Toronto Smart House | 82.6m | 25s | Urban Capital | a—A

Presumably the large windows face north because there will be less heat gain from direct sunlight from that direction. Foster took a similar approach with the energy-conscious Leslie Dan Pharmacy building, where the smaller windows are also located higher up to counteract more hours of sunlight, and where the labs with fewer people working in are located.

It's just O.K.

agreed...

And I doubt the paneling will look as clean as in the renderings ... if it's just exposed concrete painted it will look like ... well ... crap.

I'll take the building across the street any day.

Thank you vox!

If one looks in detail at the floor plan, you'd see a slot shaped space labelled "thermal chimney" - a natural ventilation design feature found in very few of our buildings - notably, KPMB's Manitoba Hydro HQ. The extensive use of opaque surfaces on the east and western facades also appears to refer to the 60:40 ratio for opaque/glass cladding, which helps to reduce solar heat gain.

Impressive. Can't wait to see this one rise!

AoD

It's an office tower version of Lumiere condo on Bay St! Not bad, but yeah I can see a facaderectomy performed on the old bank building.

Though I don't mind it remaining a single-storey Greco-Egyptian-Deco jewel box "bank pavilion" sort of affair. Less awkward than Campbell House across the way...

Its alright but was expecting a bit more from the sounds of where they were coming from. Its either lacking some detail or maybe it might turn out really sleek if they use large expanses of glass without many separations.

thanks for the renderings...

I think it makes a great counterpoint to the Can Life Tower... both are post modern I guess, the existing tower round and curvy, this new one a very sharp and angular box. Again, a very appropriate eastern end point to the Queen West strip... love the way it fills in the visual gap between the Sheraton and FCP. Looking forward to seeing this become reality!

I like some of the elements and think its a smart, handsome design.

The two rendering viewpoints demonstrate that it certainly does look awkward and out of scale with the neighbouring bank building (it basically ignores the smaller building) and it certainly looks a bit overwhelming and bulky in a neighbourhood of 2 and 3 story lowrises (the viewpoint from the west). Queen Street's charm will not be found in its highrises.

City Core Centre, 215 Queen Street West (&CO)

came across this proposal by City Core Development, described as "a proposed 18 storey, 150,000 sqare foot office and retail building" on the south side of Queen Street West, west of the CIBC building abutting Simcoe Street", I see a Shoppers Drug Mart on the ground floor in the renderings

Northeast + Northwest Elevations
picLCCCNE.jpg
picLCCCNw.jpg

Ground Floor Plan
picSCCCMFP.jpg

I can't seem to find any City Planning applications on this yet, I guess this site will just need Site Plan Approval ... :)

I wish this building could be set back from the street a bit more. As it stands, it will be a very looming presence over a low-rise, pedestrian oriented street.

I think it's too late for that, the top heavy building across the street has enough 'loomingess' for ten buildings. Every time I walk by there my shoulders hunch up because it feels like it's going to fall on top of me.

57301.jpg

What I'd like to know is what the hell is that reflective surface near the back of the Police cruiser on the bottom right....

It looks like the designer forgot to turn off an unused layer.. lol

Back