Markham Shouldice Hospital Redevelopment | ?m | 35s | Liberty Development

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
Recently the city of Markham has received a complete application and more details are emerging. Some publicly available docs from Markham city planning attached.

Three towers proposed at 35, 31 and 11 floors with 1,287 units and 1,416 parking spaces.

Apparently there's a 16 year lease remaining on the hospital. I assume this means any redevelopment is far down the line. Or will the developer buy out the lease?

Is Liberty that fraudulent Markham developer which made the news a few years back or am I mixing up something?

A-101 Statistics.jpg
Rendering.jpg

A-104 Context Site Plan and Site Sections.jpg
A-410 Building Sections.png

Last edited:
I'm not certain in some spots where the property line is with the Golf Course.........

But it looks to be about a 6ha, 15-acre parcel:

1606412505067.png

@Undead

May I ask where you got the planning documents? I don't see them in Markam's e-plan.

PS. Why do you have your settings so that people can't converse w/you?

@Undead

May I ask where you got the planning documents? I don't see them in Markam's e-plan.

PS. Why do you have your settings so that people can't converse w/you?

I heard about this through the grape vine and emailed the city. They sent me the docs. I had the settings adjusted for higher privacy, guess I ticked one too many boxes. Changed them now. Feel free to reach out :)

I heard about this through the grape vine and emailed the city. They sent me the docs. I had the settings adjusted for higher privacy, guess I ticked one too many boxes. Changed them now. Feel free to reach out :)

Thanks, I was curious, in respect of the plans (I wonder why they aren't online???) ........ because this is TRCA jurisdiction, and there are watercourses on the south and west sides of this parcel as indicated by the floodplain map.

It would be normal course of business to require 10M from stable top of bank to be deeded to the TRCA in this type of application.

I can't assess from what I'm seeing but it doesn't look to me like that is what's proposed.

I'm also of the opinion that the there would be a desire to preserve the established forests.

Further, I would imagine a desire to extend the trail system from nearby Pomona Mills Park, along the N-S waterway at the very least; and to have public access through this site from the east.

I'm not sure there's enough space to run a useful pathway atop the the E-W tributary.

Even the place where you get your belly button hernia etc problems fixed . Are not even save from the condo developers . But at least these buildings look appealing for this area. Blending nicely with the golf course and greenery around it . By using plant live, trees and bushes on this development .

Much more information here: https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=40736

Some of the important tidbits:

North Towers – Two (2) towers at twenty-four (24) and thirty-five (35) storeys, connected by a six (6) storey podium
  • North West and West Towers – Two (2) towers at thirty-one (31) storeys (NorthWest Tower) and eighteen (18) storeys (West Tower), connected by a six (6) storey podium
  • South West Tower - A single tower at twenty-one (21) storeys
  • A total Gross Floor Area (GFA) of 111,712 m2 (1,202,497 ft2 )
  • A total area of 495.8 m2 (26,864.6 ft2 ) of indoor amenity space
  • A total area of 3,217.5 m2 (34,632.ft2 ) of outdoor amenity space
  • A site density of 4.08 FSI
  • A total of 1,287 residential units
  • A total of 1,287 residential parking spaces and 117 visitor parking spaces in three (3) levels of underground parking, and twelve (12) at-grade visitor parking spaces
  • A total of 952 bicycle parking spaces
  • A 1.8 ha. (4.4 ac.) open space block that contains the valley lands and environmental buffer along the western and southern limits of the subject lands will be conveyed to the City
  • Additional 725 units are permitted on the site in the future second phase
  • Combined total of 2,012 units are proposed to be accommodated on the Shouldice Hospital site
  • Extension of Royal Orchard Boulevard
Lots of heritage preservation and retention here..
  • The retention of the existing Shouldice Hospital facilities including the surface parking areas
  • The retention of the McCullagh Estate House, Gatehouse, Stable building, Gardener’s Cottage, Formal Gardens
No additional renderings or diagrams that was not already posted above

It will be a shame losing the hospital's lawn. It's a nice walking route connecting to Pomona Creek.

Community consultations scheduled for Sept 8, 15 and 29. Email from councilor Irish:

screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-2021-08-26-15_04_06.png

Community consultation has begun on a development proposal that seeks to bring over a thousand new residential units to the current site of Thornhill’s Shouldice Hospital.

The City of Markham has received the official plan and zoning by-law amendment applications by Liberty Developments for 7750 Bayview Ave., the current site of the hospital, which is one of Canada’s few private healthcare facilities and specializes in hernia procedures. The amendments would allow for the development of three buildings on the site, consisting of five combined towers ranging from 18 to 35 storeys and home to 1,287 residential units.

The applications mark the beginning of the first phase of a long-term, multi-phased development of the property. The hospital itself will be unaffected and will continue to operate under a lease arrangement for 16 more years.

At a public meeting on Sept. 9, held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic, residents heard from representatives of Liberty Developments regarding the proposed development’s impact on stormwater management and transportation.

--------
According to Liberty’s presentation, the development will coincide with traffic improvement measures in the area, such as an extension of Royal Orchard Blvd to intersect with Bayview Avenue at the signalized intersection at Green Lane.

Over the longer term, Liberty contends that their studies show development in the area will continue to be acceptable with regards to traffic due to future planned improvements such as the widening of Bayview Avenue and the addition of HOV lanes, and the extension of the Yonge subway line.

According to Tim Arnott of BA consulting group, retained by Liberty Developments, a private shuttle service is planned for the development, which would provide direct connections to rapid transit stations and would be overseen by the condominium board.

“I think the appeal of the shuttle for those who would look into buying a residence here is that they could facilitate their travel without using a car,” said Arnott, who said the shuttle will likely connect with Finch station at first, and later with the planned Clarke station on the proposed Yonge subway extension.

Future community meetings are due to be held virtually on Sept 23, where heritage preservation and building heights and built form are due to be discussed, and Oct 6, where the discussion will be the overall project.

should.JPG

Back