News   Jul 24, 2024
 4     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 189     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 707     0 

Should I buy a condo near Hydro Towers (Yonge/Finch)?

TigerEric

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

I was originally wanting to buy a condo near Yonge/Finch (ie. Tridel's Meridian, Menkes Luxe, etc.), but after walking around this area, I notice that there are a whole series of hydro towers and a hydro plant within one block of these condos (you can see it from the Finch Station passenger pick up area / GO/VIVA station platforms. Is this not good? I was reading how being too close to these hydro towers can causes cancer, specifically leukemia ... so now I am quite worried if I buy anything close to this area. Has anyone noticed this? Will this affect the resale value of the condo?

Thanks

It doesn't seem to affect values as most people don't care or don't seem to know about the effects of living right next to high voltage hydro towers. If you want to live at Yonge and Finch, then why not live on the south side of Finch? Plenty of condos to choose from and you're far enough away from the hydro transformer station that the effects are minimal. Also, the Tridel Meridian building south tower is far enough away that it shouldn't really affect anything.

The only thing the hydro men are is ugly, ugly, ugly and they'll never go away. I really don't think that there is some sinister plot to hide the insidious effects of hydro towers, there would have been a class action litigation party long ago if that were true.
It definitely does not affect the first sale and the resale values of the condos because it is the end of the subway line and the beginning of the Vaughan line, and it's all about transportation and convenience.
I live at Yonge and Finch, and I also used to live at Jane and Finch, and Jane and Finch has much more charm.
Yonge and Finch merchants, planners and condo corps have done nothing to bring the neighbourhood together and to co-ordinate it, and it won't happen automatically.

Don't think there's any conclusive evidence that living near power lines is unsafe. However this still definitely affects property values, because the perception is there and people with buying options would rather not risk possible health issues down the road if they don't have to. They are also kinda ugly to look at. So in general, these properties are likely priced cheaper now and in future will also sell cheaper than comparable properties that are not near the power lines.

The next question is how close is too close? I don't think the Luxe buildings are close enough to be of any concern to most people. They are also shielded by at least two buildings I think. Same goes with at least the south Meridian building.

To me personally, I think the benchmark of "too close" would be if I could pick up a rock and throw it and hit either a tower or line with it.

Back