1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Southbound Subway Slow Approaching Davisville

Chris84

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question.

I only use this part of the subway occasionally and usually in the evening.
Southbound trains slow to a crawl as they approach Davisville.
Anyone know why?
Is this problem being worked on?

i ride the train everyday and i've noticed the same thing. i always wanted to ask this question because this hasn't been like that before.

i ride the train everyday and i've noticed the same thing. i always wanted to ask this question because this hasn't been like that before.

Could be a work crew at track level. I know they have been repairing part of the retaining at the north end of Davisville Yard, just as you exit the tunnel coming southbound.

Could be a work crew at track level. I know they have been repairing part of the retaining at the north end of Davisville Yard, just as you exit the tunnel coming southbound.
i thought it was work crews as well, but this is during anytime of the day whether it be 7am, 10am, 1pm, 8pm.

and don't trains usually slow down no matter what side the work crews are on? i can recall many instances where there were crews on the NB and the SB train still slowed down.

I believe they've been doing work on the track switches leading into Davisville Yard so they have to have lower speeds going over it until repair/replacement work is complete. The retaining wall and bridge work is complete, IIRC.

I find it kinda cool that they've started illuminating the covered section of the open cut between St Clair and Summerhill towards the outside.. you get to see the structures and old bridges very clearly now.

Switches

I think the switches must be it, 299. I've never seen work actually being done here, but there must be a very low speed limit always in effect. Some drivers accelerate again just as they pull into the station.
It seems odd, on the busiest subway line, that this problem isn't fixed promptly. In my estimation this has been going on for many, many months.

If you notice carefully, the trains wobble a lot more going over these switches... there's three of them along that section, iirc, so it probably will take time to replace them... they're probably replacing the trackbed as well..

Davisville is one of the only, if not the only subway station with three platforms. If the problem is related to switches on the southbound tracks, why would the TTC not just reroute southbound trains to the third platform? That would give workers 24 hours a day work on the southbound tracks.

With respect to the tunnel between St. Clair and Summerhill, the recent changes have to do with the fact that tunnel repairs are being carried out. You'll see this walking along either Rosehill or Jackes.

I believe they've been doing work on the track switches leading into Davisville Yard so they have to have lower speeds going over it until repair/replacement work is complete. The retaining wall and bridge work is complete, IIRC.

I find it kinda cool that they've started illuminating the covered section of the open cut between St Clair and Summerhill towards the outside.. you get to see the structures and old bridges very clearly now.
i find the lights give a great effect to the usual boring ride in to or out of downtown. it makes me want to explore that space on foot.

I'm not sure of the reason but I have another observation. Travelling northbound at the front of a car at Davisville, I noticed that an approaching southbound train was listing heavily into the left turn (the train's left, my right). I know that the TTC sometimes banks its tracks on sharper turns but this was really low. Perhaps the tracks have sunk because I've never seen a subway lean that far in, it was really spectacular!

you definitely feel that lean to the left as it approaches the southbound platform.

smuncky, you gotta "FEEEEEEL THE LEAN!"

B0000541WK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Travelling northbound at the front of a car at Davisville, I noticed that an approaching southbound train was listing heavily into the left turn (the train's left, my right).

FYI the technical term for banked curves is "superelevation", and it's completely normal. I wouldn't worry about the tracks settling either. If they were settling, it would increase the possibility of a derailment, therefore immediate track repairs would be carried out.

Problem to be fixed this year

I just read Steve Munro's reply to a comment on his website.

Steve says:
"Replacement of the special work north of Davisville is in the 2008 Capital plan. I agree that this is a ridiculously long time for a slow order on a major route. This is the sort of thing that will do in any attempt to increase capacity by running more frequent service."

Back