News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 724     0 

Soufi's to close after receiving death threats

Fresco

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know whats going on here?? Were they threatened by right-wing extremists, or some other group??

Restaurant founded by Syrian refugee family closes amid allegations of death threats
A Toronto restaurant founded by a Syrian family showcased in the media as a success story of Canada’s refugee resettlement program has closed down after the owners said they received death threats and hate messages.

Soufi’s was founded by Husam and Shahnaz Al-Soufi, who came to Canada after they and their three children were sponsored by a community group in 2015. The family opened the Queen’s St. W.-Palmerston Ave. restaurant and café two years later, touting its Middle Eastern food as a culinary offering “from Syria with love.”

“As a result of numerous hate messages & death threats we have received over the past week, we’ve decided to permanently close our shop. Our decision is made with a heavy heart in (an) effort to maintain our family and staff’s safety,” said a note posted on the restaurant’s website on Tuesday.

“Since we opened up Soufi’s in 2017, we have been met with nothing but curiosity, respect, acceptance and love from the people of Toronto, and for that we are eternally grateful. We will cherish the countless memories of us sharing stories, food, music and laughter.”

Soufi’s was among the eateries profiled in a New York Times story last year showcasing the budding Syrian culinary scene in Greater Toronto.

On their post on the restaurant’s website, the Al-Soufi family also said, “Please know that we do not wish to conceal the events that led to these threats, and wish to address the statements shared by the alt-right media in the near future, once it’s safe for us to do so.”

Sounds like the owner’s adult son is a sh#t disturber and was caught on video preventing two old seniors from attending a People's Party of Canada event. The son has tried to backpedal now, claiming he thought he was going to an anti-terrorist rally, whatever that means.

As an immigrant myself, I’m left asking, what kind of bastard comes to Canada, dons a mask and then verbally attacks seniors trying to attend an event during an election? How about instead you show some gratitude for the country that took you in, and look around at how peaceful Canada is, and drop the radical BS.

Sounds like the owner’s adult son is a sh#t disturber and was caught on video preventing two old seniors from attending a People's Party of Canada event. The son has tried to backpedal now, claiming he thought he was going to an anti-terrorist rally, whatever that means.

As an immigrant myself, I’m left asking, what kind of bastard comes to Canada, dons a mask and then verbally attacks seniors trying to attend an event during an election? How about instead you show some gratitude for the country that took you in, and look around at how peaceful Canada is, and drop the radical BS.

I believe some of the seniors in question have stated he didn't do anything wrong.

I believe some of the seniors in question have stated he didn't do anything wrong.
You'd be hard pressed to find any Canadian seniors who would have complained. They never want to make a fuss and are generally very forgiving. All very good attributes we should all follow, but not a good measure of what occurred. Thankfully, the video speaks for itself, two seniors trying to cross a road to enter an event and four masked thugs blocking their way. I've never understood the need for a mask when protesting in Canada, what are you afraid of?

Hopefully this will blow over and the restaurant can carry on. If I were the owners I would tell my hot-headed son that he's bad for the business, and to find work elsewhere. The public's ire is with the son, and unfairly targeted his parent's business, and is as irrational as hating any condo made by the Pemberton Group because of Marco Muzzo. The reviews look good, https://www.yelp.ca/biz/soufis-toronto-2 I'll have to go and try some Syrian food now.

Last edited:

Why don't you just come out and admit that you are a racist white supremacist.

Would make it easier for everyone.

Soufi's making the international headlines:

One of the protesters, wearing a black ski-mask and orange T-shirt, was identified as Alaa Al-Soufi – the son of the restaurant owners. He does not join in the abuse but can seen standing in Marston’s path.

Supporters of Bernier “doxxed” Alaa, releasing his personal information online – and his family’s restaurant became the target of a wave of hate messages.

The family said in a statement earlier this week that Alaa “did not in any way verbally or physically assault the elderly woman and has nonetheless offered to apologize personally for not doing more”.

By then, however, the posts about the family, including the address and telephone numbers, were being widely shared on far-right and anti-immigrant Facebook groups.

On Tuesday, the family announced that they were permanently closing their business, adding: “The magnitude of hate we are facing is overwhelming.”

The Syrian Canadian Foundation, where Alaa had volunteered, was also targeted with “violent and disgusting” hate mail, said Khatib.

But the family’s plight also prompted an outpouring of support, and on Thursday they announced the would reopen.

Like I said earlier, the owners of the restaurant have to sit down their son and say, "we love you, but you're bad for business. Go find yourself another job."

Son of Soufi's restaurant owner is one of three charged over protest outside PPC event in Hamilton

Back