SkyriseCities.com (our new International Site) and Forum Changes

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by Edward Skira, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Edward Skira

Edward Skira http://skyrisecities.com Staff Member

Hi all,

We have just launched a brand new website. It is called SkyriseCities,and it is a world version of UrbanToronto. It contains almost 3000 projects from 282 cities worldwide. It follows the UT format of an integrated urban site featuring news, database, map and forum. Our full launch is coming in the next few weeks but in the meantime we are giving you as UT members a first look at the beta release. You can login to the SRC website using your existing UT user name and password.

You'll notice that we've made some major changes to the UT Forum. Some forum sections have been changed and some threads are being moved to better integrate into the SRC Forum. The other significant changes you'll notice are in the former Project & Construction section. It is now called "Buildings" and we've merged in the low-rise projects. Thread titles have now been automated for projects that have a dataBase page in the format CITY | Project | Height | Storeys. This has also been done to integrate into the main SRC Forum. You'll see that each project on SRC has only one thread. The main one lives at the city level but you can also find it in the dynamic height-based sections at the top of the main SRC Forum page.

This is a big endeavour and we hope you'll enjoy what we've built. Please leave comments here.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/using-the-new-urban-toronto-forum.21675/

Thanks,

Edward Skira

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
    bangalorepr, alklay, MetroMan and 2 others like this.

2. Edward Skira

3. salsa

salsa Senior Member

I really like the map used in SRC, way better than the one we use on Urban Toronto. I say that because:

1. The pins are much larger and easier to click.

2. They are colour-coded based on the status of the project (e.g under construction, completed).

3. It uses Google maps instead of Bing.

4. There's a button on the top left side to filter out projects based on construction status and building type.

5. The map is much larger than UT because it has none of those side-bars getting in the way. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Untitled.

6. When you click on a pin in the SRC map, it provides significantly more information about the project compared to UT.
    Screen shot 2015-11-27 at 1.01.00 PM. Screen shot 2015-11-27 at 1.00.34 PM.

It would be amazing if UT can replace its map with the new one. I will definitely be using the new one from now on, it's just that it won't be as quickly accessible as the UT map (which is always just one click away via the "map" button at the top of the page).

4. Edward Skira

UT will be redone next year using SRC as the template. So look forward to a new map. You can actually use UT on the SRC forum without missing anything and then you get the google version of the map.

Skeezix likes this.
  5. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Superstar

edit: meant to post this in the City Planning sticky. oops.

ooh I like this idea.

Also, is there any way the sticky's can be cleaned up a little? When you are on mobile the sticky's take up the entire first screen / page of threads... Even dropping a couple could make browsing a lot better.. Just a suggestion of course.

6. Edward Skira

Is on our list to do.

Skeezix likes this.
  7. Edward Skira

8. mischa

mischa New Member

what is the Edmonton and Vancouver..?

9. WislaHD

WislaHD Senior Member

They are cities in Canada.

Edmonton[​IMG]i/ˈɛdməntən/ is the capital city of the Canadian province of Alberta. Edmonton is on the North Saskatchewan River and is the centre of the Edmonton Capital Region, which is surrounded by Alberta's central region. The city had a population of 932,546 in 2016, making it Alberta's second-largest city and Canada's fifth-largest municipality.[5] Also in 2016, Edmonton had a metropolitan population of 1,321,426, making it the sixth-largestcensus metropolitan area (CMA) in Canada.[7] Edmonton is North America's northernmost city with a metropolitan population over one million. A resident of Edmonton is known as an Edmontonian.

Vancouver ([​IMG]i/vænˈkuːvər/) is a coastal seaport city in Canada, located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia. As the most populous city in the province, the 2016 census recorded 631,486 people in the city, up from 603,502 in 2011. The Greater Vancouver area (Metropolitan Vancouver) had 2,463,431 versus 2,313,328 in 2011, making it the third largest metropolitan area in Canada. Vancouver has the highest population density in Canada with over 5,400 people per square kilometre.[4][5] With over 250,000 residents, Vancouver municipality is the fourth most densely populated city in North America behind New York City,San Francisco,[6] and Mexico City according to the 2011 census. In that census, Vancouver was one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse cities in Canada; 52% of its residents have a first language other than English.[7][8] Vancouver is classed as a Beta global city. Vancouver is consistently named as one of the top five worldwide cities for livability and quality of life,[9][10] and the Economist Intelligence Unit acknowledged it as the first city ranked among the top-ten of the world's most well living cities[11] for five consecutive years.

10. mischa

mischa New Member

WislaHD... thanx for improving my knowledge... and what is meaning of canada...?

11. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

mischa has just been banned, so don't bother wasting anymore time responding.

12. DtTO

DtTO Active Member

I'm not sure if this is the place to post feedback, but I'll do it here and will move it elsewhere if it isn't appropriate. First of all, I love SkyriseCities. It's great to be able to look at development in other cities I'm interested in, like Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, and international cities on one website with regular updates, so thanks for launching it!

However, I am having a few issues:

1) On my Mac, running the latest OS, using Safari, when I click a link to go to a forum page, like a building page, when going back, it sometimes doesn't go back properly to the list of buildings. If I check my links going back, I can see that there are several (3+) links to the building page that I'm on, so if I click back several times consecutively, it'll go back to the building list forum page that should only be one click backwards.

2) This isn't really a bug, but more of a request; the top header is very large and takes up a significant amount of screen real estate. On other websites where this is the case, that top header disappears when scrolling downwards, but not on SkyriseCities, which makes browsing, especially on a small mobile screen, really uncomfortable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and again, if this isn't the right place for this, please let me know where I can move it to.

13. Edward Skira

14. DtTO

DtTO Active Member

I hadn't been on the website on my phone in a while, but I see it's been fixed; that's great! Thanks.

15. DtTO

DtTO Active Member

Is there an ETA for a fix on the back issue? I've been going on Skyrise more frequently since the header issue was fixed, but the back issue makes navigating more difficult :(

I'm not sure if this helps, but here's a screenshot of the issue (notice the duplicates in the back button). Clicking the back button just refreshes the current page, basically, and I have to click it several times in quick succession or hold the back button and select the previous page from the list to actually get it to work:

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 12.53.13.