News   Mar 28, 2024
 88     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 227     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Skymark Plaza redev (3555 Don Mills Road, 34 + 28 + 25 + 7s, Brown + Storey) DEAD

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init

3555 DON MILLS RD
Ward 24 - North York OPA / Rezoning 12 141750 NNY 24 OZ Mar 23, 2012 ---

Redevelop the site with a mixed use development comprised of 4 residential buildings with 1,044 residential units (918 condo units and 100 seniors rental units and 26 stacked townhouse condo units);a stand-alone retail buildng with a 4,945 sq.m. grocery store and pharmacy. Total proposed commercial gfa is 11,723 square metres (10,283 sq.m. retail space and 1,440 sq.m. office/medical space). Total of 1,540 parking spaces in 2 and 3 levels of underground parking. Building heights are 7, 25, 28 and 34 storeys.

This is nuts! I just found this listing while cruising through my wards development applications. I live right here and I'm completely surprised by this!

This stretch of Don Mills from Finch south to Sheppard is an extremely dense corridor - I've always wanted to see more intensification along here like the sort happening at Yonge & Sheppard. Most of the antiquated buildings here have large plots of unused land, mostly artificial hills providing a "closed environment" for folks living in the building. This land could be put to better use although I can't see the residents in this area being game for that. Most of them are retirees / seniors.

I am pleased to see this project though - hopefully it will lead to a similar redevelopment of Peanut Plaza and the surrounding area / community centres. With Emerald City + the redevelopment of the government housing north of Fairview mall taking shape, I hope that developers start knocking on some doors around here..

Last edited:
I too have just become aware of this plan, although I cannot find the number on the toronto.ca website.
The former writer appears a little geographically challenged. This site comprises a block north of finch which counting the buildings along finch numbers TWELVE medium to high rise condominiums. This is NOT in the referenced area called the "peanut Plaza".
This plan appears to add 1044 additional residential units plus some retail space to this already very dense location.
Furthermore the there is no confirmed rapid transit plan for either Finch East or Don Mills.
Whatever are they thinking?

The site in question is Skymark Plaza. Jamziz never mentioned the site is "Peanut Plaza", rather mentioned that he hopes this sort of development a long Don Mills will spur the redevelopment of the "Peanut" in the future.

The site is right next to the 404, next door to Seneca, surrounded by 15 or so other highrises... so as far as intensification - I think it's pretty viable. This development reminds me of Markham Gate Summit just up the street at Don Mills and Steeles.

SKYMARK-PLAZA.jpg

Thanks Crizin4u. I am well aware that the site in question is Skymark Plaza. My point is that Jamziz's description of old buildings and artificial hills describes the area from Finch to the peanut plaza, which is not shown in your picture.

Your highlighted are does not include the already dense high rise condominiums on the northeast quadrant from Finch and Don Mills. The application for rezoning and redevelopment at the Sky Mark location would DOUBLE the residential occupancy of this area.

As for your comments regarding proximity to the 404 and Seneca Collage I have the following comments.
This kind of density, is more appropriate near public rapid transit as is the case along Yonge Street. There is no approved rapid transit plan for this area.
Proximity to the 404 is a benefit but only for car drivers. But there are only 1.5 parking slots per unit. This is a working ratio only where there is rapid transit as along Yonge or Sheppard.
I do not understand the benefit of the proximity to Seneca Collage unless the teachers decide to move in en mass. Students would not normally be able to afford such accommodation and a high percentage rental of condominium units would result in decreasing values all round.

I sense the reason for the re zoning and re development application is because the owner of the parcel in question is eager to cash in on the land value.
Alternately, a SIGNIFICANTLY scaled back project would provide a handsome profit for the owners while not ruining the livability of this 30 year old neighbourhood.

Having lived at the South West corner of that intersection for my whole life I've considered myself located at one of the most accessible corridors outside of downtown Toronto.

Located right at the 401 / 404 there is direct access to the highway. Located between two subway stations, Don mills to the south and Finch to the west, you're only a short bus ride away from the subway. I typically choose to bus to finch hopping on the 199 as it gets me to the station in under 10 mintues (and arrives frequently) and only another 20 or so minutes to get downtown. Some choose to go to Don Mills but I don't fancy transferring at sheppard. Although located near the northern terminus of the city I am constantly astonished at how easily I can get virtually anywhere in the city rather quickly. If a light rail line is installed at some point it would serve mostly to alleviate congestion on the bus but would only marginally decrease travel time. Also its worth mentioning that there art YRT stops at the intersection and a Viva stop outside of seneca college along Finch.

