News   Apr 25, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

Should I join an independent or franchise brokerage?

drewp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need your expertise. I am currently in the process of getting my real estate license, and trying to choose between a francise (ie. remax, century 21, sutton) or an independent.

I have interviewed several franchises and really haven't felt a fit for any of them, plus some of the splits are hard to digest. They all say that they have the best training and brand recognition.

This is why I am leaning towards an independent because the broker of record seems to be really up front and enjoys mentoring her agents. The office only has about 15 agents, and she seems to really care about her companys success. She does a lot of charitable events and is a regular fixture in the community, plus she is extremely business savy.

Some of the franchises teach you different things, but they are all facilitated by different people so there really isnt the mentoring rapport that I am looking for.

That being said, a newbie like me starting in the industry without brand recognition could work for me or against me?

it will depend on the reputation and name recognition of this independent lady.

do your research on her and the company ...
how long has she been in the business as a realtor, and broker of record ?
does her office deal primarily in one/few areas of the city, or throughout, etc?
there's much more info you need to find/tell us to really provide an informed decision.

She was an owner of sutton for 9 years, and was a realtor for 20 years. The company she started has been around for 15 months. There are listings throughout the city. I told her that i was interested in condos in the downtown core and explained that I will farm a few condos to start, and she seemed to understand what I would need to do.

There was no sales pitch and she didn't seem desperate for me like the other ones I go to. The companies new and I wonder if someone wants to use me, will they decide elsewhere because of my companys name or will I brand myself well enough that the name does not matter.

Alot of these francises restrict how you choose to advertise, and want you to stay within the realms of there image which is something that i might not mesh well with, plius a lot of the full service brokerages might not be flexible with lowering your comission which is something i want to do in the begining to attract a clientele......so many choices!!!

Back