.

Sandpit

Member Bio
Reaction score
I suspect there's an unstated reason as well. If it breaks, who will fix it (and pay the bill)? Even if there's an agreement on that, how long will it take to fix? In the meantime, it will make the station seem dilapidated. Just look at Yorkdale station. It can't break if it's never turned on! (Not that I agree with this reasoning.)

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC isn't struggling with it. The artist commissioned to install it is struggling with it. TTC just has the requirement (now at least) that filtering be in place.
The artist received a healthy stipend for the work and should pull his or her head from their fundament. It is an honour to contribute a creative piece into the public realm and if they are struggling that much I am certain we can find someone else with another great idea to display.

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
My personal opinion regarding the artwork is that whoever decided on picking a European artist should've been aware of the cultural differences between here and Europe. One should obviously know that Europeans and the broader sense of European Culture are willing to push the boundaries of expression unlike uptight North Americans. The fact that the artist is also from Berlin also explains why they wouldn't have much problems with such controversial artwork (if you even consider this controversial).

It all boils down to: North Americans are overly political correct and too lawsuit-trigger friendly.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apparently I am in the wrong line of work. If one can make a half a million dollars from this kind of ‘artwork’....
I sympathise with the TTC though. Never mind hate speech - wait until the first time it is used to post something that takes a strong position on a controversial theme. There will be tweets, protests, pickets, perhaps even injunctions. And media attention. The TTC does not need the distraction nor should it tie up resources (or riders, in the event of a sit in etc).
This thing was just ill conceived and should be removed. The TTC doesn’t look good for having let it happen, but that is spilled milk. Just kill it.

- Paul

howdy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Weird but seems like the train always stops then restarts inside the tunnel section that leads to/exits from Sheppard West for some reason.

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
If the TTC wants to play it safe, they can always program the artwork to scroll through all their by-laws and be done with it. That would be the safest choice at this point.

Ozman

Member Bio
Reaction score
Weird but seems like the train always stops then restarts inside the tunnel section that leads to/exits from Sheppard West for some reason.
If you're talking about SOUTH of Sheppard West, it's where the ATC gets turned on (northbound) or where the ATC gets turned off and the operator takes full control (southbound). The trains stop momentarily both ways for the switch-over.

Transportfan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I guess that explains why the trains still run so slow starting at St. Clair W. Before the extension opened I thought it was because of backlogging approaching the end of the line.

kotsy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm showing up with my gabber and speedcore.....wake people right up for their morning commute. Don't knock it, it's a lot better than "Mein Kampf in lights".
ha! Gabber is my go to joke genre too. I enjoy almost every sub-style of electronic music but that one is just too much for me.

Canadian Chocho

Member Bio
Reaction score
My personal opinion regarding the artwork is that whoever decided on picking a European artist should've been aware of the cultural differences between here and Europe. One should obviously know that Europeans and the broader sense of European Culture are willing to push the boundaries of expression unlike uptight North Americans. The fact that the artist is also from Berlin also explains why they wouldn't have much problems with such controversial artwork (if you even consider this controversial).

It all boils down to: North Americans are overly political correct and too lawsuit-trigger friendly.
And yet the artist is excused from not being sensitive to the public/culture that will ultimately be exposed to the work on a daily basis? Get over yourself, a commission is a commission.

Also the Uptight North American vs. Expressive European is a silly binary argument, especially when it comes to Art. Funnily enough there was a time when they all flocked over here because people were too entrenched into their traditions back home and thought (mistakenly) we presented a blank slate.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
VMC and York University = highly trafficked successes

Pioneer Village and Finch West = Just ok

Hwy 407 and Downsview Park = Omg! The GO Transit connections better come online soon or else we've got duds on our hands
Once again. Some leaping to conclusions after six days....

But taking the comments below in three groups, some thoughts thereupon.

1. Outperforms. But we don't have optimal conditions for ridership yet. A good thing can be better.
i) VMC - YRT bus terminal not finished yet.
ii) York U is on Christmas break - let's see what it looks like when everyone is back at school. Let's also take another look next September when - for example - someone living in the city can say - would I rather take the subway to UofT St George campus, or subway to Ryerson U, or subway to York U ? Now the choices are apples-to-apples. Faced with a long bus ride, I'd have gone to Ryerson or UofT any day. I'd have written York off. I always considered it in the middle of nowhere. We're all going to have to change our attitudes about this because it ain't in the middle of nowhere any longer.

2. Average.
i) Pioneer Village. Let everyone get used to this. It's a huge bus terminus. Again, school's out.
ii) Finch West. Sub-optimal conditions. Can't wait to see another interchange station on the growing network in the city. When the FWLRT is funneling riders both ways through this station, I doubt anyone will have to worry about it. Mark this - check in 2022. Argh - to the date at least.

3. Needs Improvement..
i) Hwy 407 - connections in GO's court. TBD. Could be a Jane LRT terminus. Shovels in the ground everyone.
ii) Downsview Park- GO Station open December 30. Great. Barrie AD2W coming... Remember everyone. If you thought nothing of taking the train to Union to your downtown job. Why shouldn't you be able to take the train to Downsview, go down to Cedarvale and then arrive at your midtown job? I think this opens a world of possibilities as the GO network deposits people in only (mostly if we are going to quibble about Danforth and Kipling) one location (downtown) up until now.

In March, I will have been reading the threads here for two years. Allow me one paragraph. We need to gain some rapid transit momentum here. With zero additional meaningful transit options for two generations (call that 30 years - if you grow up with it, and take it through high school the pattern is set), the car has been the only practical choice for much getting around.

The logjam has been broken - 8.6 km of subway helps. Nineteen km of Eglinton helps more. The concept of a network needs to be built out - and the populace has to see it in practice. Although there has been a subway for 60 years, there has been little more than a rudimentary hub and spoke structure. The very first meaningful network piece is Eglinton. The integration of GO to the TTC with a co-fare in 2018 is huge. As is the coming ability to access GO rail in a place other than Union station - nowithstanding Danforth and Kipling which never really registered for me. Bring on Mount Dennis and Caledonia.

I think I wrote the preceding paragraphs because on its own the Spadina subway may not be considered much by some. But linked into a much stronger rapid transit and regional rail network, all of the baloney about 'failure' and 'subway to nowhere' can probably be done away with. The focus on building out the rest of the network needs to remain strong, and the timelines need to accelerate or another generation will view the car as a (the) primary transit choice when it is but one.

Last edited:

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
We need to gain some rapid transit momentum here.
Agreed. Let's make the 2020s and 2030s decades we look back on with fondness like we do the 60s and 70s with respect to transit expansion.