Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

So ridiculous! It is in the core of the city and replacing a parking lot, and won't have any negative affect on the area!

The main objection to the OMB decision is not really the result (though in my opinion, the building 'podium' is too high on Church Street.). The City is asking the Divisional Court for an appeal and the OMB itself for a review. One major problem is that the Board member rejected neighbourhood opinion (it was too 'local') and also said that if the City does not settle it cannot expect any Section 37 benefits. These two things could, if not appealed or reviewed, become a precedent. See the actual decision at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/pl121394-Jul-31-2014.pdf

The main objection to the OMB decision is not really the result (though in my opinion, the building 'podium' is too high on Church Street.). The City is asking the Divisional Court for an appeal and the OMB itself for a review. One major problem is that the Board member rejected neighbourhood opinion (it was too 'local') and also said that if the City does not settle it cannot expect any Section 37 benefits. These two things could, if not appealed or reviewed, become a precedent. See the actual decision at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/pl121394-Jul-31-2014.pdf

From my reading of the decision, the person whose opinion was rejected was seeking to be qualified as an expert, and offering his opinion as an expert opinion. One of the requirements of qualification as expert being that the person be an otherwise disinterested party, which in this instance was not the case, as the individual in question was clearly a participant in the community opposing the project.

Agreed with AHK.

My reading of the refusal to apply a Section 37 award is due to the way the City approached it in this particular this application, and is not an indication that the OMB would refuse to ratify the Section 37 awards in other applications. This one is all about the fine print.

The plan for the ground level of 60 Colborne has changed. No more arches, no more vermiculated rustication. You may have found it ugly, I found it very interesting. The plan now is for rectangular windows in projecting stainless steel frames. Haven't seen pics yet, but it could still look quite good.

The plan for the ground level of 60 Colborne has changed. No more arches, no more vermiculated rustication. You may have found it ugly, I found it very interesting. The plan now is for rectangular windows in projecting stainless steel frames. Haven't seen pics yet, but it could still look quite good.

Without the arches and rust-coloured window frames on the base, I now literally couldn't care less if this thing goes under. Bring on the appeal of the OMB decision.

Without the arches and rust-coloured window frames on the base, I now literally couldn't care less if this thing goes under. Bring on the appeal of the OMB decision.

Agree. The arches and rust coloured frames were fabulous. It was one of those 'FINALLY!' moments. But of course we can't have nice things. Let's strip out everything that's visually interesting. Those people that like beige might have an aneurysm otherwise.

Toronto typical. So another lifeless glass box.

My understanding is that construction starts next month.

So basically they are taking away the few things that made this development interesting. And what if there were people who bought here because they loved the unique design of the building? It's just too bad for them? I seriously cannot believe this happens in this city. It's just wrong. Developers need to deliver what they have promised or purchasers should be allowed to drop out. If developers can change their minds, why can't buyers? Everything seems so unbalanced, in favour of the developers and it's not fair to condo buyers.

Back