News   Apr 25, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 431     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Should the TTC subway map include streetcar lines?

G

GregWTravels

Over at Reading Toronto, Graeme Stewart is proposing that the TTC subway map be expanded to include street car lines.

REPRESENTING OUR CITY - A NEW TRANSIT MAP FOR TORONTO!

Toronto, at times, can be especially talented at under-representing itself — maybe due to Canadian modesty. The design of our transit system map might be one of those times.

Toronto’s subway map models itself after classic systems such as New York and London, displaying our subway as separate from the rest of the network. Because of this technique of ‘isolation as clarification,’ our City is rendered as provincial; four lines surrounded by a vast field of black emptiness. This is the map used in guidebooks to describe transit. According to it, Toronto has very little to offer.

It’s interesting however, that when explaining to a visitor where to go in the City, it’s usually to a place in the ‘blackness’ – a place which according to the main map doesn’t exist and is impossible to get to. But when looking to the full system map for transit clarification, one is overloaded with technical schematic more suited to engineers than the general public. Usually it’s faster just to ask someone.

Toronto has North America’s largest streetcar network. The network itself is perhaps the urban gesture which best describes the City, at least downtown. This is in part thanks to Hans Blumenfeld, the infamous Metro planner who left the US during the McCarthy era. While much of the US was tearing down their streetcars, he ensured ours remained. (That Blumenfeld was also the architect behind the Spadina and Corsstown Expressway is an irony). Today the streetcar is in many ways the jewel of the system, and key to plans for expansion into light rail. Our streetcars are celebrated; both as a civic icons, and for the neighbourhoods they define.

Connectivity is the real success of Toronto’s system. Streetcar exchanges at Broadview and St. Clair West, and GO transfers at Kipling and Dundas West are examples of what makes the system work. Most transit riders don’t use the subway in isolation, but transfer between multiple modes. Yet finding the best rout is often a matter of trial and error; a trade secret among experienced riders. Clearly illustrating the connections within the network would show the extensiveness of the system we already have, and hint at the areas best suited for future expansion.

Many cities have been successful representing their systems as an integrated network. For example, Paris shows it’s Metro with the RER, as does Montreal. Berlin pairs the U-Bahn with S-Bahn as well as light rail, and Stuttgart its subway with trams.
If we adopt this ‘system’ approach to representation, Transit in Toronto suddenly looks like something to be proud of.

Graeme Stewart

Sample Maps:

readingcities.com/images/uploads/TTCMap.jpg

readingcities.com/images/uploads/TTCmap2.jpg

Silly idea. Streetcars are still just a better version of a bus and don't deserve to be on a rapid transit map. Guidebooks will continue to print "subway network maps" and if you need to get to a place off the metro network you will still need to use a system map, just as is standard in other cities around the world.

People have to use the right tool for the task they want to perform, it's not shocking and any tourist worth his salt would already know this.

If we want to be more European, maybe it's time to start using a different colour to identify the streetcar routes on the system maps.

Your second map has too much info, your first is great, and I'm going to keep a local copy if you don't mind. It's not so much for the streetcar & subway lines, more for the neighbourhoods each connects.

Connectivity is the real success of Toronto’s system. Streetcar exchanges at Broadview and St. Clair West, and GO transfers at Kipling and Dundas West are examples of what makes the system work.

Hah, "GO transfers". Just make sure you have a good amount of cash handy and someone tells you that Milton GO buses skip Kipling when the one-way rush hour-only trains aren't running.

I am in favour of the TTC providing all information that would be relevant to the rider. However, I would not want any rider to be misguided into thinking that they can take the "Queen" line and it will be comparable to taking a subway. I would only include streetcar lines that have ROWs, thus providing some increased reliability in service.

Check the A line. Hamilton is two stops before Burlington.

The Spadina streetcar line, and Harbourfront should be on there. Soon St.Clair's too as it will be dedicated pretty much to its own lanes, the others no. Also, GO lines no. It should focus on TTC only.

Great maps tho ;)

First, I should point out that they aren't my maps or my idea, just reprinting what I read somewhere else.

It's not so much for the streetcar & subway lines, more for the neighbourhoods each connects.

I like the neighbourhoods listed on the map as well. Not very handy for locals, but great on a tourist map.

I'm in favour of any streetcar line in an R.O.W. being represented on the map as I do feel they can be classified as "rapid transit." However, streetcar lines being operating in mixed traffic are anything but. As for GO train lines, I do feel they should be on the map (much like the subway is on GO's map), but shouldn't be full-fledged looking multi-coloured lines. Perhaps just a thin grey line similiar to what Montreal does would suffice.

To compare:

planmet2004.gif

I agree, I think the streetcar lines might be a bit excessive. But the GO lines should definitely be on there!

Instead of showing the actual line on the subway route map, icons can be used to show stations with transfers to GO, other transit systems or streetcars, like the existing icons for parking, and washrooms (who really cares about which station has washrooms?).

Your Burlington and Hamilton stations need to be flipped.

Hamilton-Aldershot-Burlington-Appleby

I like the idea of having the streetcar lines on the map.

I prefer the 2nd map as well.

I believe both are too busy to post above the doors in the subway cars. Besides, putting GO lines on the TTC rapid transit map would imply the same degree of service that one can expect from the subway and rt lines. If the TTC and GO were as well coordinated at the Metro and RER are, then I would want to see the GO lines on it. We are totally kidding ourselves, however, if we think that jumping on to a GO train for a portion of a mostly TTC ride through Toronto would make any sense for the vast majority of riders in GO's present state. And while frequent enough most of the time, streetcars are not fast enough to be included with the subways.

Every station has full maps of the system that are large enough to be fully legible, and which have a fuller explanation of how the whole system works. Ride Guides are availble too. Besides being too busy to be legible at a distance, these proposed maps would send people the wrong message about the speed and frequency of the GO and streetcar services.

Back