News   Apr 23, 2024
 14     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 533     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 397     0 

Someone told be this site was called UrbanToronto. Well, they lied

Come on, Pickering and Mississauga surely are not valid with the definition of Urban Toronto. This forum is not about urban growth in Ontario, but about urban Toronto.

I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, Pickering and Mississauga both border the City of Toronto, are part of continuous lived zones with their cross-border counterparts, and are integrated in every way into a urban region that includes them. Hence the, um, "GTA".

On the other hand, the Big Macs! The SUVs! For the love of Mike, big boxes!

Well start threads on those topics. The fact that others do not suggests that others are not interested, but if you are, go ahead.

I think my comment was misunderstood. I understand there aren't as many threads on projects outside of the downtown core (compared to downtown), and I wanted to throw my support that there are people who care and want to find more information on these projects. I hope that in time, more people will care (not to downplay the current forumers who do contribute) and that more people, including me, will start more threads and further the discussion.

Come on, Pickering and Mississauga surely are not valid with the definition of Urban Toronto. This forum is not about urban growth in Ontario, but about urban Toronto.

Reading threads on development like Absolute and Mississauga City Hall does provide 'urban' type developments that contribute to the 'Greater Toronto Area' discussion. I agree with you in that if we define 'Urban Toronto' as only within the City limits (or even only within the 'urban' core of Toronto), then yes, Pickering and Mississauga would not be within it.

I think the difference between urban and suburban is like the diffference between man and woman.

As I suggested, the word "urban" can also include the suburbs. The word "man" is the same way. It can refer to men as a gender. Or it can refer to the human race overall, which does include women as well, even if at times we as men cannot understand them and they seem like a different species.

Imagine if the title of the movie Children of Men only refered to "Men" as a gender only. How do men conceive a child without women? If that was the case, the movie would have been a lot more like that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, and it would be very different, you might agree.

I think all built-up areas in the GTA can be considered to be part of "urban Toronto." All parts of urban Toronto have some urban quality, but some areas have less urban qualities than others, hence the term suburban. Does anyone here truly believe that Mississauga or Pickering is completely devoid of any urban qualities? Do you truly believe that Mississauga and Pickering are completely devoid of any resemblence of high density, transit, mixed use developments, pedestrians, or whatever other quality you associate truly urban places? If so, I think that is very ignorant.

^ Isn't the majority of Toronto urban? Even in Scarborough, the majority in most wards tend to live in medium or high rise buildings. Take Ward 43, roughly 42% of the dwellings in East Scarborough live in high rise buildings, while 37% live in detached homes. Keep in mind that we're talking about dwellings so it's likely that much larger families inhabit apartments.

How is that suburban? I've been to many cities and lived in a suburb within 5km of the CBD, and I've only seen a token number of high rise buildings. I am pretty sure the vast majority of housing stock is detached, with medium density dwellings like rowhouses being somewhat more common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a shame, despite how he come across he was often hilarious and made many good points. I miss the old UT from the Ezboard days, the mods weren't nearly as strict and they didn't have to be. I also hate the fact that I lost my post count and no attempt was made to carry it over, I stopped posting here for a long while after that... just random venting lol

wonderboy:

Actually he was banned during the ezboard days - and my understanding was that he got himself banned from SSP/SSC as well. Remember also that UT was a lot smaller then.

AoD

^ Isn't the majority of Toronto urban? Even in Scarborough, the majority in most wards tend to live in medium or high rise buildings. Take Ward 43, roughly 42% of the dwellings in East Scarborough live in high rise uildings, while 37% live in detached homes. Keep in mind that we're talking about dwellings so it's likely that much larger families inhabit apartments.

How is that suburban? I've been to many cities and lived in a suburb within 5km of the CBD, and I've only seen a token number of high rise buildings. I am pretty sure the vast majority of housing stock is detached, with medium density dwellings like rowhouses being somewhat more common.

Density does not define suburban.

I'd say the biggest factor is separation of land use. Suburbia came about when somebody decided that commercial and residential uses could not share the same area.

Density does not define suburban.

I'd say the biggest factor is separation of land use. Suburbia came about when somebody decided that commercial and residential uses could not share the same area.

So the Financial District is suburban? Right...

Is the financial district a single use land? It has offices, restaurants, residential, retail, and hotels. Sometimes all of this within one building.

By which alias should I address you...

HELLYEAH
Jays753
RVD420
Jobber
ScarboroughCity233
We've Cena Nuff

??

Don't bother replying - you won't be able to. And don't even think about sending out threatening messages to any of the mods - if you do, prepare to hear from your ISP.

AoD

What I find interesting is that Jays753 was one of those pseudonyms--didn't twig onto the fact that he was the one offering the asinine notion of wiping the name "Scarborough" off the map simply because Scarborough's been mega-amalgamated, i.e. renaming Scarborough Town Centre "Toronto Town Centre", etc...

Is the financial district a single use land? It has offices, restaurants, residential, retail, and hotels. Sometimes all of this within one building.

Very little residential. Mostly commercial.

The fact is, you can find plenty single use land use all over downtown Toronto. Walk down any side street and you will find plenty residential-only land uses.

To have lots of mixed uses everywhere would require very high density. Downtown Toronto does have more mixed land uses than the suburbs, but it is only able to support such uses because it has higher density.

But according to you, high density has nothing to do with urban.

Back