News   Apr 19, 2024
 383     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 708     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

Some GTA Aerials by Tim MacDonald (Covid19 induced Boredom)

There is so much traffic that moves through that intersection it was a complete disaster when lanes were reduced for paving last summer.
How many lanes were blocked? If it was all the east/westbound lanes simultaneously, not surprising. I would have one through lane, one left turn and the right turn lane removed.

Keep in mind that the traffic flow in my photo is quite deceiving. It was taken off peak between Christmas and New Years when schools, universities and many workplaces were shut down or operating on reduced staffing for the Christmas break.

The two left turn lanes now (particularly Northbound erin mills to west Eglinton) you can't make it through on one light cycle certain times of the day.

Let's look at the area from the QEW to Eglinton. What are your north/southbound alternates? There's Mississauga road 4 clicks east. It is single lane. From north of Dundas to Burnhamthorpe it becomes unusable in that 330 to 530 period when UTM is in session because that traffic doesn't take the collegeway to EMP; it all goes North on Mississauga road.

Hurontario is 6 clicks east. Two lanes. Go west to Winston Churchill and it is two lanes. Heck, even the 403 northbound/southbound is only two lanes through that area. Erin Mills Parkway is a regional road and all three lanes are needed.

I moved to the area 8 years ago and there were times I wanted to take public transit to my work in Port Credit so my wife could have the car. It couldn't be done in a functional, productive manner. By car it is 19 minutes. Public transit was 67.That Delta is insane. Even by bicycle it was faster.

I'm sorry but removing traffic lanes in the area, particularly with all the condo construction on Eglinton is pure madness.

Watching these places densify is fascinating but its all for nought if they stop there. Once the density is there, you build a wall of shops, restaurants, cultural destinations, amenities, etc. along these absurdly wide thoroughfares to service the larger population. Surely the last phase of urbanization will be turning these 'highways' into proper city streets with sidewalks people want to stroll along? 15-25 foot wide sidewalks made of quality pavers, heavy landscaping, etc. (No concrete)

Lane reductions on their own is a recipe for disaster. You have to build COMFORTABLE, RELIABLE, FAST PT: subways, LRT, bike lanes, etc. before you take the lanes out. Getting back to my initial point, if all we're doing is buildings tall buildings this whole exercise is a colossal failure. Surely building density is a means to an end? Surely this is not to create more customers for malls and big box outlets? It's to build populations who can walk to the store, cafe, school, work, etc. Or at the worst, its a 10 minute LRT trip.

Last edited:
Stonebrook 2
DJI_0151.JPG

Port Credit's Brightwater through the mist - December 31st 2021.
DJI_0172e.jpg

Keep in mind that the traffic flow in my photo is quite deceiving. It was taken off peak between Christmas and New Years when schools, universities and many workplaces were shut down or operating on reduced staffing for the Christmas break.

The two left turn lanes now (particularly Northbound erin mills to west Eglinton) you can't make it through on one light cycle certain times of the day.

Let's look at the area from the QEW to Eglinton. What are your north/southbound alternates? There's Mississauga road 4 clicks east. It is single lane. From north of Dundas to Burnhamthorpe it becomes unusable in that 330 to 530 period when UTM is in session because that traffic doesn't take the collegeway to EMP; it all goes North on Mississauga road.

Hurontario is 6 clicks east. Two lanes. Go west to Winston Churchill and it is two lanes. Heck, even the 403 northbound/southbound is only two lanes through that area. Erin Mills Parkway is a regional road and all three lanes are needed.

I moved to the area 8 years ago and there were times I wanted to take public transit to my work in Port Credit so my wife could have the car. It couldn't be done in a functional, productive manner. By car it is 19 minutes. Public transit was 67.That Delta is insane. Even by bicycle it was faster.

I'm sorry but removing traffic lanes in the area, particularly with all the condo construction on Eglinton is pure madness.

Watching these places densify is fascinating but its all for nought if they stop there. Once the density is there, you build a wall of shops, restaurants, cultural destinations, amenities, etc. along these absurdly wide thoroughfares to service the larger population. Surely the last phase of urbanization will be turning these 'highways' into proper city streets with sidewalks people want to stroll along? 15-25 foot wide sidewalks made of quality pavers, heavy landscaping, etc. (No concrete)

Lane reductions on their own is a recipe for disaster. You have to build COMFORTABLE, RELIABLE, FAST PT: subways, LRT, bike lanes, etc. before you take the lanes out. Getting back to my initial point, if all we're doing is buildings tall buildings this whole exercise is a colossal failure. Surely building density is a means to an end? Surely this is not to create more customers for malls and big box outlets? It's to build populations who can walk to the store, cafe, school, work, etc. Or at the worst, its a 10 minute LRT trip.
Yes, I wouldn't want lanes removed on their own with no further improvements.

Areas like this need a comprehensive overhaul: wide sidewalks, protected bike lanes, fast and frequent BRT, traffic calming, high density residential with lower parking ratios, lots of retail and amenities, parks etc

Understand that EMP was always designed as a thoroughfare to move traffic through the region from north/south. It's got a 70km/h speed limit and there are no non-signalized intersections between the QEW and at least Eglinton, nor are there houses fronting Erin Mills. I think it was 2017 when they finally put in the traffic signal at the secondary school north of Dundas. Every other location without signals requires a right turn out onto EMP.

Bike lanes/Multiuse path were added south of Burnhamthorpe during the two year rebuild of EMP back in 2018 and 2019 although I haven't tried them yet simply because I haven't been on my bike in a couple of years because of time constraints looking after my little one. It looks good at least from the road and does have signals.

Eglinton is a different story. West of EMP, High rises on the southside and the mall on the northside. The bigger problem is further east - all low rise single family homes and that's not changing.

Overall, the area works. The only thing I would have liked is for MI-way to have a route that just runs straight down EMP from BRT terminal at EMP to Clarkson GO. I haven't checked lately to see if this is the case but in the past the meandering across all manner of streets was worse than a drunken sailor trying to make it back to his ship.

Edge tower 1 floor 32 in the foreground, M1 and M2 in the background.
3:47PM January 8th 2022.

What
A
View!!!

DJI_0292.JPG

I'm posting a bit out of order. Still have some Dec 31 and January 4th photos to go through but had to get out of the house this afternoon. This photo was up on my monitor while watching the Leaf game tonight (Ugh!!!) and I couldn't leave it alone. Lots happening here but I think this will actually be a favourite of mine over the years to come.
DJI_0268e.jpg

Finally back in the sky after a three week hiatus. Didn't get many flights in today but here's one from today.
DJI_0330.JPG

A real hodge podge of density here in Port Credit with M-city visible in the upper left.
DJI_0334.JPG

Finally had a narrow window where I could actually fly.
DJI_0390.JPG

DJI_0384.JPG
DJI_0388.JPG

Back