Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

1, 2, 3, 4, etc. would be readable by most people who don't read the Latin or English alphabet.

Well, strictly speaking if the lines were numbered using the Latin alphabet, we'd have Line I, Line II, Line III and Line IV.

The bus and streetcar map would be really impressive looking: "Transfer at Royal York to bus routes XV, LXXIII and LXXVI".

Well, strictly speaking if the lines were numbered using the Latin alphabet, we'd have Line I, Line II, Line III and Line IV.

The bus and streetcar map would be really impressive looking: "Transfer at Royal York to bus routes XV, LXXIII and LXXVI".

True Roman transit for True Romans!

It's great the Star actually sent a reporter up to cover YR council, yesterday since they're on the hook for nearly as much as Toronto, which has gotten 95% of the coverage. They're not the only taxpayers in the GTA.

don't know if it was posted earlier but the YR council report is here:
http://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect/...4-b089-b6a76d5c1608/CAO+rpt+1.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

It's obviously similar to the TTC report but a bit more readable and with a different spin.

And Toronto will pay up as well. There is no way either government can say no this far into the project.

Oh, for sure. It's not that it's surprising but all the coverage has focused on TORONTO and as a York Region taxpayer it was nice to see the mainstream media acknowledge that TTC's mess won't leave just Toronto residents on the hook. Whether YR is taking more debt, putting it on the property tax bill etc. is significant too, for 1 million people. It seems logical to me, given that the subway goes to Vaughan, for one reporter, at some point, to ask the Vaughan mayor for a quote, and I've seen pretty much none of that. Hence, I appreciate the Star venturing north.

(That said, they posted an online article about the YR council meeting but it looks like the 'final'/print version is 95% about Toronto with a pasted paragraph about York at the end. Sigh.)

The Toronto Star pays taxes in Vaughan (considering their pressing plant is there) so they should have an interest.

:)

Good point! By 2025 (give or take!) they'll be able to leave One Yonge, zip on the subway up to the 407 Transitway station and jet over to the plant in no time at all!

Well, by 2035 anyway.

(They have some subscribers up there too, I'm guessing...)

Oh, for sure. It's not that it's surprising but all the coverage has focused on TORONTO and as a York Region taxpayer it was nice to see the mainstream media acknowledge that TTC's mess won't leave just Toronto residents on the hook. Whether YR is taking more debt, putting it on the property tax bill etc. is significant too, for 1 million people. It seems logical to me, given that the subway goes to Vaughan, for one reporter, at some point, to ask the Vaughan mayor for a quote, and I've seen pretty much none of that. Hence, I appreciate the Star venturing north.

(That said, they posted an online article about the YR council meeting but it looks like the 'final'/print version is 95% about Toronto with a pasted paragraph about York at the end. Sigh.)

I don't have any sympathy for York Region :)

I don't have any sympathy for York Region :)

Chacun son gout. They're paying their share and it's not their transit commission that screwed up the construction in what appears to be every possible way, however. Anyway, you don't have to have a sympathy for an entire municipality but it seems only fair to acknowledge that, despite it being primarily Toronto's screw-up, they're not the only ones footing the bill as a result. And just wait until the $ request makes its way up to the province and feds. I'm sure taxpayers in Alberta will be just thrilled to pony up another $50M or whatever to cover TTC's incompetent capital works program. Toronto doesn't exist in a bubble is my point, I guess.

Good point! By 2025 (give or take!) they'll be able to leave One Yonge, zip on the subway up to the 407 Transitway station and jet over to the plant in no time at all!
Ah, so that's where the printing plant is, in Vaughan.

Hmm ... the edge of their building is about 1 km due east from the edge of the Highway 407 station parking lot - a 12-minute walk if there was a pathway. But a 3.6 km 44-minute walk with what's there now. This is why transit doesn't work as well in suburbia. Even by car it's a 7-minute drive - 12-minutes in current traffic!

Chacun son gout. They're paying their share and it's not their transit commission that screwed up the construction in what appears to be every possible way, however. Anyway, you don't have to have a sympathy for an entire municipality but it seems only fair to acknowledge that, despite it being primarily Toronto's screw-up, they're not the only ones footing the bill as a result. And just wait until the $ request makes its way up to the province and feds. I'm sure taxpayers in Alberta will be just thrilled to pony up another $50M or whatever to cover TTC's incompetent capital works program. Toronto doesn't exist in a bubble is my point, I guess.

If Alberta's taxpayers are annoyed, it's not because of Ontario. And it's definitely not because of Toronto.

Back