News   Jun 26, 2024
 160     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on this.

Why are the streetcar tracks being ripped up on Spadina transit right of way?

Today they're ripping up the entire intersection of Queen & Spadina.

What was wrong with the existing tracks? How long will the new ones last and what's better about them?

There should be notices posted throughout your building about it. The tracks, platforms, and overhead wires are all being replaced to prepare Spadina for the new LRT vehicles coming next year. Work will have Spadina closed (Streetcars replaced by buses) until November, and Queen/Spadina will be closed for 2 weeks.

The tracks on Spadina are among the oldest in the system, so its basically just bringing Spadina in line with the rest of the system.

The tracks on Spadina are among the oldest in the system, so its basically just bringing Spadina in line with the rest of the system.

The oldest? They were only built in 1997. And I doubt they replaced all the other tracks around the city since then.

Curious, what has to be 'upgraded' specifically to accomodate the new streetcars? I assume the track width is the same and the way they connect to the wire above is the same so what else needs to be different?

Curious, what has to be 'upgraded' specifically to accomodate the new streetcars? I assume the track width is the same and the way they connect to the wire above is the same so what else needs to be different?
This is incorrect.

The existing streetcars use a trolley pole, the new streetcars will use pantograph.
A wire can be built to support both, but most of the legacy network cannot currently handle pantograph.

The Bombardier legacy streetcars are about twice the length of the current CLRV streetcars, lengths may have to be adjusted. As well, the current platforms are too low, they wish to make them almost level with the doorways so that entry and exit will be easier. Also, the operators will not be doing the fare collection. Passengers would either have to use Presto machines to validate their fares, either on-board or on the platforms.

The Bombardier legacy streetcars are about twice the length of the current CLRV streetcars, lengths may have to be adjusted. As well, the current platforms are too low, they wish to make them almost level with the doorways so that entry and exit will be easier. Also, the operators will not be doing the fare collection. Passengers would either have to use Presto machines to validate their fares, either on-board or on the platforms.

Are any platforms being moved, eliminated, or added? I'm thinking specifically around the King-Adelaide-Richmond-Queen area. The stop spacing in there seems to be really short. Going northbound now, there's a stop on the south side of Richmond and on the north side of Queen. Why not combine them into a single block-long stop between Richmond and Queen?

Does anyone have any reports on what the re-designed ROW will look like (specifically showing new station locations)?

Are any platforms being moved, eliminated, or added? I'm thinking specifically around the King-Adelaide-Richmond-Queen area. The stop spacing in there seems to be really short. Going northbound now, there's a stop on the south side of Richmond and on the north side of Queen. Why not combine them into a single block-long stop between Richmond and Queen?

Does anyone have any reports on what the re-designed ROW will look like (specifically showing new station locations)?

http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisorie...a_Streetcar_Right-of-Way_Platform_Islands.jsp

Beginning on Monday, June 18, 2012 the TTC will carry out modifications to the streetcar passenger platform islands on the Spadina Streetcar line. The modifications are required to meet accessibility standards for the new low-floor streetcars that the TTC will be acquiring. The modifications will include: length, slope and elevation adjustments, inclusion of way-finding treatment, extension of some railings, reinforcement of some shelters and the relocation of some platform furniture, i.e. stop pole, shelter sections and removal of trees to ensure unobstructed access.

Under this contract, 14 of the 25 platforms on the Spadina R-O-W will be modified; Harbord Street, College Street, Nassau Street, Dundas Street, Sullivan Street, King Street and Spadina Loop. A total of 24 trees will be removed and each tree will be replaced with three trees in the city, in accordance with the City of Toronto tree program. The remaining 11 platforms will be modified under separate track projects.

TTC said:
Traffic Restrictions
While the majority of the work will be carried out on the streetcar right-of-way, there will be times when traffic will be reduced to one lane to accommodate work to the back side of the transit shelters.

Can't wait till they reduce Spadina to two lanes southbound at rush hour. It's going to be backed up to College! :D

Also, haven't most TTC users said the new shelters are awful? Just big fancy modern sections of glass that don't keep wind or rain out at all. Has the TTC modified the design at all for Spadina or will they just keep installing a design that looks nice but does nothing for its passengers.

The oldest? They were only built in 1997. And I doubt they replaced all the other tracks around the city since then.
I don't believe that most of the tracks on Spadina were being replaced. I thought it was just a couple of problem areas, particularly in the north, some of the older track south of Lakeshore, and the Queen/Spadina intersection.

Or did they get smart, and decide it's worth doing it all now, rather than waiting for it to hit it's 20-25 year lifespan in 2017 to 2022 ...

does anyone know if the other major intersections (king/spadina and dundas/spadina) are going to require such a shutdown as well?

Watching Global News tonight and they reported that businesses are being "DEVASTATED" by the construction at Queen and Spadina.

Really? Devastated after just 12 hours of work? Gimme a break. I think they'll survive the 14 days this is going to take.

They also talked to a bunch of motorists who were "FED UP!" with the closure? Really? They're had it after just 12 hours?

People make me laugh.

Can't wait till they reduce Spadina to two lanes southbound at rush hour. It's going to be backed up to College! :D

It might not make much of a difference.

Most of the backup is from Gardiner and not a capacity restriction on Spadina. The same number of cars will be able to get onto Gardiner from Spadina as could before.

Back