1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Small towns in the German Alps

R

ronald1987

In April I visited the German Alps (the Bavarian Alps I should say) for 3 days to do some hiking in the mountains and to see some historic towns.
Since this is an urban forum, I'll post pics of the small towns. Enjoy!

Small Church facing lake Constance

Driving through some small town along Lake Constance.

The Youth Hostel in Lindau, an ideal place to stay. Good Value!

Small creek flowing through town.

As dusk arrives, we're looking at Lake Constance (The other shore you can see is Austria!).

Welcome to Lindau!

Sorry this one is a bit dark. Note the weaponstore in the back (Waffenmutil)

the local Church.

Town square.

The church again, seen from the front.

This house is 500 years old.

More old houses.

That's it for Lindau, a Bavarian town on Lake Constance.
The next pics were taken in Oberstdorf, a skiing resort.

View of Oberstdorf from surrounding mountains.

When going to an indoor Beergarten that night, we were surprised by "Bern", a folk musician who sang well-known Schlager songs. Schlagers are kind of the German equivalent of redneck country music.

Looking at a small village from a viewpoint somewhere high up the mountains.

Not really urban, but still one of Europe's most famous landmarks. Castle Neuschwanstein.

Fussen, a town near the Castle.

the main street

Small fortress in the town center.

When driving on the road, you might pass some places that have pretty weird names, to an English-speaking person!

Hope you enjoyed!

Thanks for the tour... there's just too much going on in Europe.

What exactly do you mean?
There aren't a lot of people on those pics, true, except maybe the pics taken in Oberstdorf.
It's because I took most pics during the evening. And besides that, these are towns in an area where many people go on holidays in the summer. It just wasn't the main season for tourism yet (April). Even if the streets seem empty, the restaurants and cafés were pretty full.

I mean there's so much to see in Europe, much more than the standard destinations you hear about. I've never heard of these towns before but they look very cool.

Thanks! Great pics from the "Texas of Germany."

Doesn't look much like Texas to me, mind you.

Ganjavih, I guess I misunderstood you. Yes, there really is a lot to see in Europe. Much more than just Paris, London, Rome and Dutch windmills. I've lived here 19 years, and I've made about 25 trips to France, Germany, the UK, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Greece, Austria, Belgium and Holland. And there still are so many places that I still want to visit (even though I'm saving money for future travel to North America now).

I didn't know they had any concept of "redneck country music" in Europe. I guess I thought they would be singing "Sound of Music", inspired by the Austrian mountains you showed ;)

Nice pictures.

^ :lol

Great episode...

hazel11.jpg

Looney Tunes... way ahead of its time.

Better redneck country music than "Tomorrow belongs to me."

@ Observer Walt: Schlagers indeed sound somewhat like the sound of music. At least, it sounds more like the sound of music than N-American country music.
It's because it isn't country music, it's the European (and German in particular) equivalent of it.

You can check it out online:
on german radio

Back