News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Spacing's P.S.I. Film Night @ The Drake Undergound (Feb. 28)

D

Darkstar416

I don't think this has been posted yet...it's this year's installment of Spacing's annual Public Space Invaders film night at the Drake Underground. A bunch of us from UT went last year and had a fabulous time. Here are this year's details...

filmnight-2006.jpg

I'm sure Shawn Micallef will be commenting on the films to be shown soon enough!

Re: Spacing's P.S.I. Film Night @ The Drake Undergound (Feb.

So, i have a bunch of little films folks have done about Toronto - some cute and wonderful shorts. A walk through parkdale. Kensington sped-up.

But forum people will be particularly interested in an old "progress report" film i have have of TTC construction just before the subway opened. wonderful ariel views going up Yonge St. looking at the old cars. brand new stations. etc.

and a time-lapse film from 1986 of the University line from wilson to union with great Tron-like music done by transit guru Steve Munroe.

AND most rare, a 1958 program showing the city hall design competition, and the newly announced winning model. revell is there, so is the jury, and they talk about why they picked this model. so much old school toronto. ends with "all the models will be on view on the 7th floor of the college Eatons store for xxx days"....

c'est beau.

last year we sold out and were way way over capacity -- we're a little more organzied this year (i though tlike 30 people would show up), so come right at 7 if you want a seat.

AND most rare, a 1958 program showing the city hall design competition, and the newly announced winning model. revell is there, so is the jury, and they talk about why they picked this model. so much old school toronto. ends with "all the models will be on view on the 7th floor of the college Eatons store for xxx days"....

Would this be the one that was part of last year's Dominion Modern "Mean City" exhibition? (Or a different one?)

I think that one was with Parkin and on Terminal 1 wasn't it -- the one that was looping in the gallery?

This is somewhat similar, but on City Hall. They look at many of the other models.

Oh yeah, you're right.

Somehow, I *seem* to recall seeing a City Hall thing, whether at one of the Dominion Modern shows or as part of the 40th anniversary festivities, I don't know...

Shawn - is there any chance of a repeat screening? The 28th is the same night as John Sewell's last talk just down the street at the Gladstone, and as I've made it to the 3 previous talks, I cannot miss the stirring conclusion!

I know we must make choices in life, but some seem crueler than others...

We'll do the night again -- but not with these films. So yeah, one-night-only. Choices choices.

So, tomorrow night -- a wide range of things. Here's the lineup:

The Big Adventure -- TTC Timelapse 3 min
Birdmap by Sally McKay 1 min
Rick Goes to Critical Mass by Tino 10min
Parasite by Moving Canvass 3 min
Urban Exploration 2 by Ninjalicious 2min
A ride on the TTC. By Trevor Homeniuk & Nicole Stoffman 3min
"A New Canadian Landmark" - CBC Explorations 1958 30 min
James O'Reilley in Parkdale by Alex Pugsley 9 min
VideoBlogs by Lucas Blakk 4 min
Kensington Organic by Caroline Ross 2 min
That's the way the rhubarb crumbles by Sean Learner 1 min
Crisanne: Toronto's longest escalator by Sean Learner 3 min
The City Repair Project -- Transforming Space into Place 14 min
TTC Progress Report from1958 20 min

How was the event? Attendence?

Very cool night. Attendance was good...standing-room-only.
Good assortement of movies.

Like often happens after attending one of these events, you spend the rest of the night wishing for Toronto to return to a time of proper funding.

I think it went pretty good -- full house and people seemed engaged till the end, and laughed at the appropriate moments at old toronto the good.

I went and just wanted to say I really enjoyed it...especially the vintage films (I had a Mystery Science Theatre 3000-style commentary running through my head during the TTC film). Looking forward to the next one...meanwhile, I'm off to check out Crisanne...

And we thought we were the only UT'ers in the house.

Welcome aboard jbcurio!

Back