I would argue that this location for the time being is already well serviced and that this development is fully justified given the transit reality I described above.

This corridor along Don Mills really can be transformed and the neighbourhoods along it. Im extremely excited.

Last edited:
Gentlemen
I admire your civic spirit. I for one cannot get excited about increased transit and road congetsion.
...Unless perhapd I was a developer.
Regards

Proximity to the 404 is a benefit but only for car drivers. But there are only 1.5 parking slots per unit. This is a working ratio only where there is rapid transit as along Yonge or Sheppard.

Huh? I seriously had to shake my head and reread that. I realize this isn't the most centrally located development and so most would probably need a car, but really.. Just how many do you think is necessary?
And as for screaming murder on transit, how long does it take to hop on a bus and be at Finch station from here? Can't be more than 5 minutes.

I found out a little more information on the development.
The units in the condominiums will range in size from 592 sq. ft. - 861 sq. ft.

In addition to the 3 stories of underground parking, there will be 47 surface spots.

Unfortunately, the Skymark Towers development is playing the role of NIMBY and will oppose this development. I don't suppose there is much risk because the Skymark Towers are the original large-scale development in what was once a low-rise neighbourhood and now are hypocritical in opposing more development.

The condo board is urging owners to go to council and stop this development for the typical reasons; blocked views, dust, traffic, noise, yada yada yada. About the views, I don't really see the problem because for most condo owners the view is across the plaza into the other Skymark Towers.

Additionally, they are concerned that the small unit sizes will attract investors who will rent them out to students and "damage the character of the neighbourhood, lowering property values" (I am paraphrasing the document given to owners at Skymark). To me, this is a bit ridiculous because Seneca College is right there!

I have family living in three of the five Skymark towers (8th, 21st, and PH in their respective condos) and can say that from any of the units the view is not that amazing.
I will feel the loss of greatChinese restaurants like Grass Mountain Villa and Fantaxia, though. Here's hoping they move in to the new development! :D

Anyway, I just thought I would inform all the UTers of what is going on down there.
Cheers.

Unfortunately, the Skymark Towers development is playing the role of NIMBY and will oppose this development. I don't suppose there is much risk because the Skymark Towers are the original large-scale development in what was once a low-rise neighbourhood and now are hypocritical in opposing more development.

The condo board is urging owners to go to council and stop this development for the typical reasons; blocked views, dust, traffic, noise, yada yada yada. About the views, I don't really see the problem because for most condo owners the view is across the plaza into the other Skymark Towers.

Oh the irony.

Additionally, they are concerned that the small unit sizes will attract investors who will rent them out to students and "damage the character of the neighbourhood, lowering property values" (I am paraphrasing the document given to owners at Skymark). To me, this is a bit ridiculous because Seneca College is right there!

These new buildings will not affect the Seneca students too much. Most of those Seneca students look for rooms in the $300-500 basement unit types, many would not be able to afford $1200-1300 1-bedroom apartments, or $700-900 1+1/2 bedroom apartments.

I have personally looked at one of these old apartment buildings as well as some semi's at don mills/finch area to rent to Seneca students. there's a lot of competition of rental units in the area, and the return is definitely a lot lower than students willing to pay at places within walking to the subway line.

Proposed project would replace Skymark Plaza with condos

Residents sign petition against proposed development in Don Mills-Finch area

"More than 1,350 residents have signed a petition against a proposal that calls for Skymark Plaza to be replaced with a mixed-use condo tower development, the co-chair of a ratepayers' group says."

"In every other aspect, it is destructive to the character, quality and utility of everything else that surrounds it."

"Our opposition is not trivial. It is not frivolous. It is real," he said.

Read more about it - http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...oject-would-replace-skymark-plaza-with-condos

Willowdale Councillor David Shiner said long-time residents are "absolutely shocked" by the proposed project because it would take out the plaza, which is the centre of the community. The plaza was built in the late 1970s.
Really? Now I don't live there but is the small plaza really the centre of the community? They won't even lose the grocery store or pharmacy which are probably the most important businesses there.

Last edited:

Back