Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

The site is just a little south of Spire on the same street so I don't see why a highrise building would be completly ruled out. Personally I'd rather see a midrise building there but considering the site's SW position to the cathedral and park I'm not so sure there would be a significant shadow impact on it by a tall building. Either way it will be nice to see another asphalt lot go.

Ok.. so there is definitely something happening here. I heard rumours of an 8 storey condo, with setbacks, and they are preparing for community consultations.

Only 8? What a waste of a prime downtown site. The city should deny them such low density for that site. Something with a decent podium with set backs and a tall slender tower or nothing at all.

I dunno...I think one of Toronto's biggest problems is this notion that a site should only be built out at, say, 50+ stories if it's anwhere within 10KM of Bay and King. It's one of the reasons, IMO, that even after the massive development of the current cycle there will still be a fair number of empty lots. Let's spread it around a bit at lower heights and complete the urban fabric. We're getting plenty of skyscrapers, and even if every empty site fills up there will still be more in the next cycle. Just supply and demand...

Edit: and don't forget that Paris is built out at uniformly 8 stories...and it's significantly denser than any Canadian city.

8 stories sounds great. Nice bit of density which should add some character. Should also maintain the views from the grand ballroom at the King Edward if they ever eventually want to renovate it.

Paris' 24000 people per square kilometer is impressive and makes us look suburban in comparison. Yet we have many more skyscrapers. I agree that would be grand if that ballroom was renovated.

We're not Paris, and the way the city is right now the only way to ad density without kicking people out of their Victorian homes to build Parisian streetscapes is to build up. This is north America and the best example of how we should handle our downtown core would be Manhattan or Chicago, great bases, set backs and tall towers. This lot is way to close to the core and subway line that 8 stories just seems like a waste. 8 storey's East of church or west of Spadina is fine. Lets go North American verticle in the core and European dense outside of that. Within 1 or two blocks from a transit hub should be classified as super high density 25+ floors, 3-6 blocks high density and beyond that is up for discussion.

That lot needs some serious TLC though, the shops and restaurants across the street are gems and feel like they inhabit one of the last neglected sections of the downtown core. An 8 floor building here would just be for the elite.

Why doesn't the city with the few remaining outer lots in the core say that builders must provide some space at a lower cost to cultural venues, for example art galleries, museums, theatre etc. instead of art installations (only in the core). This would really ad life to an area.

No matter what you say, you just can't ad the density that site deserves and the city requires in 8 floors. I don't need a skyscraper at every corner but this site is the right place for one. 8 floors will barely crest the roofs of the 5 storey century old buildings across the street from it.

I'd go five to eight for the podium with a tower on the west side near the King Eddy. Make the tower a condo with the podium office (or all office if demand is there).

Should also maintain the views from the grand ballroom at the King Edward if they ever eventually want to renovate it.

I think they don't have enough fire escapes and it would cost a lot to add them now.

My condo newsletter indicates Great Gulf has submitted a proposal to the city for this lot. A high-rise that the condo people intend to fight because of the "proposed height" and the fact that it fails to respect the "heritage character of the neighbourhood". I'll report further when I hear more.

Back